• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yes, but lower magnification than yours (I think). It's a 2-7x 32mm on the PEPR mount. Adequate for under 200 yard shooting, and if I use it for hunting, I don't plan to shoot past 100 yards.

Ironically, had to stop twice on the way home (all 7 minutes) to let deer cross the road ... first a mother and her hesitant fawn and later a 6-8 point buck (was too fast to be certain but leaning toward more points).

Not a bad call on the magnification. Even though I rarely shoot more than 100 yards during deer season, it is still nice to be able to glass something that catches your eye, on the off chance it is that monster buck and it is coming your way. :D

My dad holds the long distance record of 125 yards and I hold the short distance record of 35 feet, at his place in WV. :shocked3:

Granted the distances up there aren't very long, maybe 150 yards at most, due to the foliage and the terrain, but still...

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    Great review. As far as I have seen 300BLK isn't known for "precision" shooting anyway.

I don't know about not being precision shooting. Mine is a tack driver both in Super and Subsonic. I have shot groups at 100 yards with all the holes touching. That said I reload and find that makes a big difference. The factory ammo seems to be unreliable and has a big impact on accuracy.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Not a bad call on the magnification. Even though I rarely shoot more than 100 yards during deer season, it is still nice to be able to glass something that catches your eye, on the off chance it is that monster buck and it is coming your way. :D

My dad holds the long distance record of 125 yards and I hold the short distance record of 35 feet, at his place in WV. :shocked3:

Granted the distances up there aren't very long, maybe 150 yards at most, due to the foliage and the terrain, but still...

Btw, got more 300 BLK brass for you today. It's starting to accumulate. :)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thank you! Eventually my shooting will improve too!

If I could only have one and needed it for a practical application such as deer hunting, I would just go for the bolt. It's less expensive, don't need to make gas adjustments depending on ammo or when shooting suppressed, and less things can go wrong. It's perhaps less capable than a semi-automatic AR if hog hunting, but I like simplicity.

If I had a reliable, easy to obtain, reasonably priced ammo source that worked well with the AR version, I might change my mind. The AR version is a lot of fun to shoot - and part of this is the whole familiarity with the manual of arms when dealing with an AR - as well as the infinite upgrades available (I love the Geissele G2S trigger that DA suggested that I get for this build!). But right now, I don't have an ammo source that I can easily obtain that is cheap and reliable (waiting for Walmart to stock 300 BLK!), so I'm not running a lot of rounds through it. I don't have the time to get into reloading at this point, so I'm just hoping the market will catch up and supply us with more options. I really want to fine tune the rifle to one particular ammo, but don't want to be spending >$1 per round stocking up on this source.

This is one of the attractions of AR-47 designs, or getting an upper such as this one ...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/18999/

Ammo is cheap and easy to obtain. The ballistics of 300 BLK (7.62x35) and 7.62x39 are comparable of course, and both are suitable for deer or hog hunting.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    If I had a reliable, easy to obtain, reasonably priced ammo source that worked well with the AR version, I might change my mind. The AR version is a lot of fun to shoot... But right now, I don't have an ammo source that I can easily obtain that is cheap and reliable... I don't have the time to get into reloading at this point (But that's where the fun and less expensive ammo is...) so I'm just hoping the market will catch up and supply us with more options (don't hold your breath...). I really want to fine tune the rifle to one particular ammo, but don't want to be spending >$1 per round stocking up on this source.

You kinda have a dilemma. None of us want to pay $1 per round to shoot 300 BLK. Reloading will give you more accurate ammo at a much cheaper price tag. It's a matter of making the time. It really isn't all that hard - especially when you start with only one caliber in mind. ;)

Since I got my AR upper I've been making my own 300 BLK out of an endless supply of free 223/556 range cases for over a year. Many different bullets to choose from. Both IMR 4227 and H110 both work great in 300 BLK and have been easy to find for me.

Now that I have the Ruger to go with my AR I realized I've only scratched the surface on finding the right load for each rifle.

Food for thought, fidelity...

:innocent0

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    You kinda have a dilemma. None of us want to pay $1 per round to shoot 300 BLK. Reloading will give you more accurate ammo at a much cheaper price tag. It's a matter of making the time. It really isn't all that hard - especially when you start with only one caliber in mind. ;)

Since I got my AR upper I've been making my own 300 BLK out of an endless supply of free 223/556 range cases for over a year. Many different bullets to choose from. Both IMR 4227 and H110 both work great in 300 BLK and have been easy to find for me.

Now that I have the Ruger to go with my AR I realized I've only scratched the surface on finding the right load for each rifle.

Excellent points and insight!

Once you are up and running, how much to you estimate it costs per round for a 'typical' cartridge? (I know there are a lot of variables, but at least spitball it)

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Excellent points and insight!

Once you are up and running, how much to you estimate it costs per round for a 'typical' cartridge? (I know there are a lot of variables, but at least spitball it)

Yep, there is an initial cost on equipment and supplies. A cost accountant would be needed to factor in amortization, repair and maintenance, overhead, time, beagle food and all that stuff. When you take those items out of the equation and look at only components:

- Component costs on my FMJ rounds are about 42 cents (high end) using free range cases converted to 300 BLK.
    - My gas checked CB rounds using free cases and cheap lead aren't much more than shooting "high end" .22's these days. And a LOT more fun...

;)

Attachments

• Component Cost.JPG
      Component Cost.JPG
      57.6 KB · Views: 510
    • Cartridges.JPG
      Cartridges.JPG
      59.1 KB · Views: 538

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Thank you! Eventually my shooting will improve too!

If I could only have one and needed it for a practical application such as deer hunting, I would just go for the bolt. It's less expensive, don't need to make gas adjustments depending on ammo or when shooting suppressed, and less things can go wrong. It's perhaps less capable than a semi-automatic AR if hog hunting, but I like simplicity.

If I had a reliable, easy to obtain, reasonably priced ammo source that worked well with the AR version, I might change my mind. The AR version is a lot of fun to shoot - and part of this is the whole familiarity with the manual of arms when dealing with an AR - as well as the infinite upgrades available (I love the Geissele G2S trigger that DA suggested that I get for this build!). But right now, I don't have an ammo source that I can easily obtain that is cheap and reliable (waiting for Walmart to stock 300 BLK!), so I'm not running a lot of rounds through it. I don't have the time to get into reloading at this point, so I'm just hoping the market will catch up and supply us with more options. I really want to fine tune the rifle to one particular ammo, but don't want to be spending >$1 per round stocking up on this source.

This is one of the attractions of AR-47 designs, or getting an upper such as this one ...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/review/product/list/id/18999/

Ammo is cheap and easy to obtain. The ballistics of 300 BLK (7.62x35) and 7.62x39 are comparable of course, and both are suitable for deer or hog hunting.

I always knew I was a bad influence and an enabler, but damn!

If you ever want to take an hour or so and crank out 300-500 rounds of 300BLK reloads, come on over and use the Dillon. She will be fully calibrated within the next 2 weeks for 300BLK.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Yep, there is an initial cost on equipment and supplies. A cost accountant would be needed to factor in amortization, repair and maintenance, overhead, time, beagle food and all that stuff. When you take those items out of the equation and look at only components:

- Component costs on my FMJ rounds are about 42 cents (high end) using free range cases converted to 300 BLK.
    - My gas checked CB rounds using free cases and cheap lead aren't much more than shooting "high end" .22's these days. And a LOT more fun...

;)

Those numbers are the ones that most people see, but don't understand the cost savings, due to higher quality ammo that the standard cheap ammo off the shelf. Thanks for showing me how much it really costs for you to load for your 300.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Don't disagree with the logic. Could see myself reloading in a few years, and in more than a few calibers.

I always knew I was a bad influence and an enabler, but damn!

If you ever want to take an hour or so and crank out 300-500 rounds of 300BLK reloads, come on over and use the Dillon. She will be fully calibrated within the next 2 weeks for 300BLK.

Thanks guy. Drop me a line when you're ready to roll, and we'll try to sync schedules. I'll cover my materials (at the very least) if we press out some rounds for me. :thumbsup:

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Thanks for the itemized costs, that's terrific savings. I'm going to spitball it and say 'half' the cost of factory ammo (~$1).

I'll probably reload when I really retire, I don't shoot enough to warrant yet another hobby. Until then I freely give away my brass and love it when I know my 5.56 brass will be reincarnated as 300blk!

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Don't disagree with the logic. Could see myself reloading in a few years, and in more than a few calibers.

Thanks guy. Drop me a line when you're ready to roll, and we'll try to sync schedules. I'll cover my materials (at the very least) if we press out some rounds for me. :thumbsup:

I'll keep you posted! My dad will be back this weekend with the haul from Sierra. :D

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    It's not bad. Nothing like a 308 out of a bolt gun. To my shoulder, it seemed pretty close to a 357 magnum out of a bolt action rifle (Ruger 77/357 with 18.5-inch barrel) or a lever action (Winchester 1892 with 20-inch barrel).

I have a linear brake on the Ruger American Ranch 300 BLK, and while it does a great job at redirecting noise away from the shooter, it apparently does next to nothing for recoil reduction (in a different recent 300 BLK thread, Smokey posted some excellent TTAG reviews and videos comparing recoil mitigation by different 5.56 brakes, including the Troy Claymore that I use albeit in a different caliber). Thus, in theory, one could reduce recoil even more using a brake of a different design.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    The more I look at this thread, the more I want one of these rifles. I have a Ruger American in 30-06 and the quality can not be beat. I had a 300 blackout AR at one point but the price of ammo steered me away from it and it was sold.

What is the current average pricing? Is there still no cheap plinking ammo available?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If searching for new, non-remanufactured, 300 BLK supersonic ammo, the least expensive options available online are usually $0.60-0.70 per round.

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rifle/300blackout/

I've gotten the Fiocchi (should be easy to find in the linked list above) before for $0.60/round shipped. It runs fine in the bolt-action, but it was blowing primer caps in the AR. If you read reviews of this ammo at arf, Midway, etc, many others had the same issue with different batches of the Fiocchi. So it you get it for a bolt, proceed carefully if using it in a future AR platform.

I recently ordered plinking ammo from these guys ...

http://ftwammo.com/index.php?crn=222&rn=459&action=show_detail

I don't think that Gunbot captures their ammo, but I have had good luck with other 300 BLK loadings from the same outfit.

I do hate the cost of commercial 300 BLK, as well as the general lack of availability in local stores. It may be the round that pushes me into reloading.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    The more I look at this thread, the more I want one of these rifles. I have a Ruger American in 30-06 and the quality can not be beat. I had a 300 blackout AR at one point but the price of ammo steered me away from it and it was sold.

What is the current average pricing? Is there still no cheap plinking ammo available?

I have seen it go as low as 53-56 cpr, if you buy it in bulk (say 1k rounds).

Reloading it will take the cost down to about 30-40cpr, depending on the bullets/primers/powder you are using.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom