• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Eastern Shore of Maryland
    I bought an M60 and it just arrived at my local dealer (near Salisbury, MD). Unfortunately, it's not as described and I'm torn on whether to keep it. The dealer will give me my money back or negotiate some sort of resolution for me to keep it. The issues:

1) there's a small amount of play between the barrel and trunion (probably 1/16th to 1/32nd of an inch) if I press on the barrel. I'm not sure if that slight movement is a big deal or pretty normal.

2) the trunion is a re-weld (it was definitely not supposed to be) and I have no way of evaluating whether they did a good job or not.

3) The receiver may or may not be straight. It seemed to be pretty hard to pull the charging handle back, but then again I've never owned a hog and maybe this is normal. Since the receiver is a re-weld, I'm wondering if everything is kosher.

With that as background, I'm wondering if there's a local M60 expert who could take a look at it. I'd be more than happy to pay a few bucks for someone to take a look at it, as long as they know what they're doing and can do so in the next week or so. The gun is at my dealer's place, a few miles from Salisbury.

Thanks!

craftsman_69

MDS Supporter
    Jul 26, 2015
    AA
    TM 9-1005-224-23&P states in the PMCS table that barrel movement while locked is a deadline. I am no expert, I only fired and qualified on one my first couple years in the Army before they went to the M240. What I do know is that if the barrel lock ring was cracked or loose from the receiver it got condemned and turned in for disposal.

We had M60s mounted on our PBRs in Vietnam. I was a Gunnersmate and maintained and repaired them as well as used them. The weapon you describe would have been robbed for parts, cut up and dumped over the side. If you desire to keep it, paint it up real purdy like and hang it on the wall. Above all.............don't shoot that junk! You probably spent a good amount on it. If you can get it replaced or get your money back I would highly suggest that.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I would reach out to M60Joe.com if you really want some expertise. He isn't local, based in Ohio but he knows his shizint when it comes to MG.

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Tons of good advice here, thank you. To be clear, the movement isn’t while locked (I didn’t test that) it was rather the ability to move the barrel a small amount under pressure while the barrel and collar are in the trunion. I’ll check with M60Joe, but from what everyone said, it looks like I’ll be getting my money back. I’m also checking with Desert Ordnance to see what it will cost to bring it up to spec.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    I was an M60 gunner in an Infantry Weapons Squad from 1977-1979 and I would tell you the same thing hairba111 has already told you. That one is toast unfortunately.

Let us know what Desert Ordnance says about bringing it up to spec? If it's worth the effort, I'll be glad to serve as AG and tote the spare barrel bag and tripod! :D

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    So you bought a reweld, if you paid under 40K that's the going price. New in the box is 80-90K an solid used is 60K.

If unhappy send it back!

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Man, I’m so appreciative of all the comments. One thing I’m confused by: I’m having trouble reconciling that that rewelded trunion guns are not useable with the fact that they go for between $26k and 40k. If the guns are not safe and can’t be used, why are people willing to spend $10s of thousands for them? Just based on the price, I would assume they are useable but they won’t have the same service life. But based on the comments here and elsewhere, it appears those guns are not suitable for shooting. So why are they still worth so much money?

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    Man, I’m so appreciative of all the comments. One thing I’m confused by: I’m having trouble reconciling that that rewelded trunion guns are not useable with the fact that they go for between $26k and 40k. If the guns are not safe and can’t be used, why are people willing to spend $10s of thousands for them? Just based on the price, I would assume they are useable but they won’t have the same service life. But based on the comments here and elsewhere, it appears those guns are not suitable for shooting. So why are they still worth so much money?

Because, they ain't making any new ones. Dewalts an rewelds "where" the cheap way to play. If I paid 20K for it, I would send it in to get rebuilt.

If the dealer will let you break her down, do it. Get some straightness gauges from a machine shop an check the rails. The barrel should be tight. The flash hider will move. Did it come with a spare barrel? Try that one!

The barrel wears out first. Open the feed tray cover, put weapon on fire, with your palm facing up pull charging handle to the rear till bolt locks, push charging handle forward, put weapon on safe, load, close feed tray, aim, put weapon on fire an watch your lane.

I have a TM if your close to Willards.
    Only other stuff I have left are:
    BFD
    two guide rod springs
    sear
    barrel glove
    couple of barrel wrenches

Did you buy the one on subguns?

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    No, it wasn’t on subguns. It was from a dealer who was brokering it for someone else. Thankfully, he will stand behind it. It did come with a spare barrel and a few other parts, but I don’t think the problem (if there is one) is with the barrel; it’s more likely a slightly egged trunnion. 303Enfield, PM coming your way.

And for those who haven’t used Brent for transfers, he is a really good guy.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    No, it wasn’t on subguns. It was from a dealer who was brokering it for someone else. Thankfully, he will stand behind it. ....

Pretty much anything made of metal can be fixed. The question really just comes down to cost and time. What did you pay and what is it worth fixed. Then you just need to find out how much it will cost to fix. I have shot a M60 several times but I don't know the level of detail to speak to your issues. How good of a deal did you get? Is it worth trying to recover this deal? If not, and you don't think its going to work out... send it back.

I always suggest Bob Naess from Black River. He has been doing MG repair since the before I was born and started collecting in the 1950s. Owns and shoots tons of MGs. About a year back log but I am guessing he will give you some good advise if you call and can do the work for you if you can wait. http://www.blackrivermilitaria.com/

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Thanks, IMBLITZVT!

Bob at Black River is a great guy. He’s backlogged two years now and I can see why. Super helpful and your stereotypical gun guy who wants to help out a stranger. Thanks for the recommendation. He talked me through a lot of things on the M60 and clearly wanted to help. I wish he was local so that I could buy him a beer.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Thanks, IMBLITZVT!

Bob at Black River is a great guy. He’s backlogged two years now and I can see why. Super helpful and your stereotypical gun guy who wants to help out a stranger. Thanks for the recommendation. He talked me through a lot of things on the M60 and clearly wanted to help. I wish he was local so that I could buy him a beer.

You are welcome!

Yeah he is. One of the best guys in the hobby.

Well, for local help... thats a bit harder. We have at least one M60 in MDTCA. We have a MG show on 3/24 at the AGC. You are welcome to come. The M60 will be there I am fairly sure. I don't know how much of a gunsmith the owner is but many there have worked on many different MGs before. If you can bring the gun we will be happy to take a look and maybe help. If not, you are welcome to come and maybe find out what you can.

Los

Jan 13, 2013
    Man, I wish that was closer to me. I’d love to bring up some of my toys including a Thompson I know little about. I’m definitely going to go there, but it probably won’t be until a few months from now. In the meantime, the dealer is having the gun sent to an M60 gunsmith and he’s going to check it out. I super-appreciate all the help you guys have given me. Gun people rock. And I very much look forward to meeting some of you guys at one of the shoots. I got to Delmarva Sporting Clays every so often and run into a lot of folks from the other side of the bridge. They let you shoot anything there from MP5s to belt feds. The only thing that gives them heartburn are 50 cals, which are now banned. The AGC looks like another good place and that shoot sounds like a great way to connect with folks. I look forward to it.

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I remember going to my first gun show in Easton MD back in 1985 and seeing an M60 like new in gov box/ foil for $2500.00.
    I had never seen a machine gun for sale and didn't know you could legally own mgs. If only I had the $$$ then to buy it. Today I kick myself for all the crazy deals I passed on. Hope you get everything straightened out and enjoy your new toy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom