• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So I knew that the CMP was getting a bunch of Garands returned from the Philippines. Just heard they trucked in 86,000 in the last few days as well as 13,000 Turkish Garands!

I know it takes them a few months to turn them around (and I had heard rumors that M1 carbines would be coming back from the Philippines as well, but no mention that CMP has received them yet).

I read through the requirements on CMPs website. I plan to join Garand club in Rockville as IWLA Damascus that I am joining doesn’t qualify and I have a hunters safety feet. I though you had to get your paperwork stamped by a notary? Or is that no longer a requirement.

Also Field vs service grade. Right now it lists FG as $630 and shipping now (with attendant paperwork processing delay of a week or four). SG is listed as $730 and 2-4 months.

I don’t really rememebr what I saw the last time I checked several months ago, but I thought FG was all they had and those were going for $730-760. Are those prices and availabilities already taking in to account the ~100,000 Garands CMP just got in? As in they cut prices a little and they know it’ll take awhile to sort out the SG rifles they just got and they have other FG still from before?

Curious if it is worth while waiting to order one finally. Also, which grade? I care more about a shooter then a collector. It sounds like an FG and SG are going to be pretty close in cosmetics, but an SG is going to have slightly less barrel and throat wear, but that even an FG, in theory, should have plenty of life left in it.

Is it worth $100 and having to wait 2-4 months for an SG?

Should I wait a couple of months no matter what and see what happens as CMP trickles our news on the new batch of rifles they’ve gotten and see if it impacts pricing or grade of rifles available?

Thanks!
    PS in part my 35th birthday is coming up and I received an M1 carbine a few months ago and as much as I love the beat up old girl (outside is ROUGH! Internals are damned spotless and shoots pretty decent 1943 Inland) I am a Garand guy at heart. I’ve shot them a couple of times and hunted with one once (didn’t luck across any deer though).

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    You may find some other threads but unless something changes and Field grades have something more "collectable" than Service grades, most people find Service grade +$100 to be worth it. You often get something with a much better barrel condition if you are thinking you wan to shoot it time to time.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I've always believed that the little extra paid up front helps with greater appreciation in value and collectability down the road.

You'll also get a much more attractive rifle to own and be proud of.

.02 of course.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Noticed that membership in VFW, AL meets requirements in lieu of gun club and I can submit my retired military ID card. And being 64 I also meet the over 60 requirement. Woopie... 3 for 3! Guess I’ll fill out the forms and sent my check.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Noticed that membership in VFW, AL meets requirements in lieu of gun club and I can submit my retired military ID card. And being 64 I also meet the over 60 requirement. Woopie... 3 for 3! Guess I’ll fill out the forms and sent my check.

You hit the requirements lottery!
    Let's hope you hit the pick of the litter too!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I should have noted that the "ORDER FORM - FILLABLE" has 2 pages of instructions at the end.

Page 2A must be Notarized on your first order and is good for 3 years. If you belong to a Credit Union, they will usually Notarize your signature for free.

Thanks! I missed that. Yeah, the bank I have accounts at will for free. I’ll probably get my friend who is a notary do it. Take care of that and my C&R/FFL07 at the same time.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Any thoughts on waiting to hear any news out of CMP on the newly received Garands?

At a minimum I am 2-4 weeks from getting everything done to send in my paperwork.

I’d do credit card. Do they charge you only when the rifle ships?

molonlabe

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2005
    Mountaineer Country, WV
    Any thoughts on waiting to hear any news out of CMP on the newly received Garands?

At a minimum I am 2-4 weeks from getting everything done to send in my paperwork.

I’d do credit card. Do they charge you only when the rifle ships?

I would say yes but the last one I received was under one month from order to delivery. My paperwork was already on file but I sent it again anyway.

APGIllini

Jun 15, 2012
    I took the Advanced Maintenance Class in October, and the CMP folks were doubtful they'd ever see carbines in any significant numbers. I hope they are mistaken, but definitely get your papers together for a Garand.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    lazarus
    Go poke around the CMP Forum particularly the M1Garand section there are several threads on different grades and one on "First Garand: Service or Field grade?".

http://forums.thecmp.org/index.php

Yeah, that unfortunately didn’t help much. The wisdom seems to buy by SG for a first. But most people have good luck with FG and FG is more likely to have character. Odds are higher FG May need some “fixing” to get it in the best shooting shape, but SG sometimes needs some work as well.

I don’t mind tinkering and though I don’t mind if something has to be replaced or fixed on it...I do like that my carbine is all parts matching as near as I can tell. Seems like an FG is more likely to get that then a SG.

More to think on. I wish I could road trip it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am also more comfortable telling my wife I am buying a “six hundred dollar Double U double U two US service rifle for my 35th birthday”. $730 and I feel more like I am asking permission.

I also need to buy a handgun in the next couple of months for a trip to Alaska and she has finally thawed on that. Dropping $1500 or so on both is something we can afford, but that does sting a lot. “The Garand thing” I feel like is going to get shot down if I am asking permission and the cheaper the more likely she is to say yes.

I really would prefer not to wait another 6-12 months on a Garand.

But she is also saying yes on a handgun finally and I’d like to get my foot in that door.

Times like these I just want to say nasty words over and over.

PS and to a degree if it was just a Garand and it wasn’t for the fact it is getting shipped to our door, I’d just not mention it to her. She is vaguely okay with that (we’ve talked about it), but having a big package with a rifle in it show up is going to bring questions and I am comfortable with lies of omission when she has sort of okayed that, not actual lies. A $300 rifle I’d just sneak in to the safe.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I am also more comfortable telling my wife I am buying a “six hundred dollar Double U double U two US service rifle for my 35th birthday”. $730 and I feel more like I am asking permission.

I also need to buy a handgun in the next couple of months for a trip to Alaska and she has finally thawed on that. Dropping $1500 or so on both is something we can afford, but that does sting a lot. “The Garand thing” I feel like is going to get shot down if I am asking permission and the cheaper the more likely she is to say yes.

I really would prefer not to wait another 6-12 months on a Garand.

But she is also saying yes on a handgun finally and I’d like to get my foot in that door.

Times like these I just want to say nasty words over and over.

PS and to a degree if it was just a Garand and it wasn’t for the fact it is getting shipped to our door, I’d just not mention it to her. She is vaguely okay with that (we’ve talked about it), but having a big package with a rifle in it show up is going to bring questions and I am comfortable with lies of omission when she has sort of okayed that, not actual lies. A $300 rifle I’d just sneak in to the safe.

Tell her that Trump's tax bill will fund one of those so your actually only paying for one. Also noticed that in the CMP descriptions of grades they say that the lower grades DO NOT have import stamps on them. The higher grade description does not mention that.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Tell her that Trump's tax bill will fund one of those so your actually only paying for one. Also noticed that in the CMP descriptions of grades they say that the lower grades DO NOT have import stamps on them. The higher grade description does not mention that.

Yeah I am paying a few hundred a year more with the new tax laws. So that isn’t going to work. I am in the comfortably
    Uncomfortable zone of not making enough to be the target of the cuts to save thousands and not poor enough to be overlooked enough on the exemptions and deductions that were eliminated.

That makes a difference with the import stamps. One more thing to think about.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    After they get the rifles in from the Philippines and start processing them you may find there are more choices as to grade and manufacturer. A road trip is always best because you can pick and choose and compare grades side by side.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anybody ever visit the CMP "store" and buy an M1 there? Cash and carry as long as you meet the purchase requirements?

I mean, hell, I could possibly talk a neighbor in to that. Not sure I could talk my wife in to an overnight road trip to go buy a rifle.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Start with a service grade. That gives you a decent shooter. People who get good field grades post about it on the CMP forums; the folks who get ones on the lower end of the FG specs don't. It's a self-selecting sample and not representative of the actual quality distribution of FGs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom