• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So what the heck do I have to do to get the managedhunting permit for Potapsco valley? I saw in a couple of older threads you have to do an archery qualification thing. However I can find no mention of this in the 2015-2016 Potapsco valley hunting guide or anything else on DNR's website. Just that you need a Maryland manager hunting permit ($35) and a free Potapsco valley hunting permit.

Nothing on getting a managed hunting permit for requirements. Seems like I just add it to my license when I purchase my annual license.

Do I need to call the park headquarters and ask how I get it done?

Thanks.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    So what the heck do I have to do to get the managedhunting permit for Potapsco valley? I saw in a couple of older threads you have to do an archery qualification thing. However I can find no mention of this in the 2015-2016 Potapsco valley hunting guide or anything else on DNR's website. Just that you need a Maryland manager hunting permit ($35) and a free Potapsco valley hunting permit.
    I don't believe you need an archery qualification to hunt in Patapsco Valley state park. You need to get the managed hunting permit for $35 and get a parking permit at https://webapps02.dnr.state.md.us/DNRHarmApp/Request.aspx?ParserValue=Gwynnbrook (after Aug 14th).

Last year instructions are at http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Documents/CentralRegion_MSP_HuntingRegs.pdf
    Seems new instructions will be published in August.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay, so still confused. I do need the managed huntin permit, but I don't need the shooter qualification and I don't need to actually put in an application (because it isn't a managed hunt per say)? Then just need to contact the park for the free permit?

The state could make this one a little easier to figure out.

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    This is from a friend who hunts Patapsco. Hunting license, bow stamp ( of course ) 35$ public hunting permit. Take your license with proof of public land permit to Mt Airy, Patapsco head quarters and get free parking pass.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Okay, so still confused. I do need the managed huntin permit, but I don't need the shooter qualification and I don't need to actually put in an application (because it isn't a managed hunt per say)? Then just need to contact the park for the free permit?

The state could make this one a little easier to figure out.
    Yes, just like that. Before last year you had to send the copies of the documents via paper mail and pick up the parking permit in person in their headquarter. Now it can be obtained online. Since last year the "central region" parking permit covers Patapsco SP.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looks like the online system won't take central MD hunting permit applications and the Gweynnbrokk office is closed through 8/14. I guess the online system opens then?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    To hunt most of Patapsco, you need to show up at Park Headquarters, Rt 40. in Ellicott city. Typically they are not open until August 31. There is no limit to the permits, and no reservations needed, so there is not really any urgency in issuing them.

For Soldiers Delight and other areas managed out of Gwynnbrook, the online reservation system does not open until later in August.

I hunted Patapsco for many years, but not last year. I believe that they discontinued the need for the shooter card for archery, but not for the shotgun lottery hunts

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, it looks like no more archery card and the central Maryland hunting permit says it is good for Potapsco now. Need that and a managed hunting permit (well, and hunting license and archery stamp).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom