• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Your a fool for ruling out the AAC 762. I have one, with hundreds of rounds through it. Never an issue. I can shoot .308 with subsonic without hearing protection. It is quieter then a .22. Love mine! Where did you

I've heard a lot of people complaining that the qd latch broke and became useless. That's not something I want to happen, if even they do repair it.

They're on sale at silencershop.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    In the end, the only thing that matters is YOUR happiness with your choice. Buy what you want and don't look back.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Unless you hate the ASR and KeyMo mount systems, I don't see why you wouldn't put the Hybrid on your list for a rifle suppressor. While it's on the heavier side, it handles almost everything caliber-wise, and you can even stuff an Omega anchor brake on the front if you're into that. With a $200 tax stamp involved, this is definitely one of the times to think about stretching (and I don't usually say that).

Then again, if you're like me, one became two became five for me, so you'll probably have a chance to do this again. :)

I'm poking around looking to pick one up after the holidays, the Hybrid 46 looks pretty cool, nice to be able to use it with 9mm, 223, 300BO and 7.62 rifle platforms. Can use it with a handgun too, but it's pretty big, probably just enough fun to get me to pick up a smaller/lighter pistol can down the road.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'm poking around looking to pick one up after the holidays, the Hybrid 46 looks pretty cool, nice to be able to use it with 9mm, 223, 300BO and 7.62 rifle platforms. Can use it with a handgun too, but it's pretty big, probably just enough fun to get me to pick up a smaller/lighter pistol can down the road.
    I think suppressing pistols is a very different problem than suppressing long guns, given the issues with sight height, barrel movement, relative length, etc. IMHO, the Hybrid is pretty much an awesome long gun suppressor, but is not what I would choose for a pistol. I guess I'm not really sold on pistol suppressors in general.

The line-up I chose was:
    Rimfire rifles: SiCo Sparrow w/ Gemtech QDA 22 mount
    Rimfire pistol: TI Tac65 direct thread
    Shotgun: Salvo 12
    PCCs: SiCo Octane 9 w/ 3lug
    Rifles: SiCo Hybrid w/ ASR or KEYMO (haven't decided which yet, since it's still in NFA hell)

I think the only thing I'm really interested in at this point is a Maxim 9 - preferably whatever the second gen version turns out to be.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Back to the OP...never skimp on a suppressor. Between tax stamp, fingerprinting, transfer fees, and so on, you'll have $300-$325 spent before you put a dime into actually buying the suppressor. And that overhead is fixed...you'll pay the same whether you are buying the most advanced can on the market or a pipe with a couple of washers in it.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Back to the OP...never skimp on a suppressor. Between tax stamp, fingerprinting, transfer fees, and so on, you'll have $300-$325 spent before you put a dime into actually buying the suppressor. And that overhead is fixed...you'll pay the same whether you are buying the most advanced can on the market or a pipe with a couple of washers in it.

Looking at silencershop.com there are, obviously, tons of 5.56 silencers. Is it safe to say price is going to dictate quality. I'm guessing upper hundreds to the lower thousand range is what you need to get a quality one? Also are certain ones not a good match with certain AR's?

rayrevolver

Jul 26, 2012
    Looking at silencershop.com there are, obviously, tons of 5.56 silencers. Is it safe to say price is going to dictate quality. I'm guessing upper hundreds to the lower thousand range is what you need to get a quality one? Also are certain ones not a good match with certain AR's?

I would say price is not a major factor, in general-ish. haha. It really boils down to what you want. Weight? Length? Maximum suppression? Multiple hosts? Full Auto?

If you sort the 5.56 cans by price the cheapest on the list is the Radical. That is probably the only can on the list I would NOT consider. Too heavy and for $0-$45 more you get into the Griffin Spartan 3 for direct thread and the YHM Turbo. Both these options are good for $400-$445.

Man, this is pretty complicated. If you are crazy about weight, then find a Brevis Ultra and pay the price.

I have a few here and there and would love a direct thread 556 like the Spartan 3 for a lightweight build. I have a Trek and its great, but heavy.

OH - don't forget that cans like the Sig are much heavier than advertised. There is a thread on ARF where people weighed their cans. Just an FYI.

Prioritize what you think you want. Set a price. Research. Ask the interweb.
    And buy! The waiting sucks, but sucks worse when you watch from the sidelines for too long.

Last edited:

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I think suppressing pistols is a very different problem than suppressing long guns, given the issues with sight height, barrel movement, relative length, etc. IMHO, the Hybrid is pretty much an awesome long gun suppressor, but is not what I would choose for a pistol. I guess I'm not really sold on pistol suppressors in general.

The line-up I chose was:
    Rimfire rifles: SiCo Sparrow w/ Gemtech QDA 22 mount
    Rimfire pistol: TI Tac65 direct thread
    Shotgun: Salvo 12
    PCCs: SiCo Octane 9 w/ 3lug
    Rifles: SiCo Hybrid w/ ASR or KEYMO (haven't decided which yet, since it's still in NFA hell)

I think the only thing I'm really interested in at this point is a Maxim 9 - preferably whatever the second gen version turns out to be.

cool. My main want is to build an 8"ish 300BO SBR with a suppressor inside a 14" handguard. Would like to be able to use it on a 9mm PCC, and possibly a couple other rifles. I'm not sold on handgun supressors either, but the ability to slap one on a pistol with a piston,, and the included neilson device is cool, and if nothing else I can try it out on a pistol without going through all the crap for a 2nd suppressor. The fun budget is limited, and most of it goes to competition stuff, not range/SD stuff. While I see the value of caliber specific supressors, the Hybrid, or the Griffon Optimus seem like a good way to try it out on a few plattforms, and decide weither it's worth the trouble to get a more specific suppressor.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I think I've decided on the Rugged Razor.

It's a bit more expensive than the Sig, but I like their lifetime UNCONDITIONAL warranty. Even if I'm at fault they relate or replace for free.

My only concern is that Rugges is a new company that could fold, leaving the warranty meaningless. Sig will probably be around forever, but their warranty is not unconditional.

Thoughts?

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Haven’t read all 4 pages

The AAC SDN 7.62 is $399 on sale I think Capitol Armory
    I am personally going with the dead air sandman K or S before months end along with a SilenceroCo Omega 30 cal next year
    Have to really look into feedback about these “lifetime warranties” and the fact that some of these companies could very well not exist in 1-2yrs+
    Ton of great choices here in the past 1-2yrs, if I’m looking for a Suppressor I don’t think Sig would be anywhere on my radar..
    I’ve heard good things about the Rugged, they recently had a deal but since expired on the 1st

Attachments

• 30F89509-6A1C-42FF-AECC-1093D954A2B0.jpg
      30F89509-6A1C-42FF-AECC-1093D954A2B0.jpg
      66.7 KB · Views: 186

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Have to really look into feedback about these “lifetime warranties” and the fact that some of these companies could very well not exist in 1-2yrs+

Yeah, that's a concern of mine.

Still, the same could happen to anyone besides the big names, and even some of them, like AAC, might be going away eventually.

The AAC is definitely a no go by the way. I don't like the latch design failures.

It's down to the Razor, Recce 7, or Sig SRD.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I think you'd be happy with any of the three, but personally I like Rugged's warranty and muzzle device options the best. Given the price difference, I would have a hard time passing up on the SRD though. Then again I set out to buy two suppressors this year and instead bought six, so my advice is maybe not the best.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    im getting a DeadAir sandman-k for my 300blk. just put all my info into silencershop

For home defense, it'll work perfectly

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I'm ready to buy the Rugged at this point but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure just how quiet it will be from a short can.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I'm ready to buy the Rugged at this poi my but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure just how quiet it will be from a short can.
    The Rugged Surge isn't THAT much more than the Razor, and in its short configuration it is only about an inch longer and 2 ounces heavier. And you've got the longer configuration as well for extra suppression. But you're edging up toward a bunch of other great suppressors in a similar price category. Or even two good ones that do different things and are on a really good sale. Probably best to buy five or six just to play it safe. Get your analysis paralysis out of the way on the first one, then really down to business.

All kidding aside, here is a suppressor comparison document from the awesome folk at NFATalk that you might find helpful. Or information overload.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cewkqn0NlMNYeSJB6oFWld_ixuYhWIdGOt69hXFanqs/edit?usp=sharing

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The Rugged Surge isn't THAT much more than the Razor, and in its short configuration it is only about an inch longer and 2 ounces heavier. And you've got the longer configuration as well for extra suppression. But you're edging up toward a bunch of other great suppressors in a similar price category. Or even two good ones that do different things and are on a really good sale. Probably best to buy five or six just to play it safe. Get your analysis paralysis out of the way on the first one, then really down to business.

All kidding aside, here is a suppressor comparison document from the awesome folk at NFATalk that you might find helpful. Or information overload.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Cewkqn0NlMNYeSJB6oFWld_ixuYhWIdGOt69hXFanqs/edit?usp=sharing

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the Razor would be pretty loud like a Sandman-K that just takes the edge off, or if it's still pretty darn quiet.

I don't care much about 5.56 since it's hard to suppress anyway. But I want decent reduction with 300BLK supersonic and that "bolt is louder than the gunshot" sound with subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom