• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I want to pick up a few lowers to beat the November "holiday rush". Is there a brand that is considered the nicest (coating, fit/finish, etc...)? From most of my research they all seem about the same.

I was looking at LRB Arms: http://www.lrbarms.com/m15sareceivers.html
    PSA seemed to be towards the bottom of the quality list.
    Thanks,
    Tom

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only difference is in the anodizing (Type II vs Type III), and to be honest, that's still a pretty trivial difference.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    A lower is a lower is a lower.

Get something with a rollmark that you like.

^This!

PSA isn't all that bad, picked up 2 after thanksgiving, but I did notice one machining error on the right side of the mag-well just in front of the trigger guard, looks like the tool for the machine nicked one area of the mag-well, aside from that cosmetic issue, good to go.

Stag lower I have, they kind of fudded their own roll-mark, one side seems to be deeper than the other - other than that, good to go.

Pick a roll-mark and go with it. :thumbsup:

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    Someone has a stripped lower in hand that they are looking to sell right now ;)

CMMG which I actually like the looks of just don't have the money to build up.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I like spikes

No matter what don't buy head down lowers
    if you do bring a lower parts kit to test openings like the buffer retainer. Also if you do not care about the finish or were planning to duracoat then HD is for you. :innocent0

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Whatever lower you get, make sure it is 7075-T6 aluminum (the mil spec) and not the softer 6061 aluminum. 7075-T6 has almost twice the tensile strength of 6061. 6061 stock is cheaper and easier to machine, and some manufacturers still use it. It's not a terrible metal and to be honest will likely be okay for a range gun, but it is nowhere near as strong as 7075-T6, which has a different alloy composition and is also heat treated.

Lowers are not nearly as easy or as simple to make as they may appear. Check out the primer here E.Shell was kind enough to do for the forum with pics on finishing his 80% lower and that will give you some idea of how much machining goes into them.

IMHO the gold standard is Colt, but you can't get them as stripped lowers. There's a good primer thread on the different brands of stripped lowers on arfcom.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/3...e__MMS__CMT__LAR__LMT_compared___.html&page=1

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Get a noveske. :D

Attachments

• _DSC5600.jpg
      _DSC5600.jpg
      35.1 KB · Views: 98
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts