• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GONZOtheMAN

Feb 5, 2010
    Ellicott City
    Hows it going every! a friend of mine is thinking about selling his Mossberg 500 shotgun. for the price hes letting it go for it would fit in great with my collection.

so heres my question. Will we have to go to a FFL for me to legally purchase the shotgun from him? We are both Maryland residents. i read everywhere its unlawful to privately sell a "regulated firearm" but i don't see anything about non regulated firearm sales.

Thanks a lot!
    Nathan

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    just sell it like you would any normal item. Some folks like to keep a bill of sale.

If he is your friend, and not a crack head, just do the deal. No FFL needed.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    This can be sold face to face. As long as the purchasing party can legally own a firearm in the state of MD, there is no problem.

I would suggest, however, covering your butt. Even though you know this individual, create a bill of sale with ALL PERTINENT INFO.....

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Both parties must be residents of MD and over 18 years old. Other than that, as others have stated for non-regulated firearms, getting and keeping the ID info and getting a signature is not necessary but a good idea.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    So if you dont know the person, how would you guys go about it??? I dont want to sell a firearm to someone who can't own one. I am also talking about a shotgun.

Thanks, and sorry to using your thread OP.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    So if you dont know the person, how would you guys go about it??? I dont want to sell a firearm to someone who can't own one. I am also talking about a shotgun.

Thanks, and sorry to using your thread OP.

There lies the big question. I really don't think there is a clear answer to that.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    Mossberg 500... that's regulated... you can build a Mossberg Assault Shotgun from it...

Just kidding... but that's the attitude that some folks get.

As far as them being legal to own you have a few choices.

1. Signed and notarized statement from them.
    2. Transfer at MDSP.
    3. Transfer through FFL
    4. Transfer with a verbal statement from them.
    5. Transfer with a written but non-notarized statement from them.

As long as you do not have reason to believe that they are a prohibited person, you are in the clear.

Mark

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    As far as I know, as long as you have no reason to believe the buyer is prohibited, you are legal.

I don't like to sell to complete unknowns. The forum here is a good way to "get to know" your buyer.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    As far as I know, as long as you have no reason to believe the buyer is prohibited, you are legal.

I don't like to sell to complete unknowns. The forum here is a good way to "get to know" your buyer.

I have only sold to people I know on here. Additionally, even though I know them, I work up a bill of sale with MDL# and info for both parties and corresponding signatures. I keep a copy and give them a copy.

GONZOtheMAN

Feb 5, 2010
    Ellicott City
    Thanks guys.

I was thinking of also running the guys name on the MD Judiciary Case Search database and under crimes make sure they came back clear as another way to see if they are a stand up citizen.

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiry-index.jsp

There's the link in case anyone does not know what i am talking about.

that seems pretty air tight. couldn't you also go to any gun store and have them run the background check. i think i read that the check is only $10 or so depending on the gun store.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    that seems pretty air tight. couldn't you also go to any gun store and have them run the background check. i think i read that the check is only $10 or so depending on the gun store.
    At that point, you may as well just go all the way and just have the gun store do the entire transfer.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

NICS checks are just for gun transfers through FFLs. If an FFL uses a NICS check for any other purpose they are breaking the law (or regulation?). As erwos said, may as well just let the FFL do the entire transfer in that case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom