Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Oh. I thought this was about Mr Ifdot.

My bad. :innocent0

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia
    I mostly buy used, about half have the scratch on them when I get them.
    Takes the pressure off if it's already there.
    (But my friends all figure that I'm the "idiot".)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1911s don't need to be cleaned that often.

When I shot USPSA heavily, I would clean once a year, and shot around over 10,000 rounds per year.

And I never had any functioning issues, I just felt that once a year was reasonable.

For those who clean after every range trip, you are going more harm to your firearm than shooting it. The clean after every range trip was based on corrosive ammo. And the military, where, when you wear something out, it gets replaced FOR FREE.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was going out to shop-around for some new readers this morning. Maybe you should tag-along? 2:
    Bit of an inside joke only Ifdot will get.

BTW just ordered some 2.0s from Amazon prime. Time to move up in power.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_0058.jpg
      IMG_0058.jpg
      94.8 KB · Views: 228

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Bit of an inside joke only Ifdot will get.

BTW just ordered some 2.0s from Amazon prime. Time to move up in power.

I'm 1.5x now and also looking to increase to either 1.75 or 2x. I'd like to stay below 2x because I sometimes forget I'm wearing them and the higher the magnification, the more they mess with my depth perception. It's like, bam, "Oh, hello Mr. Wall!"

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Using a small flat head screw driver or similar to push in the detent will allow you to put the slide stop lever back in without having to swing it over the frame.

Regarding the sights - depends on what kind of shooting you intend to do I suppose. I've always considered the blacked out sights to be more slower precision/bullseye focused, where as fiber optic is faster for action shooting.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Op, it’s weird, the first pistol I purchased at a store was a colt combat elite, bi tone with the custom colt grips.

A week after I purchased it and had shot the hell out of it I read how to field strip it and BANG put an idiot scratch on her.

I still have her though but I wish I could get that scratch out of her.

Anyway, 1911’s are cool, scratches or not

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    I'm Mr. Idiot scratch. My first 1911 was a Colt Combat Elite and shooting it made me love the platform. The only problem is that I'm a knuckle-head and created an idiot scratch. While I loved the platform, I avoided field stripping the gun so I wouldn't make the scratch worse. I ended up selling the gun (because of the scratch), avoiding the 1911 platform for a little while.

Well, I have the fever again. This month I bought a Nighthawk Custom GRP with upgrades (including a nice Permacoat on the frame) and a Colt Special Combat Competition Model in hard chrome. I bought some idiot scratch plastic sheets that supposedly mitigate the risk of creating the mark. Hopefully they work. I am so anal retentive with my guns and cars. I cannot deal with a scratch like that. I pick up the Nighthawk tomorrow and the Colt in a couple of weeks.

The Colt has all black sights, Bomar rear and Heinie front. Does anyone prefer this set up to white dot sights? I've read that they are easy to pick up quickly, instead of fixating on the dots. I may add a fiber optic front sight if I have trouble with the sights.

One more question: If I use a bore snake after each usage and keep it lubed, how many rounds before I need to field strip a 1911? The less I take them down, the less chance of doing something stupid. I wish the 1911 was simple to field strip like my CZ's and striker-fired handguns.

I use to be the exact same way...anal retentive and OCD with my firearms and vehicles. I sold a Ruger MarkIII because I put a very miniscule scratch on it. And then one day it hit me...I was wasting money on buying safe queens and conversation pieces. Sure, they may have looked brand new, but they weren't collectibles or rare, and I was doing myself a disservice by worrying more about their looks than my ability and performance with them. I still take very good care of my stuff, but I don't lose sleep or sell something because of "character" or usage mark. All I was doing was keeping them pristine for the next guy who would buy them or get them when I die. Makes about as much sense as not banging your wife or gf to keep her nice for the next guy.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I drove my sports cars like I stole them and tracked them as well, but I maintained the appearance to the extent that a 3 year old M3, 2 year old M3, and a 2 year old ZL1 looked brand new inside and out.

I'm not as anal with my striker guns or my CZ's, just 1911's and revolvers.

Never parked them in a store parking lot? Wife works at Martins and you should see how many door dings she has on her vehicle! :sad20:
    It always seems that when ever I care too much about something, it always gets damaged so, I learned to get over it. Well, maybe not entirely.:innocent0

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Never parked them in a store parking lot? Wife works at Martins and you should see how many door dings she has on her vehicle! :sad20:
    It always seems that when ever I care too much about something, it always gets damaged so, I learned to get over it. Well, maybe not entirely.:innocent0

My last truck(before the one I have now), I had for ten years. Bought new in 2007. Never had a ding(because of where I parked) until I took it to one of those "we'll by your car" places. There was a brand new ding on the passenger side. I'd swear it happened in their parking lot. He ignored it. He was a young AR guy so he gave me all kinds of breaks(s/p?) and a fair price for my truck.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    A thread like this and no pics :(

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just picked the Nighthawk up today. The fit and finish are top notch. Gun is beautiful. It fits like a glove.

I bought it on Gunbroker and it was listed as “factory new”. I looked at the target supplied with the gun and it was test fired at Nighthawk in 2013! The vendor should have listed it as “new old stock”. I normally wouldn’t care, but the Trijicon night sights have lost some of their brightness. Should I call the vendor and try to get some cash back, or at least get them to replace the tritium when it runs out?

Attachments

• A8CE380C-73E4-419A-8B71-C3F438CDF5DC.jpg
      A8CE380C-73E4-419A-8B71-C3F438CDF5DC.jpg
      111.4 KB · Views: 184
    • BDDFADA4-B002-4A77-95CD-084FBA19B5F0.jpg
      BDDFADA4-B002-4A77-95CD-084FBA19B5F0.jpg
      117.7 KB · Views: 182
    • 30A7636A-383B-45F5-8152-6B673BB23461.jpg
      30A7636A-383B-45F5-8152-6B673BB23461.jpg
      49.5 KB · Views: 181

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    Was the test target in the pictures on GB? Always a good idea to look at the date on the sights if you can see them. But yes, it should have been listed as new old stock. Couldn't hurt to contact the vendor and see what he says. I wouldn't think he intended to mislead.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Was the test target in the pictures on GB? Always a good idea to look at the date on the sights if you can see them. But yes, it should have been listed as new old stock. Couldn't hurt to contact the vendor and see what he says. I wouldn't think he intended to mislead.

No, they didn’t show the test target on Gunbroker. It’s more the aggravation of sending the slide out to have new tritium put in. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom