Votes: 148 92.5%
    • No, keep NFA

Votes: 12 7.5%

• Total voters

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Serious question for you guys that have invested in MG's. Would you be in favor of ending the NFA restrictions on MG's so that they were cash and carry, like regular rifles? The plus: More freedom. More MG's. Lower prices. The downside (for you): your expensive investment is now worth ~10% of what you paid for it.

So, do you support ending NFA?

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016
    Repealing the NFA wouldn't affect the supply of machine guns

I am sure that it would. There are plenty of illegal machine guns already, but it would allow new ones to be stocked in store and people who don't want a felony on their record to buy them.

Also voted in the poll by mistake, my bad.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Serious question for you guys that have invested in MG's. Would you be in favor of ending the NFA restrictions on MG's so that they were cash and carry, like regular rifles? The plus: More freedom. More MG's. Lower prices. The downside (for you): your expensive investment is now worth ~10% of what you paid for it.

So, do you support ending NFA?

As someone with 6 Machine guns... Yes, 100% no questions asked, end the Unconstitutional NFA.

This whole idea that MG owners would not like to see the NFA die is based on a few, most often flawed assumptions.

1. Most of us are MG collectors. So while I have 6 MGs that might go to "10%" I will be able to buy 100s at 1/10 the price I would need to spend now. Ask yourself the same questions. Would you like the price of all guns to come down to 10% of the price, assuming it did not put the gun companies out of business. Yes your collection would be worth less but think of what you could buy!!!

2. We are not all in it for the money. While its true we would lose "value" most of us are not investing in this to retire on. There are some exceptions here and they tend not to be "gun" people. This is the big place you will find a few exceptions. However most of us are not willing to sell our freedom so cheaply!

3. While guns like the M16 and Macs would drop in value... Early MGs which will no longer be in production might see a serious increase in value. With the restrictions gone, may more will find themselves in the market. Historic guns might very well be driven up in value. Think how many have WWI and WWII collections with no NFA items. They can justify them being "off the table" and so not part of the collection. All the sudden a they are now missing a MP44 in their WWII rifle collection. Do you really see MP44s going down that much in price? Think about Luger Collectors. Think of any collector of guns at or above NFA prices. Early Lever guns, Several different Colt Guns... Historic guns might very well see a big increase in price. Finally think of all the people in non-NFA states. These guns are now rifles, opening up the market even more.

Being the VP of the only MG club in MD... I can not think of one MG owner I have met who would rather not see the NFA die! I am sure there are some dealers who might go out of business. Sure there are some with larger collections of the more modern MGs that might not want this... but by and large... the MG owners would overwhelmingly vote the NFA out! Hands down, no doubt in my mind!

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    3. While guns like the M16 and Macs would drop in value... Early MGs which will no longer be in production might see a serious increase in value. With the restrictions gone, may more will find themselves in the market. Historic guns might very well be driven up in value.

I hadn't thought about that....good point!

This is something that I think about from time to time. With all the talk of "compromise" in the politics of gun control, my thought of ACTUAL compromise would be to allow background checks on all gun purchases (UBC's), BUT take away NFA, GCA '68, and restrictions in FOPA '86. That would be true compromise, and I'd be OK with it. Maybe that's a question for another poll though :innocent0

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I’d like to see it end, if I trust you with a gun I could care less if it’s FA, suppressed, SBS, SBR, etc. I’m much more accurate with a semi auto anyway.

The problem we have is a revolving door of a justice system. Not sure when we’ll get to the point of locking people up and throwing away the key.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Is the Hughes Amendment an amendment to the NFA itself? As in would repeal of the NFA also take with it the Hughes Amendment?

I was thinking they were 2 separate, stand alone laws. But now that I think about it and it is called an "amendment" I may have been mistaken (hey, it happens)

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    As someone with 6 Machine guns... Yes, 100% no questions asked, end the Unconstitutional NFA.

This whole idea that MG owners would not like to see the NFA die is based on a few, most often flawed assumptions.

1. Most of us are MG collectors. So while I have 6 MGs that might go to "10%" I will be able to buy 100s at 1/10 the price I would need to spend now. Ask yourself the same questions. Would you like the price of all guns to come down to 10% of the price, assuming it did not put the gun companies out of business. Yes your collection would be worth less but think of what you could buy!!!

2. We are not all in it for the money. While its true we would lose "value" most of us are not investing in this to retire on. There are some exceptions here and they tend not to be "gun" people. This is the big place you will find a few exceptions. However most of us are not willing to sell our freedom so cheaply!

3. While guns like the M16 and Macs would drop in value... Early MGs which will no longer be in production might see a serious increase in value. With the restrictions gone, may more will find themselves in the market. Historic guns might very well be driven up in value. Think how many have WWI and WWII collections with no NFA items. They can justify them being "off the table" and so not part of the collection. All the sudden a they are now missing a MP44 in their WWII rifle collection. Do you really see MP44s going down that much in price? Think about Luger Collectors. Think of any collector of guns at or above NFA prices. Early Lever guns, Several different Colt Guns... Historic guns might very well see a big increase in price. Finally think of all the people in non-NFA states. These guns are now rifles, opening up the market even more.

Being the VP of the only MG club in MD... I can not think of one MG owner I have met who would rather not see the NFA die! I am sure there are some dealers who might go out of business. Sure there are some with larger collections of the more modern MGs that might not want this... but by and large... the MG owners would overwhelmingly vote the NFA out! Hands down, no doubt in my mind!

As a MG owner myself, I endorse all you say and add that yes, even though the value of what I own would fall, I am not willing to preserve that value at the cost of my countrymen's liberty. I would gladly suffer a drop in my investment value if it meant increased liberty for all.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    IF that somehow happened at the Federal level, and considering that we CAN NOT even buy an M1A Semi-Auto in Merry-Land, the MD Legislature would step in immediately and make NFA type weapons illegal for Merry-Land residents to buy, sell or transfer to other State Citizens... So things could become much worse... We get the Government that we have elected...66% of Merry-Landers voted AGAINST Trump & FOR Hilliary...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom