• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Looking for lower build kit recommendations for my SBR build. Lower is spikes with 11.5" Colt Commando carbine upper. Will need a butt stock, and buffer/tube that will cycle reliably. Let me know if there's a best bang for your buck option (kit or piece together) or if what Brownells or PSA offers are good options. Looking to spend 150-175, Thanks in advance

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    As far as the buttstock goes, if I ever make an SBR I'll be using MFT Minimalist stock. Love the design. On both my ARs I use a generic milspec I got from Brownells.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    Just a note on the MFT, it is very slightly shorter than a Houge or other standard stock. With a 11.5 inch barrel this won't matter but with a 10.5 inch barrel you will struggle to get to the 29 inch OAL.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Buy which ever one you think will fit your style the best. With a barrel length of 11.5 inches, you shouldn't have any issues meeting the 29 inch minimum.

Good Luck!

Striknine

Jan 19, 2013
    Standard mil/spec carbine buffer tube, Tubb's 'Flat wire' action spring, standard carbine buffer(for now), End plate with sting attachment points. Slap on any stock that lights you up.

OK thanks, I was concerned that a standard carbine buffer wouldn't operate reliably. Shooting for grey furniture however not too many options out there besides magpul with this color scheme. I do like the minimalist stock as HordesOfKailas suggested but only black and FDE colors available. Now to find a build kit that includes everything minus the Grip and butt stock.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I buy my sh!t one piece at a time. That way I know what I'm getting. I might buy 'splash kits' and 'pin kits', but otherwise, I buy reliable individual parts. It's the only way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've built a complete AR pistol and rifle and an upper, so like 2.5 AR-15s. I did a pair of lower kits, a PSA and a Stoner. They worked well. My next one I am likely to buy it piece by piece. I will probably buy a buffer tube kit, but everything else I'll probably buy piece by piece.

It is somewhat more expensive, but the same cost or slightly less than buying a kit and then replacing half the parts in it.

Better trigger, better springs, better mag release, better retaining pins, etc.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    OK thanks, I was concerned that a standard carbine buffer wouldn't operate reliably. Shooting for grey furniture however not too many options out there besides magpul with this color scheme. I do like the minimalist stock as HordesOfKailas suggested but only black and FDE colors available. Now to find a build kit that includes everything minus the Grip and butt stock.

According to MidwayUSA, it comes in gray.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...malist-stock-collapsible-ar-15-lr-308-polymer

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom