• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Didn't the Marine snipers for many years use 10x fixed scopes?

Less complicated, more rugged, cheaper. What's not to like?

Early Army sniper scopes (1903A4 and M1) were 2.5x

Some 4x.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did a Bang Steel LR course with a buddy. He rented a rifle from them. Savage with SS 10x. It worked for hits out to 1040 yards.

I have made hits to 763 yards with my Mosin sniper. 3.5x

bbradshaw21

Jun 14, 2016
    Pikesville
    absolutely love my SWFA 12x. for the price paid (~$300) it is just as nice as scopes twice the price. super clear glass, simple mil dot reticle, .1 mil adjustments and very tactile and audible

sits on top of a Savage 10T in .308

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I can get relatively decent hits on an exaggerated man size target and steel gong at 700 with good light and from prone with one of my M1's. I probably miss more often than not, well I know I do but its still fun trying. My buddy with his rung up hart rifles and nightforce get up laughs his ass off. I do believe if I had a little something on top to get through the haze would help with consistency though. Its hard to keep it going once target panic creeps in on me. I get alot more confidence hunting though with a fixed 4X unertal hawk but the wires are so small it gets hard to see at dusk. I very rarely turn a variable past three or four though even when gunning a bean field. To much magnification hurts for me I think from a crunchy side rail on some of our stands. Judging range and knowing MPBR is more important for me now. I do like the idea of newer style fixed or low power modern optics but dont have any yet for jump shooting sika but I might grab something because they seem like they work so many people use them now a days.

GoGoGadget

Deplorable Member
    Mar 10, 2011
    A.A.Co. and Carteret Co. NC
    +1

I've got this one my 50 bmg and it's good for the distances I'm shooting. I'm thinking about getting another for one more project.

That's impressive!

On the opposite end of that spectrum, I also have a SWFA SS 16x with the Mil-quad reticle that I keep on my CZ 455 Varmint Precision Trainer. It's nice to be able to shoot .22LR at 150-200 yards and not require a spotting scope. It's sighted at 100 yds, but I have the holdover memorized for 200 yd at this point.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My father shot everything that could be shot in North America with a 1903 Springfield he sporterized in 1947 while in the occupation in Germany and equipped it with a liberated Hensoldt-Wetzlar Dialytan 4x sniper scope with a single post German #1 reticle. It was always a one shot kill at 300 yards and under and he never took a shot longer than that. I still have the scope and I am hard pressed to know how he did it with that single post reticle the scope has. While I have made shots in 3-gun out to 400 yards with a 1-4x scope, what he did was harder in my book. All of my scoped rifles have decent variable power scopes only because I don't know how and at what distance they will be used. Sometimes I only use one of the scopes at a single power all the time. Just that sometimes I want a wider field of view than a fixed scope can give.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Those old single power scopes work really well once you get some time behind them. The post can be used as a range estimater (so can your front sight post btw), and there is a lot less that can go wrong.

My favorite bolt rifle is split between a repro USMC M40a1 with a fixed 10x Unertl and a repro USMC 1903a1 with a fixed 8x Unertl. Both rifles work great out to 800 yds and a bit beyond.

But times and technology change. As variable scopes became crisper, more repeatable, and more reliable the military changed. 10x is plenty for shots out to 1000 yds. Beyond that the extra magnification becomes very useful (or so I'm told lol, since I've never shot beyond a 1000 yd KD course).

I do think that "budget" variable power scopes will short change you somewhere in the construction. And it's typically the glass and the turrets.

Most people would probably be better off with fixed power scopes

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    yup, im adding a vortex spitfire fixed power 3x on to one of my AR's.

will probably be a lot of fun to use and do just about anything I ask of it.

( I wouldn't ever be shooting past 300 yards)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom