• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Assume (for discussion) that many readers here have never been near a race gun or understand the nuances of why things evolve the way they do. I suspect that a lot of people would opt for something not like a pimped-out competition gun, but more for a duty-style gun that's still a better fit for competition than what they might otherwise own or carry.

first thing is, hit a match with whatever you currently have. if you just go out and buy new stuff, it most likely won't be the right stuff. and, you might not even like doing matches, though most that start become mildly if not rabidly addicted. in general though, yeah, shooting a small, lightweight carry gun prob will get old real quick when you're putting 100-200 rounds thru it in short order. but lots compete, successfully, with glock 19 and 17-sized guns.

after using your gun and gear in a few matches, you'll have a good feel for what you like and don't like about it. and, you'll have the opportunity to see the guns and gear everyone else is using, and most if not all will let you play with their stuff. so a great opportunity to do some no-cost, extensive window shopping.

if you're starting from absolute scratch, i'd say to get a glock 17 and an idpa starters kit from bladetech. it's a perfect HD gun and kit if you decide you don't want to pursue competitive shooting, and for well under a grand including all the accessories you will be set.

https://www.speedshooter.com/produc...k&n=Blade-Tech-IDPA-Competition-Shooters-Pack

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    first thing is, hit a match with whatever you currently have. if you just go out and buy new stuff, it most likely won't be the right stuff. and, you might not even like doing matches, though most that start become mildly if not rabidly addicted. in general though, yeah, shooting a small, lightweight carry gun prob will get old real quick when you're putting 100-200 rounds thru it in short order. but lots compete, successfully, with glock 19 and 17-sized guns.

after using your gun and gear in a few matches, you'll have a good feel for what you like and don't like about it. and, you'll have the opportunity to see the guns and gear everyone else is using, and most if not all will let you play with their stuff. so a great opportunity to do some no-cost, extensive window shopping.

if you're starting from absolute scratch, i'd say to get a glock 17 and an idpa starters kit from bladetech. it's a perfect HD gun and kit if you decide you don't want to pursue competitive shooting, and for well under a grand including all the accessories you will be set.

https://www.speedshooter.com/produc...k&n=Blade-Tech-IDPA-Competition-Shooters-Pack
    Mostly agree, but would suggest a used G34 with fiber optic sights instead. A little more expensive, but more competitive than a G17. Definitely agree that Blade-Tech is the way to go on holsters and mag pouches when starting out.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    is this configuration actually reliable or do you get a lot of light primer strikes?

100% reliable with federal and CCI primers. I had a few light strikes with whatever freedom munitions uses in their garbage reloads.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Mostly agree, but would suggest a used G34 with fiber optic sights instead. A little more expensive, but more competitive than a G17. Definitely agree that Blade-Tech is the way to go on holsters and mag pouches when starting out.

I have a G35 upper that I converted to a G34 with a SS Lone Wolf barrel. Added fiber optic sights with a Wilson u notch rear. Stainless guide rod with a 15lb spring. It's built on a 1st gen P80 with the flared magwell. I got rid of all the blocky grip texturing and added talon type stick on grips. Runs really well and the extra weight tames the recoil. If I was to do open class I'd probably run that. I did the training at the AAFG with my Hi Power but never competed. They don't make a good holster like the Safari land type for the Hi Power. The snap button retention on my holster sucks.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

Occam, this is great advice.

And so is this.

I use a stock Glock 19 for IDPA with a red fiber optic front and blacked out rear sight.

It's a bit of a hump from MoCo but the Steel Challenge shoots at Delta Peach Bottom are open to the public, cheap ($15), and super friendly to first timers.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The trigger on the BHP is not conducive to match shooting. Kinda long and no decent intermediate reset. Bit of a shame, I have a custom BHP with a shockingly good trigger, but I don't think it's gonna run well in a match.

As for my G34 Gen4, I'm not sure I'm going to be using it forever in Production or Carry Optics - the Beretta 92X and the Walther Q5 SF are both calling to me - but I've gotten a ton of mileage out of it, and it just wasn't that expensive. The cheap 140mm mags from Magpul make it a pretty nice budget choice for Carry Optics, too.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Steel Challenge shoots are open to the public, cheap, and super friendly to first timers.

super agree. Steel Challenge is an excellent first match for anyone. No real movement or stage planning, no reloading on the clock. Draw and shoot five steel targets, top off, holster, and repeat four more times. Then move onto another similar stage and repeat. Real good opportunity to see immediate improvement in time to first shot and accuracy and target transitions.

Also you can use a rimfire handgun or rifle and start at low ready.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Steel Challenge is a good first match. Was originally started to be training for USPSA and in fact everything you need to learn to shoot USPSA (except running, mag changes, and stage strategy) can be learned shooting Steel Challenge. As for firearms use what you already have first unless its totally wrong like maybe a backup gun. Just make sure you have enough mags and a decent holster. Sometimes after matches at Peacemaker you can get someone to let you shoot their gun to try it out. Also there is a new division, Carry Optics which you can shoot without having to shoot against the pros in Open division. Just an ordinary carry gun with a mini red dot mounted on top. You can get a number of firearms including Glocks, S&Ws, and Springfields with a removable plate on top that allows you to mount a red dot easily without a gunsmith having to work on it. I have a Glock 34 that I can configure within 5 minutes to shoot Open, Limited, or Carry Optics with an extra slide and barrel I can mix and match. Cheaper than having 3 specific guns. Also one of the most fun gun divisions in Steel Challenge is Pistol Caliber Carbine. Rules are the same as rimfire rifle, fire from low ready and any size mag (Open and Iron sight divisions).

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    As for what gun I am going to give you a secret. Reason most top shooters use STI/SVI 2011 guns is because there is no trigger in existence that can compare with the straight back 1911 type trigger in those guns when properly tuned.. It can be fired faster than any hinged trigger no matter what. Now that does not mean everyone needs a $4.5K Open gun or a $2.5K Limited gun. There are lots of good guns out there that people feel are better for them, personally, and they maybe right. In fact I have both an STI and a Bul M-5 double stack 1911 type guns. But I don't shoot either one much anymore as I like shooting my 9mm G34, that I setup myself, with a lot of Zev race parts. When I can I like to build my own competition guns. So whatever firearm you choose make sure you like it. If not sell it and buy something else. But its best to get a chance to shoot a gun before you by it. And don't always go by the gun someone else is shooting. While it may feel really good to you just make sure it didn't require $2k worth of mods and gunsmithing to get that way. A Glock 17/19 with a little trigger massaging is less than $500. The one thing I can say about the Glock is when you pull the trigger and has a round in the chamber it always goes BANG. Reliability is the first thing you want in a speed gun. Everything else is in second place.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    To all those that inquired about the Glock 34 I mentioned, the seller is in York, PA. I’ve done business with him before including currently buying a Glock 43 to modify.

This is the info he sent me about the 34, obviously mags would need to be transferred up there;

Glock 34 Gen 3 with 6 mags with Taran tactical Baseplates (these don't add any capacity), Taran Tactical fiber optic site, new never used sandpaper talon grips, regular G34 trigger and Vogel competition trigger (is USPSA production legal). This pistol has about 2000 rds. through it and some of finish is rubbed on the front of the slide from holster wear. I'd also throw in the Boss dropped and offset/Blade-tech holster if interested. Asking $375 shipped.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I do appreciate all the advice!

My first dance was just recently, shooting a Steel Challenge match out at Peacemaker. Used my Beretta 92 to good effect, other than the fact it has a 500-pound DA trigger pull :-)

That pistol is plenty accurate for this sort of thing (nice long barrel/sight-picture), carries 15, and I've used it for 25 years so it's second nature. I've got multiple Glocks, but nothing suited to this, which has me thinking of either holding out for Beretta's new 92X (essentially, their take on a competition pistol), or consider something else entirely. In the meantime, the ol' 92 is MORE than adequate to learn the rituals of some of these games, since I'm not actually competing with anyone on speed for its own sake. Just looking to have some fun.

Another shooter let me dump a mag through his slightly tuned-up CZ 75, and I can definitely see the appeal of something built for that purpose.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    To all those that inquired about the Glock 34 I mentioned, the seller is in York, PA. I’ve done business with him before including currently buying a Glock 43 to modify.

This is the info he sent me about the 34, obviously mags would need to be transferred up there;

Glock 34 Gen 3 with 6 mags with Taran tactical Baseplates (these don't add any capacity), Taran Tactical fiber optic site, new never used sandpaper talon grips, regular G34 trigger and Vogel competition trigger (is USPSA production legal). This pistol has about 2000 rds. through it and some of finish is rubbed on the front of the slide from holster wear. I'd also throw in the Boss dropped and offset/Blade-tech holster if interested. Asking $375 shipped.
    Wow, I'll take it for that price. PM sent.

jmike3543

Sep 10, 2018
    Like the title asks, what’s a good competition 9mm pistol for shooting steel for around 2k or so, I just don’t want to go crazy

Right now CZ Shadow 2s are all the rage. They can be found for around 1k if you know where to look. Add an RMR or other red dot + milling from Cajun Gunworks and you're up to $1650. A few mags and a holster will have you at $1900-$2000 and you're ready to go!

Here's to your new gun and your cancer going away.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I do appreciate all the advice!

My first dance was just recently, shooting a Steel Challenge match out at Peacemaker. Used my Beretta 92 to good effect, other than the fact it has a 500-pound DA trigger pull :-)

That pistol is plenty accurate for this sort of thing (nice long barrel/sight-picture), carries 15, and I've used it for 25 years so it's second nature. I've got multiple Glocks, but nothing suited to this, which has me thinking of either holding out for Beretta's new 92X (essentially, their take on a competition pistol), or consider something else entirely. In the meantime, the ol' 92 is MORE than adequate to learn the rituals of some of these games, since I'm not actually competing with anyone on speed for its own sake. Just looking to have some fun.

Another shooter let me dump a mag through his slightly tuned-up CZ 75, and I can definitely see the appeal of something built for that purpose.

Don't sell those Glocks short. In the IDPA mag they will list a multitude of facts and figures from the major matches including the various types of firearm used by the competitors and Glocks are always the lion's share.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    Right now CZ Shadow 2s are all the rage. They can be found for around 1k if you know where to look. Add an RMR or other red dot + milling from Cajun Gunworks and you're up to $1650. A few mags and a holster will have you at $1900-$2000 and you're ready to go!

Here's to your new gun and your cancer going away.

If you find any for 1k, PM me where!!! I have a hard time finding the, let alone less than 1.5k

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Don't sell those Glocks short. In the IDPA mag they will list a multitude of facts and figures from the major matches including the various types of firearm used by the competitors and Glocks are always the lion's share.

Sorry! Wasn't commenting on Glocks (in competition) generally. What I meant was that the Glocky part of my collection is more carry oriented than competition oriented. My 23 might work, but I don't fancy shooting fohtay for this, really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom