• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have thousands of miles (including very bumpy, high speed expansion joints) on my carbon fiber. No issues.

Buy CF, upgrade components when able. Swap the nice stuff to a new frame in 5-8 years.

There is no comparison between between a "couple hundred" dollar bike and a 1.5-3K bike. That price point gets you into the very good stuff that any enthusiast will be happy with.

If going for Shimano eqpt, 105 is the entry point for road gear, moving up to
    Ultegra then Dura Ace. Stick with a 105 minimum entry point.

+1

olebess

Jan 11, 2011
    MontCo
    I ride a Scott Speedster 20 with an Ultegra group set and really love it. I think they're worth a look and a ride. As others before me said, fit is key. Not sure about the shops up north, but sounds like you're receiving sound advice from the other guys.

My wife tells me I need to pick less expensive hobbies ... bikes and guns aren't cheap and always seem to need upgrading. Good luck and have fun.

snavematt

say what?
    May 19, 2009
    Stafford, VA as of 5/7/13
    I ride a minimum of 4 times a week and started doing triathlons, first bike I got was a mid range Fuji, about 2 months of riding that I moved to a full carbon GT Expert with ultegra everything, I am also in process of getting a trek TT bike built. FWIW get full paddle shifters and high end crank set, I wished I would have and now I have a bike I rarely ride. I have some pedals that are clip less one side and regular the other if you want to try them, or just go clip less from the get go (road pedals are more comfortable to me than the SPDs) Also spend the money on higher end riding shorts, I personally wear Pearl Izumi Elite, bibs are awesome too. If you want to ride the bwi loop or B&A trail let me know, I would be glad to help you out

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    If you have any interest in recumbents try Mt Airy Bikes -they have everything in the 'bent world. I ride both recumbents and conventional bikes and have fun on both. Dont overlook craigslist if you are just getting back into bicycling- a 10 year old Cannondale or Trek can be very affordable and have lots of miles left in them-many bikes just hang in the garage and see very little use, tires and a tune up gets them back on the road. Good old steel frame bikes from the 70's and 80"s can be had for almost nothing$$.

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    Being a sales manager at a bike shop, you can even start to look at bikes equipped with Tiagra. Tiagra is now 10 speed starting in 2012.

But ride as many as you can put your butt on and decide from there.

Just keep in mind that most manufacturers, to keep costs in check, will skimp on wheels and the crank set.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    Don't overlook craigslist if you are just getting back into bicycling- a 10 year old Cannondale or Trek can be very affordable and have lots of miles left in them - many bikes just hang in the garage and see very little use, tires and a tune up gets them back on the road.

True dat. I have a Trek 5200 that I bought in 1993 when I was racing; at that time it was one level down from the 5900 that the USPS was racing in the Tour de France. It's still cruising, I finally replaced the wheels last year (I had two sets when racing and they all finally wore out). Also replaced my original gearset a few years back, replaced original Ultegra set with Ultegra again. The chain has been replaced 2-3 times, but the frame is still going strong.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I have heard good things about racepace, and can speak with personal experience about Joes in Mt. Washington. In my case, it was a mountain bike, but they are great. Have been back for accessories and service and have never had a negative experience there.

Just to give you an example, when I walked in I told them what I had been riding and what I was looking at online, so then they had an idea about my price range. They did show me the next model up, in case I could stretch a bit with my $,and showed me what the extra $ would be buying. But they didn't jackass around telling me how all of that sucks and instead to drop $3000 on some other bike.

I have broken stuff in crashes and they have just fixed it no questions asked, no $ paid. Great place.

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    Are there any members here that ride on road?
    I am looking to get back into it,I use to ride all the time.
    Just not in almost 20 yrs!:sad20:
    Any suggestions on equipment?
    I am pretty set on this ride.

The materials and technology of construction these days are all within each other to the point where I don't think you're going wrong btw carbon, steel, Ti, or alu. I have a C'dale Super Six and CAADX (cyclocross). Wheels are the biggest improvement you can make to a bike. If you're a bigger guy, improving your cranks will be paramount as well. A custom Ti bike will outlast you. A xerox'ed carbon bike, made in the same factory as every other carbon bike will last 3-5 years if you don't crash. If I could do it all over again, I'd go with the C'dale CAAD10 - best blend of lightweight, stiffness, and comfort. And it will dent before it breaks. I know of a big shop in MD that went to the CAAD10 over carbon frames for their race team. My brother rides a CAAD10 and is about 215lbs. He's on it with a set of tubulars he laced up himself. His CAAD10 is lighter than my Super Six with Carbon Rovals. How you plan on riding should factor in to the material you ride. If you're racing, alu or carbon. If you're just going to cruise along, ti or steel. If I had more $$ to spend on a frame, I'd have gone custom Ti or steel. The other issue here is how much do you want to spend? If you have more than $4k to spend and aren't racing, I'd go custom ti or steel. The benefits of those outweigh carbon all day long. In the end tho', it isn't the bike that makes the rider but the rider who makes the bike...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom