• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I've been going to OC all my life. My dad had a night club there in the 70s. I spent my summers there. As an adult, even though I owned a house at Deep Creek, I took my FAMILY to OC. Stating OC is not family friendly is BS. I also own a condo in OC and go just about every weekend. Every resort town has isolated incidents. If you want to avoid the crowds in OC, go in the spring or fall but keep in mind, a lot of the attractions will be closed. PM me if you have specific questions.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Man this thread blew up, haha. I think we have decided to goto Tampa FL, because a flight from WV to Tampa is.. 60.00 per person. And we can stay in a hotel for something like 30 a night thanks to the wifes hotel discount.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE Clear Water Beach (not to be confused with Clear Water).

It is about 30 mins from Tampa so if you are able to get a hotel in Clear Water Beach do it. Walking distance to great restaurants, clean public transportation, beaches are great, and most everyone we've ran into is friendly.

We've been 3 times in two years.

sports89man7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 21, 2018
    one word. horrible. I haven't been to OC in 5 years. the cops down there are a$$holes and will arrest/ticket you for anything. the water is NASTY. I don't know who on earth swims in that filth. I would just avoid it all together. if I want to go to the beach, ill fly down to the Caribbean or the keys. flights are getting cheaper to go down there.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    one word. horrible. I haven't been to OC in 5 years. the cops down there are a$$holes and will arrest/ticket you for anything. the water is NASTY. I don't know who on earth swims in that filth. I would just avoid it all together. if I want to go to the beach, ill fly down to the Caribbean or the keys. flights are getting cheaper to go down there.

Yes, those mean ole cops. :rolleyes:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Man this thread blew up, haha. I think we have decided to goto Tampa FL, because a flight from WV to Tampa is.. 60.00 per person. And we can stay in a hotel for something like 30 a night thanks to the wifes hotel discount.

Wife and I have been to Tampa/clearwater area a few times.

One of my favorite vacations was a 3 night deal I caught on Expedia.com last minute deals. Nice hotel, car rental and flight for $600-ish for both of us. I got tickets to the O's game in Tampa as well for another $100 (3rd base back a few rows) including parking. There are a few very nice public beaches in the area.

For less than $1000 we had a great long weekend.

Also, I caught a similar deal to Grand Bahama island a few years before that. I'm sure it's probably a bit more expensive now though. It was one of those last-minute deals from Travelocity. No car necessary and the hotel was across the street from a village with nice restaurants and a liquor store. We got to eat and drink at regular prices, instead of inflated restore fees.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I'm surprised by all the negative waves.

I grew up near the Jersey shore and had no desire to visit OC until we did a few years ago. Yeah, it's like every Jersey boardwalk.

Still, it's nice and it's convenient. We used HHonors points to stay at the Hilton in early May. Beautiful, and the most deserted we've ever seen. This is the time to go.

We've visited during the summer. We're eating dinner between 6 and 7, and we're not hitting the bars. We have no issue if this is your thing. It's not ours.

We will stay at the Hilton above any place else. When we had to, we stayed at the Princess Royale. CLean enough, but made for kids and kids groups.

Best food: Shark on the Harbor. Hands down.

Go. It's a beach. It has a boardwalk, but that's a 15 minute visit.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I live within 30 minutes of "The Crystal Coast" of NC. I like where I am....we can go to the beach early in the morning and get home just as the condo commandos are hitting the sand.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    OC up north is just fine.Get above 100 or so and it's good to go. I enjoy so many GREAT places to hang and eat there. We hit the boardwalk 1 time on the first morning and that's the only time we will see it all week.

CelticBiggie

Mar 26, 2016
    Ive been going for both cruisin events each year for like 8-9 years. Its OC. If you want more family quiet, go to DE. We stay in south bethany a lot of the times we go. Close enough for OC things but out far enough to avoid if you want.

AirBNB and homeaway are some of the best for rent by owner sites.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its ok, there are spots where crime is rampant nut its mainly the first few blocks. Most hotels are rundown and are not upgrading, because they don't need to. At least those below 31st st. Its not that different than any other beach town. Kids like the arcades and its one of the best places to find a decent pinball machine.

Wouldn't let my teen (if I had a teen) roam there at night alone or with a pack but otherwise its what it is.

Ive always preferred off season.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    OC is what you make it. I love the place.
    Me too

If you know where to go for fun and good food it helps. I spend much of my time in west OC around the commercial harbor at the Marlin Club, Harborside, and Sunset Grill and Marina.

Slimjim, Dont let the haters deter you from going because they are scared by the crowds on the boardwalk or too cheap to enjoy themselves. People that are constantly trying to hide from the crowds and looking for the cheapest deals around should just stay home by the pool.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Naw...go to Daytona Beach. Lived in Clearwater for 4 years and preferred the ocean breeze to the gulf humidity.

It's the truth. I'm in Tampa a couple of times per year for business and the Gulf doesn't compare to the Atlantic Ocean.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

What have you been arrested or ticketed for there? Qualify your statement.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

A-hole is a human flaw, not a cop flaw.

Now me and Mick are gonna wing on over and London and jam with the Stones...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    This. OC is an weekly invasion of people who did the same thing their Maryland fathers and grandfathers did year after year after year.

And the area hotels "show it"... The other venues are old and tired.

Drop some coin on a Marriott property in VB. You will not regret it.

-Right on the Beach

-Some have outdoor pools (great for cooling down)

-Area has great restaurants in town and just outside.

-And...... JETS!

YES, JETS! Best part lol. I made a trip over to Oceana NAS while the family was napping/showering before dinner one day. Took about 150 pics watching flight ops from the end of runway 23R

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have been a few times with a church group but it was off-season (February) and the place was very peaceful. Can't speak for the Summer. I have also been to Rehoboth in the September time-frame and I liked it a lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom