• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    Hi all. This post might be off the exact spirit of GunSmithing, but I wanted to see who I could drag into a project I'm about to start.

The short version is, there's a company developing a drop-in BCG that's designed (along with an adapter they are making) to remove the buffer tube for an AR-15.

Yes, you read that correctly. See here for more amazing, spectacular detail (kidding, it's an Instagram that's notoriously tight-lipped).

Basically, I would like to prepare for this by creating a 3d modeled AR-15 bullpup conversion. I have seen the various attempts over the past 10 years and they are all piece-meal, not well built designs, mainly in part due to the necessity of a buffer tube.

That said, this BCG will change the game, quite drastically and this company will almost certainly continue to grow once they drop the first iteration.

SO - I'm looking for someone to assist in 3d modeling an AR-15 bullpup design. Using either sketchup or blender to model it, and I've lined up a couple machine shops willing to produce small sample batches at a reasonable (to me) price.

Anyone here that's got good experience in 3d modeling? also looking for someone to consistently bounce ideas off of regarding internal mechanisms as I am trying to avoid the nightmare that is trigger bar linkages as in several other popular models.

I honestly don't anticipate much interest as MDS has a lot of more traditional / old school gun guys, but I think that, were the model to be viable / attractive enough, it could gain some momentum.

I await the flames / ideas / general lack of interest. :)

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    I'll bite if that BCG becomes reality. As for modeling I have no experience but can recommend you look at parts sheets for the Tavor trigger assembly (especially the latest model). That might provide some insight.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    I am a mechanical design engineer and FFL with experience testing experimental weapons. If you get serious about this and are willing to pay for development shoot me a PM.

MindTheGAP

Jan 4, 2018
    Maryland
    I have extensive 3d modeling experience. I have been doing it for a decade now. I love guns and love the idea of doing something new. How serious are you about doing this? Heres my portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/sargentcrunch

Very serious. I'm working on a combination of SLDPRT / .blend files now, though I don't have a SolidWorks license which is the unarguably most accurate model out there. Your skills would definitely put me to shame but I have some rough mockups to share. I'll PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom