• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    help!

i was cleaning my garand last night and thought i had the barrel spic and span.
    upon further looking with a flashlight,i could see lead and copper fouling.
    what do you all recommend?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    WipeOut_small.bmp

:)

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    What lx1x said! Scott's gunsmithing in glen burnie has it. Get the accelerator as well as the wipe-out.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Nothing against foaming bore cleaners but remember you have a gas port, tube & piston as well as you have a Garand.

I found that many "gun cleaners" don't actually remove metal fouling at all, just the carbon! It's the brushing that scrapes off the jacket fouling!

I used to use Hoppes #9 & just let it soak overnight (or longer) but recently I switched to a couple of products that do chemically remove metal fouling better than anything else I've tried. Neither of these smells, neither has any ammonia & both will absolutely not attack the metal of the barrel if left in. Because of this you won't see blue/green patches but a black stain instead.

KG12 Big Bore is a one solution cleaner that can be used & left in the bore with no problems, or used normally with patches & brushes.

Another I'm using is M-Pro-7. This is a 2 solution cleaner, one is for everyday use (M-Pro 7 gun cleaner) & is a copper solvent & the other (M-Pro 7 Copper remover) is for those really heavy deposits & is much stronger.

Both companies have websites with more info & I think Midway sells both product lines.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Nothing against foaming bore cleaners but remember you have a gas port, tube & piston as well as you have a Garand.

I found that many "gun cleaners" don't actually remove metal fouling at all, just the carbon! It's the brushing that scrapes off the jacket fouling!

I used to use Hoppes #9 & just let it soak overnight (or longer) but recently I switched to a couple of products that do chemically remove metal fouling better than anything else I've tried. Neither of these smells, neither has any ammonia & both will absolutely not attack the metal of the barrel if left in. Because of this you won't see blue/green patches but a black stain instead.

KG12 Big Bore is a one solution cleaner that can be used & left in the bore with no problems, or used normally with patches & brushes.

Another I'm using is M-Pro-7. This is a 2 solution cleaner, one is for everyday use (M-Pro 7 gun cleaner) & is a copper solvent & the other (M-Pro 7 Copper remover) is for those really heavy deposits & is much stronger.

Both companies have websites with more info & I think Midway sells both product lines.

Kg-12 makes a copper cleaner that works very good, as well.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    I allways start my cleaning process running a metal brush thru the bore a few times before moveing onto the chemical stage.
    Latelly have been useing a bore snake as this first step.
    Next slovent,brush,solvent patch's till clean.
    Try useing a brush as the first step to help remove most heavy deposits before moveing on.:)

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Sweets 7.62 works really well for copper fouling. Follow the directions on the bottle carefully - and you'll be fine.

The stuff is the consistency of paint remover - but reeks of ammonia (which removes copper!) Ive used the stuff for years - and wont use anything else for getting rid of copper fouling. I would also use a bronze brush to scrub it, followed by patches. The brushes wont do harm if you use it correctly. Trust me a bronze brush is far more gentler than bullet screaming out of a bore at 2800 FPS, with over 50K CUP pressure behind it.

Make sure you dont leave Sweets 7.62 in the bore for a longtime (like overnight)-there has been claims it can etch the bore if you do. Keep running it through the bore, until your patches quit coming out greenish blue.

If you cant find Sweets 7.62 at your gunshop - Midway, and most online gun parts supplier carry it (like Brownell's)

l_100000001_1.jpg

As far as a general bore cleaner - throw away your Hoppe's if your using it. That stuff is crap. Shooters Choice bore cleaner works far better.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The brush alloy is almost identical to the bullet alloy...think about it.

The brush does not actually serve to remove copper fouling at all, and leaves it's own fouling as we rub it in and out. Do we (rational beings) really expect to remove a copper alloy from steel by rubbing it with copper alloy? I think not.

The purpose of the brush is to remove the layer of fouling that has been compromised by the solvent, what really does the work. The better the solvent, the faster cleaning progresses, and when we brush, all we do is clear the oxides and make way for the solvent to get to new metal to etch away. This is why plastic brushes work almost as well as bronze if decent solvent is used.

boothdoc

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 23, 2008
    Frederick county
    The brush alloy is almost identical to the bullet alloy...think about it.

The brush does not actually serve to remove copper fouling at all, and leaves it's own fouling as we rub it in and out. Do we (rational beings) really expect to remove a copper alloy from steel by rubbing it with copper alloy? I think not.

The purpose of the brush is to remove the layer of fouling that has been compromised by the solvent, what really does the work. The better the solvent, the faster cleaning progresses, and when we brush, all we do is clear the oxides and make way for the solvent to get to new metal to etch away. This is why plastic brushes work almost as well as bronze if decent solvent is used.

THIS!

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Well let me put it this way. After shooting & before cleaning I see copper streaks in the bore. After cleaning they are gone. I guess something is working!:party29:

Love Sweets BTW it's just the smell that is compromising my married status.:innocent0

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Well let me put it this way. After shooting & before cleaning I see copper streaks in the bore. After cleaning they are gone. I guess something is working!:party29:

Love Sweets BTW it's just the smell that is compromising my married status.:innocent0

Sounds like I need a case of Sweets, clears copper and unwanted spouses at the same time.:party29:

hawxter996

this avatar is offensive!
    Nov 11, 2008
    at home
    well i got my garand barrel spic and span,what did i find under all the fouling?...............RUST!:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Asdfg12345

Latest threads

Top Bottom