• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I just inspected a factory built Delton yesterday. The gas key screws failed the reverse torque test, I had to replace and stake.....the gas block screws were loose and the buffer tube threads were jacked up. Just my recent observations.

Interestingly, it had one stake on the castle nut( I was surprised to see that) but I had to pull the castle nut off to replace the end plate, and the castle nut was just barely tight.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I just inspected a factory built Delton yesterday. The gas key screws failed the reverse torque test, I had to replace and stake.....the gas block screws were loose and the buffer tube threads were jacked up. Just my recent observations.

Interestingly, it had one stake on the castle nut( I was surprised to see that) but I had to pull the castle nut off to replace the end plate, and the castle nut was just barely tight.

I think that is where the average person doesn't see value. Even if the parts aren't within spec that rifle would probably be pretty reliable for the average user (range duty) if it was simply assembled properly. That's a big factor in cutting costs when you have someone that isn't paid much slapping together rifles.

Let's face it. Prices for quality products aren't that high. You can get BCM blem stripped uppers for $60. Primary Arms was selling Geissele BCGs for $109. The list goes on.

For me, I'll buy a cheap rifle but the first thing I'll do is disassemble, inspect and reassemble. I dont have all the fancy gauges but I know enough to make sure it will come together right.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    I think that is where the average person doesn't see value. Even if the parts aren't within spec that rifle would probably be pretty reliable for the average user (range duty) if it was simply assembled properly. That's a big factor in cutting costs when you have someone that isn't paid much slapping together rifles.

Let's face it. Prices for quality products aren't that high. You can get BCM blem stripped uppers for $60. Primary Arms was selling Geissele BCGs for $109. The list goes on.

For me, I'll buy a cheap rifle but the first thing I'll do is disassemble, inspect and reassemble. I dont have all the fancy gauges but I know enough to make sure it will come together right.

Agree with both. Things wrong with the gas keys are concerning. It’s what has me suspect of a lot of the locally made AR’s that are still out there for sale, I don’t know nearly enough about the manufacturers to know I’m getting my money’s worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Agree with both. Things wrong with the gas keys are concerning. It’s what has me suspect of a lot of the locally made AR’s that are still out there for sale, I don’t know nearly enough about the manufacturers to know I’m getting my money’s worth.

I would suggest buying stripped lowers and start compiling parts. If the panic doesn't stop and the election kills all hopes, at least you've got something to work with.

If the panic buying stops and the market is flooded again you can buy a complete, reputable rifle for a reasonable price. Several if you like.

The stripped lowers is a CYA and at the very least. I did this pre 2013. I wasn't an AR guy but I figured what the heck. As it turns out I got the bug. That reminds me, I'm going to pick up a couple more.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    There is gonna be a huge run on stripped lowers, enough so that I've been thinking about grabbing a couple nicer ones like the Radian or ADM in case there's another ban after the elections in November.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I had a Colt and sold it for stupid money during the Panic back in 2013. Later bought a Del-Ton when things settled down for just under $500 and given a choice, I'll take the Del-Ton -reliable and a much better value with fit and finish easily as good or better than the Pony from Hartford.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I had a Colt and sold it for stupid money during the Panic back in 2013. Later bought a Del-Ton when things settled down for just under $500 and given a choice, I'll take the Del-Ton -reliable and a much better value with fit and finish easily as good or better than the Pony from Hartford.

These are the kinds of posts that scream I have no idea what I'm talking about.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I have about $900 in my latest build. Spike's Tactical upper, lower, BCG, and gas tube. Faxon barrel and gas block, BCM handguard, grip, and charging handle, no name but decent LPK and buffer assembly, Magpul stock. Better quality components than that Felton.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I wouldn't buy a Colt for a nickel today. They have screwed the American public on numerous occasions and they don't deserve our patronage. Places like Barret, LaRue, CMMG, and others are the ones that need our support as they have stood up to the anti gunners and not caved like Colt.

Careful- the fanboys might come for you too.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Yeah, it’s tough a call. Definitely high in cost but no way to know how prices / November will go. I think it’s 60/40 all depending on how summer shakes out; either way uncertainty has never been good for lowering prices.

I’ve found some nice FN’s out there but I’m not big on rifle length over carbine and they’re about 2-4 hundred more in price than even the overpriced DelTons.

I’m sure someone in the classifieds is selling something reasonably priced in the ar-15 world. Are shops really still selling out of all ar-15’s ? What lgs are you talking about?

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    And yours is a post that screams a fool and his money are soon parted.

I once felt like you do about Colts but then I started working in a gunshop after I retired.

I'm actually pretty frugal when it comes to my guns. I'm the ultimate cheapskate, buying things on sale. My favorite rifle is a Frankenstein that I probably spent less than $500.

Working in a gun shop gives people credibility? That's probably the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time and I spend a fair amount of time in this forum. Your comment is just fiction about Colt vs Del-Ton.

What gun shop did you work at? I'd like to tell people to avoid it.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    And these are the kind that scream, Colt fanboy.

Yeah...I think Ford 150s are wonderful pick up trucks. Does that make me a Ford fan boy? Never even owned a Ford.

We get it, some of you hate Colt. But you probably hate Tom Brady and Michael Jordan.

Let me guess. You worked at a gun shop one time.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    I’m sure someone in the classifieds is selling something reasonably priced in the ar-15 world. Are shops really still selling out of all ar-15’s ? What lgs are you talking about?

Cindy’s and Worth a Shot specifically, WoS sold out and Cindy’s has the nice but pricey FN.

Classified’s and IP’s have been dry for a bit, I usually check there first when shopping around. There’s an 18” colt CSR on there but from what I’ve read those were licensed by them so it’s just the name on there and the manufacturer is some smaller company. That’s about it for now.

Just crappy timing on my part, so not a huge biggie. Not slagging the above mentioned LGS’s, customer service was great, etc.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm actually pretty frugal when it comes to my guns. I'm the ultimate cheapskate, buying things on sale. My favorite rifle is a Frankenstein that I probably spent less than $500.

Working in a gun shop gives people credibility? That's probably the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time and I spend a fair amount of time in this forum. Your comment is just fiction about Colt vs Del-Ton.

What gun shop did you work at? I'd like to tell people to avoid it.

"Working in a gun shop gives people credibility?" - No, but it does give you exposure to customers who spend hard earned dollars on products expecting them to work and who are very disappointed when they don't!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville

Agreed. Give me ~$600-$700 and 2-3 months to watch sales, and I can build a real proper rifle. Not including optics.

I put together a basic spec rifle with nitride hbar barrel for a buddy, totaling just under $400. We're talking the basics, though, but reliable parts that will function without question every time. Those BCM blem uppers are really hard to beat.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    "Working in a gun shop gives people credibility?" - No, but it does give you exposure to customers who spend hard earned dollars on products expecting them to work and who are very disappointed when they don't!

So you're saying that Colt products have let your customers down? Don't insult our intelligence with dumb comments.

That's like saying the car salesman at Carmax knows what cars won't let a customer down.

Why won't you name the shop you worked for?

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    So you're saying that Colt products have let your customers down? Don't insult our intelligence with dumb comments.

That's like saying the car salesman at Carmax knows what cars won't let a customer down.

Why won't you name the shop you worked for?

You obviously have far and away more gun knowledge than I do so I won't trouble you with my limited and lacking comments. Regarding the shop,
    I won't name it because they are not an IP so it would be inappropriate to do so.

Ha, you might also find it amusing that I have bought four of my trucks over the years from Carmax, one was totaled in an accident, one I retired at 350K miles, one was bought by neighbor and is still on the road with almost 300K on it, and my latest has 22k and runs like a top

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    You obviously have far and away more gun knowledge than I do so I won't trouble you with my limited and lacking comments. Regarding the shop,
    I won't name it because they are not an IP so it would be inappropriate to do so.

Ha, you might also find it amusing that I have bought four of my trucks over the years from Carmax, one was totaled in an accident, one I retired at 350K miles, one was bought by neighbor and is still on the road with almost 300K on it, and my latest has 22k and runs like a top

Good thing Carmax has those automotive experts in the sales dept to make sure they push you toward the right vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom