• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    He sent me this pic. I remember seeing this out at 100 yds.

That's not a 'steel target', that's a piece of garbage someone put on the range and shot up. And left laying there iirc.
    If you understand the difference, you'll understand why that's been labeled and displayed.

The rules for allowed steel targets at DPFNG are clearly posted on the ranges, and on the online rules. They are also explained to new members during the orientation.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    When steel pits, it can send fragments back at the firing line.

I remember one of the MDS shoots several years back, someone found the copper jacket from a .50 cal in the bed of his truck, BEHIND the firing line. The round punched through steel at 300 yards, and it peeled the copper, flinging it back past 300 yards. Friggin' crazy.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I remember one of the MDS shoots several years back, someone found the copper jacket from a .50 cal in the bed of his truck, BEHIND the firing line. The round punched through steel at 300 yards, and it peeled the copper, flinging it back past 300 yards. Friggin' crazy.

Haha yup. I think it might've been spot77's truck if I recall correctly. It may have had something to do with what people were shooting at the steel on the pistol range too though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    ****"I've shot plenty of steel. No way that was a 1000 yard shot. You hear that gong almost instantly, speed of sound at 1000 yards would take a couple of seconds to get back to you. .50 BMG, say 750 grains, would take about 1.3 secs to just get out to 1000 yards.

Regardless, the guy got hit by a ricochet, and is lucky to be alive, with both eyes, and ears. It's a shame his brain doesn't work well. Improperly hung steel, steel core ammo, and way too close for that round on steel is my best guess.

Speed of sound is just about 1000 feet per second. 1000 yards = 3000 feet, so 3 seconds.

Add a 1.3 second time of flight, and you get 4.3 seconds between bang and clang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom