• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    A new short classifier for IDPA

I suspect that this may well be official soon - merely my speculation at this time though. Regardless, it's a great tool for someone to measure their handgun skill and it's easy to set up and run. Only 10 yards distance, no props and 25 rounds needed in addition to a single IDPA target.

http://www.idpa.tech/the-5x5-classifier-abbreviated/

Last edited:

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    I think the only hold up is that IDPA has not yet configured their site to accept scores from this new pistol classifier. The 5x5 classifier is now on the IDPA "official" site.

http://www.idpa.com/blog/post/2018/01/18/Important-Classifier-Information.aspx

It is official and clubs can run it; we're just waiting on HQ to do the tech updates to accept the scores. Same for the PCC classifier.

As for shooting the 5x5, it's a lot of fun. If you're more of a stand-and-shoot accuracy type, you'll probably do better on it, but for most people it seems to accurately reflect their current classification. I would expect that given the data analysis they did.

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    There's going to be a lot of new masters... This classifier is super easy.

That's what everybody at my match said...

... and then they all classified exactly where they had on the old classifier, to include the guy who got a match bump to Expert but hasn't yet shot an Expert-level classifier. Everyone also said this about the move from the 90-round to the 72-round classifier.

With that said, I agree with you that it tests fewer skills and will likely be easy for any even marginally USPSA shooter, assuming they have enough adjustability to slow it down and make the hits. But in the overall IDPA population, I think you're going to see pretty much the same results as you did before, because there are a lot of IDPA shooters that can't hit shit at ten yards.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    well now, :smoke: 25 rounds like the MD Wear/Carry permit training, yet less? hmm. is this caliber specific? can i use a .22lr?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    well now, :smoke: 25 rounds like the MD Wear/Carry permit training, yet less? hmm. is this caliber specific? can i use a .22lr?

I don't think .22 meets the IDPA minimum power factor...

Interesting to hear that in a decent size sample people tended to classify the same.

jason.krywicki

Sep 8, 2007
    GB, MD
    That's what everybody at my match said...

... and then they all classified exactly where they had on the old classifier, to include the guy who got a match bump to Expert but hasn't yet shot an Expert-level classifier. Everyone also said this about the move from the 90-round to the 72-round classifier.

With that said, I agree with you that it tests fewer skills and will likely be easy for any even marginally USPSA shooter, assuming they have enough adjustability to slow it down and make the hits. But in the overall IDPA population, I think you're going to see pretty much the same results as you did before, because there are a lot of IDPA shooters that can't hit shit at ten yards.

Just as I suspected, I observed a match today while practicing and though I didn't see a SS go to MA, I did see a MM go to EX...

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I used to see a lot of guys do really well on stage one and two and fall apart on the 20 yard shots in the 3rd stage. Those guys will be going up no doubt.

Also, this is easier to practice and easier to re shoot if you screw up. But, I don't think "grand baggin" will be a thing in IDPA. I see more guys get a match bump and immediately switch divisions in IDPA. They go from MM to SS in every division, then start working on going from SS to EX in every division. Takes a long time, and you get lots of trophy's along the way.

LAW683

Nov 1, 2011
    Well I must just suck then because i shoot the 72 round classifier in the high SS range and this new 5x5 one I'm lucky to get mid MM range.

I've done it with several different guns and all the same results. So if more people get bumped up to EX or MA. So be it. Deff won't be me. Not with this classifier.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. If you had solid accuracy on the old one and did well on stage 3 you could make up a lot of ground. That original classifier IMO stage 3 was all that mattered. Most shooters struggled on that part. I've seen guys run MA times on stage 1 and 2 only to end up a SS after dropping mikes on stage 3. Those type of shooters should move up. And there are plenty of MA level shooters who have never shot a MA classifier.

Unless these times are super tight, (I've yet to shoot it so maybe they are). They don't look like it on paper, but I could be miss judging how long everything should take.

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    Just as I suspected, I observed a match today while practicing and though I didn't see a SS go to MA, I did see a MM go to EX...

Sure, you're going to have edge cases, and this will favor people who are more focused on accuracy and stand-and-shoot, but I don't think there's going to be too many of those people; most of those edge cases just quit because it's too demoralizing. I'm a SS who regularly gets beaten by MMs in matches, but GSSF sent me a 1099 for more than $3K last year. Why? I'm okay at standing still and shooting accurately at things in a mildly speedy fashion and bad at everything else.

There's another SS at my club who regularly beats me in matches who was something like 27 PD on the 5x5. It averages out, but you can't go down, so those people aren't visible.

Everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. If you had solid accuracy on the old one and did well on stage 3 you could make up a lot of ground. That original classifier IMO stage 3 was all that mattered. Most shooters struggled on that part. I've seen guys run MA times on stage 1 and 2 only to end up a SS after dropping mikes on stage 3. Those type of shooters should move up. And there are plenty of MA level shooters who have never shot a MA classifier.

Yeah, I was/am the opposite. My times on stage 3 are generally pretty sporty, but I get killed on the hosing on 1 and 2.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I think you may have approached 1 and 2 wrong, they shouldn't be "hosed" IMO. I always felt like if I dropped more than a couple points I had screwed up and that was under .5 scoring. At least you know what you need to work on.

Of course if you won $3k from Glock last year you may not need to work on anything. lol. I haven't tried GSSF yet, I keep hearing it's boring.

Adenosine

Sep 20, 2016
    I think you may have approached 1 and 2 wrong, they shouldn't be "hosed" IMO. I always felt like if I dropped more than a couple points I had screwed up and that was under .5 scoring. At least you know what you need to work on.

Oh, no, that tended to be my problem--I didn't/don't hose them even though the ranges are relatively short. I don't have good adjustability for closer targets, so it takes me about an hour to aim at an open body at seven yards. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

But working on it!

Of course if you won $3k from Glock last year you may not need to work on anything. lol. I haven't tried GSSF yet, I keep hearing it's boring.

They kicked me up to master, so the gravy train is over for me. :) In all seriousness, if you have/shoot Glocks, you should give it a try; you can clean up in the amateur divisions if you can tolerate stand-and-shoot at all, it's a lot of fun, and if you have friends who shoot but aren't quite ready for an action pistol sport, they can come too. There's also the armorer, so your $35 membership (plus however many divisions you shoot, of course) buys you all the replacement stock parts you might want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom