• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thep1zzaman

May 3, 2018
    I am composing my binary trigger approval letter to the ATF, and was considering using this langauge in a seperate paragraph after the initial approval request.

"Are there any current Federal regulations or restrictions that would prohibit my ownership of a binary trigger? If the ATF will not issue approvals for possession of a binary trigger, is the ATF willing to issue a reply stating that I am not denied from possessing a binary trigger based on Federal regulations or restrictions?"

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My guess is that BATF will not issue any other wording other than what is in the advisory. The lawyers are running the show now.

And welcome. Please go introduce yourself in the Introductions forum. Glad you're here

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    View attachment 232311

It just says that you have to have applied to the ATF. it says absolutely nothing about being approved. To me, that means that if you document your attempt to apply to them, you are in compliance...because you'd be in compliance with the feds, applied before oct 1, and possessed it before oct 1. So who cares about getting approval, just apply and you're gtg.

I'm clearly not a lawyer, so maybe someone else can explain why my take on this is incorrect.

There is another section that specifically says you must receive Authorization from the ATF by Oct 1, 2019.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    View attachment 232311

It just says that you have to have applied to the ATF. it says absolutely nothing about being approved. To me, that means that if you document your attempt to apply to them, you are in compliance...because you'd be in compliance with the feds, applied before oct 1, and possessed it before oct 1. So who cares about getting approval, just apply and you're gtg.

I'm clearly not a lawyer, so maybe someone else can explain why my take on this is incorrect.

Yeah,I missed the additional section too. After 4-306, they drafted another 4-305.1 that ends up going into effect on 10/1/2019, and that sections changes the wording such that approval from the ATF is required by 10/1/2019.

So, one must possess the item before 10/1/2018 and apply to the ATF by 10/1/2018, and must receive approval from the ATF by 10/1/2019.

It really does piss me off because the statute could have been drafted a little better than that since there isn't any current approval process with ATF. We shall see if anybody is actually going to willingly litigate this, or if it will end up being somebody doing so unwillingly after charged with violating this law.

deesly1

Nov 16, 2011
    This is what happens when you have a state that is purposely trying to trick its citizens into committing crimes. This state creates a problem because unlike Bump stocks, binary triggers and trigger cranks etc. are not being federally mandated for destruction. So the state is trying to legally lump the later with the former.(by legal definition) But how is this "ex-post-facto" law legal to all individuals who possess something that is very much legal before 10/1/2018. Then Maryland put in an impossible hurdle to fulfill an unfulfillable law. This goes back to sloppy rulemaking. It seems like the lawmakers in this state just attempt to throw 300 lbs of Sh@t at a wall and see what sticks. In the process, they do not care who the defecations lands on!(You and me)

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This is what happens when you have a state that is purposely trying to trick its citizens into committing crimes. This state creates a problem because unlike Bump stocks, binary triggers and trigger cranks etc. are not being federally mandated for destruction. So the state is trying to legally lump the later with the former.(by legal definition) But how is this "ex-post-facto" law legal to all individuals who possess something that is very much legal before 10/1/2018. Then Maryland put in an impossible hurdle to fulfill an unfulfillable law. This goes back to sloppy rulemaking. It seems like the lawmakers in this state just attempt to throw 300 lbs of Sh@t at a wall and see what sticks. In the process, they do not care who the defecations lands on!(You and me)

I can hear the prosecutors now.....Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I am composing my binary trigger approval letter to the ATF, and was considering using this langauge in a seperate paragraph after the initial approval request.

"Are there any current Federal regulations or restrictions that would prohibit my ownership of a binary trigger? If the ATF will not issue approvals for possession of a binary trigger, is the ATF willing to issue a reply stating that I am not denied from possessing a binary trigger based on Federal regulations or restrictions?"

I already tried that. They answered with their form statement and then ignored all further correspondence.

thep1zzaman

May 3, 2018
    I already tried that. They answered with their form statement and then ignored all further correspondence.

Random thought - I wonder if anyone would get a response if they ask for authorization to possess based on a non Maryland address. From how I understand the law, you need to possess the binary trigger prior to Oct 1st 2018 and have applied for premission before then. The law doesn't state you have to be a Maryland resident when you ask the ATF for premission.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    Is a bumpstock only a bumpstock when it is installed on a firearm?

It is just a paperweight (piece of plastic) when it is not (kind of a comparison to those brass knuckle belt buckles)?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    There is another section that specifically says you must receive Authorization from the ATF by Oct 1, 2019.

Yeah,I missed the additional section too. After 4-306, they drafted another 4-305.1 that ends up going into effect on 10/1/2019, and that sections changes the wording such that approval from the ATF is required by 10/1/2019.

So, one must possess the item before 10/1/2018 and apply to the ATF by 10/1/2018, and must receive approval from the ATF by 10/1/2019.

It really does piss me off because the statute could have been drafted a little better than that since there isn't any current approval process with ATF. We shall see if anybody is actually going to willingly litigate this, or if it will end up being somebody doing so unwillingly after charged with violating this law.
    Bah! I missed the bottom section. Those tricky bitches...

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I wonder if a stock or trigger is "married" to a Title II Receiver (SBR, or AOW) then would ATF have to accept?

That's a good question. I would guess that they still wouldn't want any part of it, because we would still be asking them to rule on a piece of machinery that they have no specific legal jurisdiction over (at least for now). I would guess that they'd treat it like they would a suppressor that was pinned and welded on to an SBR or a machinegun. Those are still two stamp weapons, because there are two separate parts of them that are NFA regulated. ATF will make rulings about the suppressor and or the SBR / machinegun because they have legal jurisdiction over those items. They don't over bumpstocks, so I doubt they'd care. MSP / Maryland will still care, though.

Is a bumpstock only a bumpstock when it is installed on a firearm?

The way that the statute is written I think would make them illegal, period. There's no language about being installed or not, and the definitions of what makes a "rapid fire trigger activator" or whatever they're calling them in the statute don't require them to be installed. They are defined like this: (forgive crappy formatting, I am copy / pasting)

(E) “BINARY TRIGGER SYSTEM” MEANS A DEVICE THAT, WHEN INSTALLED
    12 IN OR ATTACHED TO A FIREARM, FIRES BOTH WHEN THE TRIGGER IS PULLED AND
    13 ON RELEASE OF THE TRIGGER.

14 (F) “BUMP STOCK” MEANS A DEVICE THAT, WHEN INSTALLED IN OR
    15 ATTACHED TO A FIREARM, INCREASES THE RATE OF FIRE OF THE FIREARM BY USING
    16 ENERGY FROM THE RECOIL OF THE FIREARM TO GENERATE A RECIPROCATING
    17 ACTION THAT FACILITATES REPEATED ACTIVATION OF THE TRIGGER.

18 (G) “BURST TRIGGER SYSTEM” MEANS A DEVICE THAT, WHEN INSTALLED IN
    19 OR ATTACHED TO A FIREARM, ALLOWS THE FIREARM TO DISCHARGE TWO OR MORE
    20 SHOTS WITH A SINGLE PULL OF THE TRIGGER BY ALTERING THE TRIGGER RESET.

So they define them as "a device that, when installed in a firearm, does xyz." Thus it's still a "burst trigger system" or "bump stock" or "binary trigger system" even when it's not installed in a firearm.

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    My wife gave me a membership this year for our anniversary. Specifically, because of laws like these and MSI's fight against it.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    A week has past and still no word from the ATF.

Maybe they were serious when they said they won't address any Maryland e-mails.

Time to try a different e-mail angle.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    A week has past and still no word from the ATF.

Maybe they were serious when they said they won't address any Maryland e-mails.

Time to try a different e-mail angle.

I wouldn't expect much out of ATF right now. IIRC, the White House still hasn't nominated anyone for ATF Director, and people "acting in the capacity of" (the term used for an Acting Director these days) tend not to take risks, make significant changes to policy, or allow much of anything that could cause controversy to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom