• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    Southern Maryland got shafted when a forum to provide feedback on outdoor recreational facilities (State Parks and Lands) was held in Riverdale (inside the beltway). The link below shows the meetings scheduled for other areas of our state.

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2013/02/06/marylanders-asked-to-provide-recreation-information/

Since they have a comment feature, I have asked for another meeting to collect input from Southern Marylanders. So far it has fallen on deaf ears.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    That's a shame, but as someone who hasn't lived in MD in many years (I crossed over the river), I have to say that Chuck County and St. Mary's County, have both done a great job with parks and trails.

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    I asked for 1) another meeting in SoMD (the realy SoMD). 2) An update on Newtown Neck State Park which has been closed because of the discovery of unexploded ordance, and 3) Another shooting range in the area.

My comment has not been approved by the moderator.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert
    Southern Maryland got shafted when a forum to provide feedback on outdoor recreational facilities (State Parks and Lands) was held in Riverdale (inside the beltway). The link below shows the meetings scheduled for other areas of our state.

http://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2013/02/06/marylanders-asked-to-provide-recreation-information/

Since they have a comment feature, I have asked for another meeting to collect input from Southern Marylanders. So far it has fallen on deaf ears.

Southern MD has not been forgiven by Baltimore and Annapolis for the Civil War.
    We will always be snubbed:sad20:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Southern MD has not been forgiven by Baltimore and Annapolis for the Civil War.
    We will always be snubbed:sad20:

Ironic, because about the first face-to-face between northern troops and Southern patriots took place in Baltimore, and Lincoln violated the constitution by sending troops to Annapolis to prevent the legislature from voting on secession (which they very likely would have done).

As my grandfather used to say, "When the bastard kept Maryland from seceding from the union, Charles and St. Mary's counties effectively seceded from Maryland."

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Come on guys, FOCUS! :whack:

Don't you at least want the opportunity to voice your opinion about the need for another shooting range in the area?

When the meeting was first announced I hollered at them for holding the "Southern MD" meeting in an area basically outside of Southern MD!
    Asked if the eastern meeting would be in Bowie and western region meeting in College Park! Makes about as much sense! Anywhere more centrally located would have drawn more folks, but that far away at rush hour???
    Also asked for an email addy and phone number for the many who couldn't make the long trip.

LOL, once online comments were allowed, I made a few suggestions, including range issues and non-hunting user fees. Never even got a "thank you" although the horse people did.

Keep hitting 'em guys, they work for US!

Crow Bait

Feb 9, 2013
    Hollywood, MD
    Since I stirred everyone up on this issue, I figured I owed a follow-up. After several of my comments on the DNR webpage were not posted (they said waiting for moderator approval), I gave DNR a call. There was no POC listed on meeting announcement, so I called their Director of Communications. I left a nice message, explaining that I had concerns about the meeting being held too far from most SoMD residents, and that I would like a call back.

On Tuesday I got a call from John Wilson of the Land Acquisition section of the Department of Natural Resources. John is the Associate Director of Stewardship & Trails Manager, and he is in charge of the ongoing project to update the Maryland Land Preservation and Recreation Plan. He explained that this is a top level plan, and while the process of collecting citizen input it is important - it doesn't guarantee that any one project will move forward or not. The plan sets broad priorities, and isn't necessarily a wish list for recreational facilities. We had a very nice conversation, and I explained my concerns about not hosting a meeting in a location that was central to citizens in SoMD. He said that there weren't many people in attendance, and most of the attendees were interested in Off Road Vehicle access improvements. He agreed that future attempts to solicit SoMDers input would be best held in a more central location. I asked for another meeting, and he assured me that wouldn't be necessary because there will be a random telephone survey, and an online survey available during the yearlong effort to update the plan. Once the online survey is available, I will try to get it on here.

I also asked him for more specific information about Newtown Neck State Park. Since it was closed as a result of the discovery of Unexploded Ordnance more than a year ago – there has been no new information. The last I heard was that it was being enrolled in an Army Corps of Engineers Remediation program, but that quite a while ago. He didn’t have any specific info, but referred me to a contact at the Maryland Park Service. I plan to request an informational meeting on this topic. I think after over a year of closure, the public deserves some information. Bits like: How long will it take the ACoE to act, How long the park will be closed, if it can be open to more conditional uses (farming seems ok), what we can do to help, etc.

Anyway - I hope this is good information. I know a lot of people that work at DNR, and they always take the time to listen to Citizens. They may not always be able to accommodate our requests, but they normally try pretty hard. As I said, I will try to post the online survey when it is available.

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    LOL, I slammed them the day they announced the meeting, about its "out of the region,regional meeting" location, before there was even a mechanism to respond. Also mentioned there was no POC. Was told they'd get back to me. No one ever did.

Once you could post comments, I left a relatively long reply. You'll notice they thanked MOST folks for their input. But not me! Guess I'm STILL making firends and influencing people everywhere I go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom