• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    Posting this for a friend, he inherited this blackpowder pistol from his grandfather, looks like nothing I've seen before due to the angle of the grip and the trigger. Definitely old and not a repro or kit build. Appears to be .30cal Can anyone identify this or confirm that it's homemade?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 5328339151.jpg
      5328339151.jpg
      65.6 KB · Views: 336
    • 5328343141.jpg
      5328343141.jpg
      43.5 KB · Views: 346
    • 5328341731.jpg
      5328341731.jpg
      49.1 KB · Views: 308

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    I don't have a thing except it looks great. Maybe a "one off"or custom target pistol?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    As the engraving indicates, it is a Howdah pistol for hunting Wabbits.
    The oversize rear sight allows quick target acquisition on a fast moving target.

The howdah pistol was a large-calibre handgun, often with two or four barrels, used in India and Africa from the beginning of the nineteenth century, and into the early twentieth century, during the period of British Colonial rule. It was typically intended for defence against tigers, lions, and other dangerous animals that might be encountered in remote areas....

The term "howdah pistol" comes from the howdah, a large platform mounted on the back of an elephant. Hunters, especially during the period of the British Raj in India, used howdahs as a platform for hunting wild animals and needed large-calibre side-arms for protection from animal attacks.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howdah_pistol

killer-rabbit-of-caerbannog.jpg

WABBIT HUNTING OUT EAST

577-Double-Barrel-Howdah-Pistol-4.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Yes, they cropped the beast out of the bottom of the photo, probably so as not to alarm the masses.

Wow, four posts in 5 1/2 years!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Im pretty more than sure that rabbit is a PA dutch thing. Id have to dig into some of my books to tell you more. Rifles from around that way were are adorned in the same manner. Looks like a one off back action percussion pistol for target. Almost looks like it could have had a saw-back stock and i doubt it was converted from flint because of the back action lock. Somewhere on there should be a makers name to get you headed in the right direction. Could be apprentice un- named too. Could be a shooter but the bolster looks pushed front a little. Make sure its still not loaded.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Before the trip sideways into mythical gaint rabbits ;

Back in that day , most such firearms were made one at time by individual gunsmiths . If it's not marked by the Maker , and a knowledgeable collector doesn't imeadately recognize distinctive features. , you don't have any easy answers.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It looks as if it might possibly have a hooked breech so you could take off the barrel and look for other markings.

ThePhantomPatriot

Politically Incorrect
    Im pretty more than sure that rabbit is a PA dutch thing. Id have to dig into some of my books to tell you more. Rifles from around that way were are adorned in the same manner. Looks like a one off back action percussion pistol for target. Almost looks like it could have had a saw-back stock and i doubt it was converted from flint because of the back action lock. Somewhere on there should be a makers name to get you headed in the right direction. Could be apprentice un- named too. Could be a shooter but the bolster looks pushed front a little. Make sure its still not loaded.

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom