• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Tell me everything you know about a Yugo m48a Mauser.

I have what is said to be a unfired m48a Mauser with leather sling, leather ammo Pouch, bayonet with frog rifle s/n.is said to be17900.
    All numbers except the bayonet are supposed to be matching. The bayonet and sheath numbers matching each other.

I am planning on reloading for it. I already have the 8x57 rcbs dies. I need to find some 30-06 brass (to. Form into 8x57) or 8x57 brass and bullets. I would really like cast bullets. I do not intend on shooting this rifle a lot so I am really not looking for large amounts of stuff or buy a new 8mm mold. I don't see small lots come up for sale much.

Any surplus ammo I should look for or to stay away from?

Where to get a few stripper clips? Basically enough to fill up the ammo pouch with ammo on the clips.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Look for seventies Portuguese surplus non corrosive on stripper clips.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    If you plan on not shooting it much why invest on reloading?
    Purchase Yugo 8MM or other foreign manufactured ammo.
    I have numerous 8MM chargers and some boxer primed 8MM.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Tell me everything you know about a Yugo m48a Mauser.

I have what is said to be a unfired m48a Mauser with leather sling, leather ammo Pouch, bayonet with frog rifle s/n.is said to be17900.
    All numbers except the bayonet are supposed to be matching. The bayonet and sheath numbers matching each other.

I am planning on reloading for it. I already have the 8x57 rcbs dies. I need to find some 30-06 brass (to. Form into 8x57) or 8x57 brass and bullets.

I would really like cast bullets.

Any surplus ammo I should look for or to stay away from?

Where to get a few stripper clips? Basically enough to fill up the ammo pouch with ammo on the clips.

I can't tell you a lot about the rifle, but I have two Yugo 24/47's plus several Turks and a K98 - all in 8x57. I reload for all of them.

My first question is why would you want/need to reform 30-06 cases into 8x57? You can easily get Prvi and other brands of 8x57 brass at reasonable prices.
    https://www.grafs.com/dealer/product/516029

CB's are fun shooting, but you can get FMJ's at reasonable prices and enjoy higher power loads as well:
    https://www.grafs.com/dealer/product/461351

If you want CB's get a Lee .323 mold and make some. You'll need a sizing die and some gas checks, but they shoot great in all my 8mm Mausers with light CB loads:
    https://www.grafs.com/dealer/product/205326

Surplus ammo? Much of it is corrosive and old. But I've never had an issue with any except some hang fires and FTF's. Just clean the rifle correctly after shooting surplus.

For stripper clips, here's a source. Plan on Sarco taking a couple of weeks to ship orders. They're slow:
    http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/m98msrstripperclips5round.aspx

Good luck on your Yugo. They are fun shooters! :thumbsup:

BTW:

:needpics:

;)

Last edited:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also if it is military acceptance stamped, it was fired. It might not have past proofing, but it was fired.

Can’t add much to what others have said. I have good success with PPU 8mm Mauser. Classic Firearms I think has import Romanian new manufacture steel case non-corrosive that is about $8 a box. Get a bunch. Dirty and not super accurate, but not horrible either. Dirt cheap. Don’t load for it if you plan to only shoot a bit. Just my 2 cents. My sporterized 1898 gewehr I’ve out about 40rnds through it in the 4 months I’ve owned it. Kicks like wow. It weighs a hair over 7lbs and still has its steel butt plate. Fun.

Hecktor Peabody

Boris Badinov
    Aug 22, 2018
    Southeastern PA
    Very fun rifles. I traded mine for M59 sks several years ago. Not a fan of the 8mm round. Every time I took it to the range, my shoulder would ache for several days afterwards.

With 70 year old surplus, "unfired" is a difficult claim to make and nearly impossible to prove.

What does the import stamp say?

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I got the rcbs dies for $15 and look brand new.
    Another reason I am able to reload for every one of my firearms with exception of my rimfires.

The reason I am looking at 30-06 brass over 8x57 is it is a lot easier to find 30-06 brass range brass then it is 8x57. Since I am looking at such a small amount it isn't worth ordering.
    I am thinking about just buying some cast bullets or if I can find a cheap box of 8mm bullets in a classified someplace

I spent all my gun / hunting money and then some, so I am looking for the cheapest way to get things ready to shoot it.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    I got the rcbs dies for $15 and look brand new.
    Another reason I am able to reload for every one of my firearms with exception of my rimfires.

The reason I am looking at 30-06 brass over 8x57 is it is a lot easier to find 30-06 brass range brass then it is 8x57. Since I am looking at such a small amount it isn't worth ordering.
    I am thinking about just buying some cast bullets or if I can find a cheap box of 8mm bullets in a classified someplace

I spent all my gun / hunting money and then some, so I am looking for the cheapest way to get things ready to shoot it.

If that's the case, why don't you just order a couple of boxes of 8mm Mauser PPU ammo? Then you can shoot the rifle, have some short-term fun and save the brass to reload at another time?

If you're intent is to reform 30-06 cases into 8x57, good luck. That isn't as simple as it sounds...

:innocent0

https://www.grafs.com/dealer/product/571400

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    rickyp,
    I probably have brass and bullets for ya. I use to have my dads k98. I ended up giving it to my brother since I needed the room. I'm out of town till Tuesday so I will check and see what I have and I'll pm you.

May 13, 2005
    That's a VERY nice M48a. I've got some Non-corrosive surplus Romanian 2013 production ammo if you want some that would be perfect for that rifle. It's what I shoot through my nicer Mausers. I would let a few hundred rounds go for 45 cents a round if you want it. PM me if interested.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    That's a VERY nice M48a. I've got some Non-corrosive surplus Romanian 2013 production ammo if you want some that would be perfect for that rifle. It's what I shoot through my nicer Mausers. I would let a few hundred rounds go for 45 cents a round if you want it. PM me if interested.

I am. Thinking 100 rounds would be more then I need.

Mostly I think I am. Going to test it and maybe shoot a few groups just to see how it shoots.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you are looking at 100 rounds, check SGA ammo or Outdoor Limited. Former is $15 a box for PPU SP and FMJ. The later is $15.49 per box of PPU match 8mm.

AIM has the stuff a little cheaper, maybe $1 a box less, but their shipping is higher.

Either way, you are talking maybe $160 or so for 100 round shipped. Less than buying 100 rounds at $20 a box.

Or if you really just want to try it out and don’t mind not reusing case and in no huge hurry I am happy to sell you a box of new manufacture Romain steel that I was mentioning for $10 for a box. Which is basically what I paid after shipping. Central HoCo. Could meet up near Baltimore. I don’t have a ton though, so I’d only really be willing to part with a box. But figured I’d offer.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Thanks for the offer but Baltimore is a ways for me I am down in Charles county.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Thanks for the offer but Baltimore is a ways for me I am down in Charles county.

Oh, yeah. I mean, I could swing down towards Laurel or something... but probably way too far still. I’d just order 100rnds from SGA Ammo, Outdoor limited or AIM surplus. Those will probably be your best bet on 8mm Mauser prices and their shipping isn’t ridiculous. Especially SGA and Outdoor

May 13, 2005
    I am. Thinking 100 rounds would be more then I need.

Mostly I think I am. Going to test it and maybe shoot a few groups just to see how it shoots.

Let me know when is good, I can usually get away in the day time, eveings are a little tough with kid activities unless the weather cancels. Weekend are usually good. :) Have I given you my cell before? If not I'll PM it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom