• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Clearly I think most of us want the ability to carry concealed but when we can't what other option(s) do we have available to us? I am a Maryland Resident with non-resident Handgun Permits/Licenses from: Arizona, Florida, Utah, & Virginia. I have recently applied for a Maryland Handgun permit as a business owner. My research indicates that in my situation as of today I can carry in the following states as indicated below. Feedback and corrections are greatly appreciated. Has anyone else ever done this exercise just to see what the results are?

Concealed Carry
    Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming (Total 34 states)

Open Carry
    Colorado (except Denver), Maine, Nevada, New Hampshire, Oregon (bans apply to all public places in several cities) * see below for Michigan (Total 5 states)

Vehicle Carry
    Denver, CO and South Carolina (in glove box) (Total 1 state and 1 city)

A grand total of 40 states will allow me to carry in some way. With the Maryland HQL and/or Handgun Permit that number goes up to 41 or 42 states. (See Illinois and Michigan below)

No Carry
    California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

Notes: Michigan Open Carry is allowed with a Maryland HQL you must carry the HQL with you when open carrying – Google search: Michigan State Police Legal Update no. 86), A Maryland State Police issued Handgun permit will add Michigan to the Concealed Carry category and would also add Illinois to the Vehicle Carry category. A Maryland handgun permit would allow you to apply for permits in some other states (such as New Hampshire).

DISCLAIMER - IANAL - Laws and reciprocity agreements change frequently and you should do your own research rather than rely on my research. It is important to note that my focus is on carrying a firearm on your person so the vehicle carry options are only listed for areas where concealed and open carry are prohibited in my situation. Be advised that there are some states with lawful open carrying that prohibit vehicle carry without a permit (New Hampshire is one example, there are others as well you should do your own research). As far as Maryland goes I could sarcastically add that our Attorney General has stated in Court that we can openly carry a long gun. Does this mean that we have Long Gun Open Carry in Maryland? I am not convinced. I have chosen not to add Maryland to the open carry list because Gansler will not be the one making the decision to arrest or not arrest the individual open carrying. An individual may or may not be convicted based on what Gansler said but will almost certainly be charged with some violation(s) of the law in most jurisdictions in Maryland.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I thought S. Carolina did not accept out of state permits?

In South Carolina you can only "Vehicle Carry" without a permit, concealed carry requires a permit. I did not list South Carolina as a conceal carry state in my situation. South Carolina does honor some out of state permits for concealed carry but only if you are a resident of the state they honor. Maryland is NOT on that list. Unless you own property in South Carolina a Maryland resident is limited to "Vehicle Carry" when in South Carolina.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    IIRC it's pretty easy for a non-resident to get a permit for Puerto Rico.

I was not aware that it was easy in Puerto Rico. That is good to know.

The US Virgin Islands will allow you to register a Virginia permit for a short period of time to carry there.

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    I can carry more on my own property than I can in Maryland as a whole, and I may or may not carry in any of several other states. You may or may not know if I am carrying.

That is the way it is supposed to be! No one should know when you are carrying if at all possible.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    At least for CCW, you can go to USAcarry or handgunlaw, plug in your permits and find out where you can carry. Then opencarry.org will fill in the open carry states. I pretty much have the same as the OP except as a WV permit holder I can CCW in Colorado, SC, and Michigan, and I have a non-resident CT permit.

Xshot

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 14, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    I have no legit reason to use to apply for a CCW here in MD but I really wish I did. I envy those who can carry.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Thanks. I think it is still good to look at the state's website before traveling since reciprocity between states seems to be changing daily.

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    The Md HQL will allow you to conceal carry in another state? First I've heard of that.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Notes: Michigan Open Carry is allowed with a Maryland HQL you must carry the HQL with you when open carrying – Google search: Michigan State Police Legal Update no. 86), A Maryland State Police issued Handgun permit will add Michigan to the Concealed Carry category and would also add Illinois to the Vehicle Carry category. A Maryland handgun permit would allow you to apply for permits in some other states (such as New Hampshire).

The bolded are two different cards. HQL does not apply to CC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom