Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Marketplace > Wanted to Buy
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old March 18th, 2019, 03:24 PM #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Doug14 View Post
How much difference is there between a 9422 and a Browning BL-22? Darn near look identical.
Both good rifles, though they handle as different as night and day. The Browning has the short lever throw. Many either love it or hate it. The Winchester has the traditional feel.
Uncle Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:14 PM #22
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Adding to what Uncle Duke said, they're sightly different sizes (see the difference in receivers in the pic below and note the 9422 is 1 lb or more in weight). The 9422 is pretty much the same size as a Model 94 that chambers a centerfire round. It points as quickly and balances as intuitively as the Model 94. I'm probably odd in this preference, but I like my 9422 rifles in 22Mag, given the rifle has slightly more heft, why not use a round with slightly more oomph that still is relatively small to pack decent amounts of ammo (in both the rifle mag or carry). I really love the BL-22 as a 22LR shooter - wicked fast with that short lever throw - and pretty light overall so also quite quick to point.

The 9422s are classics, though. The last ones, if I remember correctly, were made in the US and not transferred by Olin to their Miroku factory in Japan. There were also no shortcuts employed in their manufacturing that created some issues in the post-64 Winchester production of centerfire Model 94 rifles. The 9422 continued to use billet receivers and maintained a reputation for the old Winchester quality. The current Browning BL-22 is new (high quality) production out of the Miroku plant.

Picture below of a Browning BL-22 (grade 2), Winchester 9422M, and Browning T-bolt sporter from left to right. The material qualities are slightly better in the 9422 than the BL-22, but can't really go wrong with either.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:24 PM #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
Adding to what Uncle Duke said, they're sightly different sizes (see the difference in receivers in the pic below and note the 9422 is 1 lb or more in weight). The 9422 is pretty much the same size as a Model 94 that chambers a centerfire round. It points as quickly and balances as intuitively as the Model 94. I'm probably odd in this preference, but I like my 9422 rifles in 22Mag, given the rifle has slightly more heft, why not use a round with slightly more oomph that still is relatively small to pack decent amounts of ammo (in both the rifle mag or carry). I really love the BL-22 as a 22LR shooter - wicked fast with that short lever throw - and pretty light overall so also quite quick to point.

The 9422s are classics, though. The last ones, if I remember correctly, were made in the US and not transferred by Olin to their Miroku factory in Japan. There was also no shortcuts employed in their manufacturing that created some issues in the post-64 Winchester production of centerfire Model 94 rifles. The 9422 continued to use billet receivers and maintained a reputation for the old Winchester quality. The current Browning BL-22 is new (high quality) production out of the Miroku plant.

Picture below of a Browning BL-22 (grade 2), Winchester 9422M, and Browning T-bolt sporter from left to right. The material qualities are slightly better in the 9422 than the BL-22, but can't really go wrong with either.

I am in love with your T bolt. That’s a beautiful little rimfire. Of course I like the others too but that blonde stock is killer. Every time you post a photo of it I get closer to having to have one.
BossmanPJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:35 PM #24
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossmanPJ View Post
I am in love with your T bolt. Thatís a beautiful little rimfire. Of course I like the others too but that blonde stock is killer. Every time you post a photo of it I get closer to having to have one.
Thank you. That one (with the maple stock) is in 22Mag. Maybe should have gone with 22LR for the T-bolt, but thinking of eventually hunting down a BL-22 in maple, so will partially scratch that itch.

Old March 18th, 2019, 05:40 PM #25

I picked up an almost new Win Tuff last year for what I now realize was a steal. One of my favorite rimfires.

Hopefully you grab the one above.
F-Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:46 PM #26
Thread killer

Thread killer

Classic firearms had some maple stocked t- bolts come in last week.
Racer Doug14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2019, 05:59 PM #27

The short throw on the BL-22 puts some people off but you get used to it.
28Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Marketplace > Wanted to Buy