• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    I'm considering training for pistol caliber carbines in IDPA/IPSC as well as defensive rifle using an M16A1/A2 replica (carry handle with integrated front sight). A few articles found through Google indicate several organizations use the platform for formal operator training, so I thought it would be helpful for managing stance, readiness, reflexes, shooting around hides, etc. I have 3 acres of home property to set up competition targets.

Any thoughts on a model to choose to get started? I am thinking electric, simulated recoil, semi auto mode, upgradable battery, and ideally a carry handle with the hole in the top for mounting a low profile red dot.

A few reviews like this Lancer model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1LDMQI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3EMEP9FAJWWPN&colid=2489WLYEZYH5G

Any thoughts on this?

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I'm considering training for pistol caliber carbines in IDPA/IPSC as well as defensive rifle using an M16A1/A2 replica (carry handle with integrated front sight). A few articles found through Google indicate several organizations use the platform for formal operator training, so I thought it would be helpful for managing stance, readiness, reflexes, shooting around hides, etc. I have 3 acres of home property to set up competition targets.

Any thoughts on a model to choose to get started? I am thinking electric, simulated recoil, semi auto mode, upgradable battery, and ideally a carry handle with the hole in the top for mounting a low profile red dot.

A few reviews like this Lancer model: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1LDMQI/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3EMEP9FAJWWPN&colid=2489WLYEZYH5G

Any thoughts on this?

Looks good on paper. I think this is a great idea. If you can find an all metal one that runs as good, I'd go with that because training is your goal.

I like electric, easier and cheaper. Join an air soft group/club an option?

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    As with most things in this hobby... FYI, the FDE version is only $199.

Well, every little bit helps and I'm not fussy about color: just put that in my cart, thanks! I need to look up a decent charger and probably a spare battery, and BBs and I can start working the movements. Thanks for your input, it's much appreciated...

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    You're not going to get the recoil impulse from any electric rifle that comes remotely close to a real AR. The only thing that in my experience that does is the Gas Blow Back rifles. KWA made them, WE makes one (or did), as well as a handful of other mfg's. My GBB rifle weighs about the same as my real one, and the recoil is about half of a real rifle. However I would not recommend buying one as it's more a novelty than anything else. The only reason I have mine is because I purchased it very cheaply off a friend who was looking for some quick cash for other hobbies.

That being said airsoft's good for practicing movement/ cqc tactics/ force on force training. If you're looking to increase accuracy and weapons manipulation for 3 gun i'd recommend sticking to the real thing. There's just too many differences between the two that I don't see it being very valuable in that regard.

boss281

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    Carroll County
    You're not going to get the recoil impulse from any electric rifle that comes remotely close to a real AR. The only thing that in my experience that does is the Gas Blow Back rifles. KWA made them, WE makes one (or did), as well as a handful of other mfg's. My GBB rifle weighs about the same as my real one, and the recoil is about half of a real rifle. However I would not recommend buying one as it's more a novelty than anything else. The only reason I have mine is because I purchased it very cheaply off a friend who was looking for some quick cash for other hobbies.

That being said airsoft's good for practicing movement/ cqc tactics/ force on force training. If you're looking to increase accuracy and weapons manipulation for 3 gun i'd recommend sticking to the real thing. There's just too many differences between the two that I don't see it being very valuable in that regard.

It may just be worth buying one of the less expensive plastic ones for around $100, run some drills with targets set up, and see if I get anything out of it. If I do, I can sell it or give it to my grandson, and buy a metal one with more heft and feel. I'm not worried about recoil, more about movement and getting my eye on target quickly and into muscle memory, and include the trigger pull with SOME feedback on accuracy at short distances. We'll see if it pays off, I'm still watching videos with LEOs and service training. it seems valuable to them...

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You said you wanted semi...and it makes sense to train as close to your real gear as you can...but you really should get full auto for fun between training sessions:innocent0

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    It may just be worth buying one of the less expensive plastic ones for around $100, run some drills with targets set up, and see if I get anything out of it. If I do, I can sell it or give it to my grandson, and buy a metal one with more heft and feel. I'm not worried about recoil, more about movement and getting my eye on target quickly and into muscle memory, and include the trigger pull with SOME feedback on accuracy at short distances. We'll see if it pays off, I'm still watching videos with LEOs and service training. it seems valuable to them...

If you're near East Baltimore I can show you what I have and you can make a decision that way. I have replicas of AK's and M4's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom