• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    So I have been playing around with a Colt 1911 from late 1917/early 1918. The gun came to me rusted up and largely locked up. After much work, we finally managed to free all of the parts, tear it down, steel wooled with oil the rusty components, put it back together and got it to fire. The gun had some rust on the internals that locked it up at the thumb safety and grip safety. Upon playing with it some more, I discovered that if you cock the hammer and engage the safety, pull the trigger a few times followed by disengaging the safety, it will bring the hammer to a half cock. If you pull the trigger enough times with the safety engaged, it will drop the hammer completely and discharge if loaded. Obviously its jostling the sear enough to disengage the safety. The gun fails the "click test." If you cock the hammer and push the slide and barrel back 1/4" and pull the trigger, the hammer falls.

I figured if I wanted to correct that, I would replace the sear, disconnector and perhaps the thumb safety itself (with original WW1 era parts, of course). In my research, I have read a lot of about "thumb safety fitting." Does one need to fit a safety only if you are replacing it with an aftermarket part? Would an original factory part drop in? If I replaced all of the aforementioned pieces, would any "fitting" be required or should that solve the issue by simple drop in?

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Post up some pics. Be careful before you go doing too much. There are some models from around that time period that are super rare and demand high prices. Refinishing would surely reduce that value. If you replace the parts to make it safe to shoot be sure to keep the originals in case you decide to sell it some day.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Fitting is required of the lockwork pieces you mentioned. The rust you freed up reduced dimensions and increased clearances. If you experienced the hammer dropping with the slide off the frsme, that is not valid since the thumb safety can move up further than normal, increasing sear/thumb safety stud clearance.

If by 'jostling' you mean the thumb safety moves out of complete engagemnt, then the fit is incorrect or the safety detent spring is weak. First get the pistol to someone who really understands the 1911 to assess it. There are ways to refit some original parts if the material is there to do so. It will require someone who really understands the pistol.

Refinishing as mentioned is not desrable. Anything short if a full profssional restoration will only decrease it's value. Ths is along the quality of a Turnbull restoration which will cost more than $2000. The 1918 era guns were some of the more heavily produced quantities. So unless the specific example is rare, it may not be worth the cost of a full restoration.

Get it properly fitted and perhaps mantained in it's present finish condition and enjoy. It has a story to go with it.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Fitting is required of the lockwork pieces you mentioned. The rust you freed up reduced dimensions and increased clearances. If you experienced the hammer dropping with the slide off the frsme, that is not valid since the thumb safety can move up further than normal, increasing sear/thumb safety stud clearance.

If by 'jostling' you mean the thumb safety moves out of complete engagemnt, then the fit is incorrect or the safety detent spring is weak. First get the pistol to someone who really understands the 1911 to assess it. There are ways to refit some original parts if the material is there to do so. It will require someone who really understands the pistol.

Refinishing as mentioned is not desrable. Anything short if a full profssional restoration will only decrease it's value. Ths is along the quality of a Turnbull restoration which will cost more than $2000. The 1918 era guns were some of the more heavily produced quantities. So unless the specific example is rare, it may not be worth the cost of a full restoration.

Get it properly fitted and perhaps mantained in it's present finish condition and enjoy. It has a story to go with it.

I was thinking of doing a Turnbull job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom