• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I have been asked to make a presention on Firearm Safety at the November meeting of the Anne Arundel County Gun Violence Task Force. I intend to focus on 1) Safety With Firearms, 2) Safety When Dealing with Firearm Encounters/Confrontations, and 3) teaching safe practices for those not regularly encountering firearms. I will, of course, review the origins of the 2nd Amendment, and court cases that make it clear that the police have no duty to protect the private citizen. By the way, by the end of the year, approximately 1 out of every 777 Baltimore residents will have been shot during the year.

Here is the list of resources I have compiled so far. What have I missed?

NRA Training Programs
    Refuse to Be A Victim
    NRA School Shield Program
    NRA Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program
    CMP
    Project Appleseed
    Boy Scouts
    4-H
    Local Gun Clubs
    NSSF
    FASTER
    Local Gun Store Trainings
    Sandy Spring Promise
    USCCA
    National African American Gun Association

Also, any suggestions for other points I should consider? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    I don't have any worthwhile input, but thank you for taking this on.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Court cases, http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1976377/posts

In a free society the responsibility is on you. To remove the right to defend infers we are not in a free society.

The court rulings are numerous and make it abundantly clear, as the currently available patch says " No One Is Coming. It's Up To Us." My question to the task force will be this: Given that we are not entitled to police protection, and that this group favors increasing restrictions on law abiding citizens, where should we turn for protection?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Some advice, from a man who has given a whole lot of professional papers both here in the USA and in Europe...

1. I'm assuming you're using Powerpoint. Same principles apply if you aren't, though.
    2. Find out how much time you have. One slide per minute.
    3. Keep the slides simple. Try for no more than five lines, five words per line. That's a guide, not a hard rule, but it's a good one.
    4. Focus on safety. That's what you're scheduled to talk about. Don't waste half your time on 2A legal theory.
    5. Keep it simple. Remember that half your audience can just barely spell "firearm". They have no idea how the things work.

Things I'd focus on:

a. Firearms are simple objects. Even children can be taught to handle them safely.
    b. Follow the directions. Printed, and online resources. The old "I didn't know it was loaded" was and is total BS.
    c. Four basic rules of safety.
    d. Lead is not a problem. Bullet lead comes out of the ground, goes back into the ground, does not migrate. And most ranges have a program to dig the lead out of the impact area...shooters were recycling before anyone else had heard of the idea.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    Some advice, from a man who has given a whole lot of professional papers both here in the USA and in Europe...

1. I'm assuming you're using Powerpoint. Same principles apply if you aren't, though.
    2. Find out how much time you have. One slide per minute.
    3. Keep the slides simple. Try for no more than five lines, five words per line. That's a guide, not a hard rule, but it's a good one.
    4. Focus on safety. That's what you're scheduled to talk about. Don't waste half your time on 2A legal theory.
    5. Keep it simple. Remember that half your audience can just barely spell "firearm". They have no idea how the things work.

Things I'd focus on:

a. Firearms are simple objects. Even children can be taught to handle them safely.
    b. Follow the directions. Printed, and online resources. The old "I didn't know it was loaded" was and is total BS.
    c. Four basic rules of safety.
    d. Lead is not a problem. Bullet lead comes out of the ground, goes back into the ground, does not migrate. And most ranges have a program to dig the lead out of the impact area...shooters were recycling before anyone else had heard of the idea.

Thanks for the advice. Your coaching on format is right on. Having prepared and delivered multiple presentations I've confirmed your advice.

your Item #4: It's important to note that this "task force" is in fact a stacked deck. Anti's predominate; groups amenable to firearms were specifically excluded. That's what makes my selection to do this pivotal. In this context "safety" begs for an expansive interpretation.

I really like your point about lead removal, and who are some of the real leaders in environmental stewardship. I think I'll attempt to frame that somehow.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    T

I really like your point about lead removal, and who are some of the real leaders in environmental stewardship.

Hunters have been stewards of the environment long before there was a word for "ecology" or "environment".

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    Put a rifle in somewhere behind you but, visible to your audience. Get permission to bring it first. And don't touch it the entire time of your presentation. Tell them that firearms are not dangerous until a human picks it up.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    My suggestion. If you have never done this before, then this probably isnt the best choice to be your first. Find someone who is fully knowledgeable and may already have a presentation developed and presented it before.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Great opportunity, good luck! The only things that occurred to me to work in if you're going to touch on the safety of different types of firearms is something about semi automatic guns having been around for over 100 years. People seem to have the idea is some kind of new thing. Also, I'd mention that people usually take their home defense queues from the police. It used to be a six shot revolver or a shotgun, and now it's a semi pistol or patrol type rifle.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Also, I'd mention that people usually take their home defense queues from the police. It used to be a six shot revolver or a shotgun, and now it's a semi pistol or patrol type rifle.

Agree 100% on this. If it's OK for the police, it's OK for the public.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Def include JFPO and Pink Pistols. Maybe even highlight those organizations. They are a great way to show that firearm ownership isn't just for straight white males. Maybe also include Maj Toure and his work with Black Guns Matter.

Also, I always advise caution when talking about the police thing, especially if there are police in the audience. Most police officers are good and decent people and will do everything they can to protect you. Coming at it from the direction of "The police will generally do everything they can do help you, but if somethin happens and their are no units avaliable, or response time is delayed, and the person breaks in or harms you, the court have ruled you cannot sue the police."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom