• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    They worth it? Seems like the discontinued armalite ltc in 762 is well loved as is windhams src and the cmmg mutant of course. Anyone have any of this type of gun? Is it practical or just basically expensive range toy? I'd be lying if I didn't think they were kinda cool.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Colt made a model called the Sporter that was in 7.62x39. My advice is to look for one of those. Might cost you, but should be reliable.

Knight41

Feb 16, 2016
    I bought a Radical Firearms upper ( http://www.radicalfirearms.com/product-p/cfu16-7.62x39hbar-15fhr.htm ) and put it on a DPMS lower with a Vortex SPARC II red-dot. It shoots great and is a ton fun. So far it's definitely been just a fun plinking toy, but I have other toys in the same caliber, so buying an upper wasn't a hard choice. One issue you may run into is finding 20 and 30rd mags that feed well. I bought a 10rd ASC mag and that has some feeding issues here and there. Still on the hunt for a good magazine.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    I am thinking of purchasing a Galil Ace in X39. You can use any AK mag and not like the proprietary mag required for the original Galil.

jpprock

Feb 24, 2012
    Easton
    I built one with a radical firearms upper a aim surplus bcg and asc mag. haven't had one single issue with it. It quickly became one of my favorite ar's to shoot

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Clandestine will be along to comment I'm sure but I did quite a bit of research before I bought my 5.45 ARs. Just wanted something super cheap to shoot.

Big issues I read about were magazines (the 20 and 30 rounders bend too far to be reliable) and bolts (take a bolt made for a .223 sized casing and mill the end out for a 7.62 sized casing, not much meat left). Those were enough to steer me towards 5.45 options. In the end I built two 5.45 uppers (16 and a 10.5) will Ballistic Advantage bolts and barrels.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Yeah I saw I think the mutant is the only one that had the meaty bolt, I think they took it froom their 308. The price of the windham is certainly attractive even though it needs optics. I figured the main attraction was the familiar controls with mega cheap ammo, even less than 223. Plus the whole thing abo it 762 ars being legal because Maryland.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    CMMG started with an AR10 rather than upsizing an AR. But with the AR you gain the advantage of multiple calibers and uppers instead of a dedicated gun. I don't think the Mutant can be configured but I haven't honestly researched them much since I got bit by the C&R bug.

Even with the sunset of 11 cpr 7N6 you can still get Wolf 5.45 for less than 5.56. Don't use the hollow point as it sometimes has feeding issues.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've always heard that 7.62x39 in the AR platform are often problematic regarding reliability. The problem is supposedly due to the magazine design requires more curvature than the designed magazine well of the AR platform can accomodate without design and manufacture changes. The mismatch creates issues and is why many 7.62 AR magazines are low capacity...a higher capacity would require excessive magazine curvature.

I'm sure there are very reliable examples out there and unreliable examples. You just never know which you're buying ahead of time.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    My first AR was a 7.62x39 AR. Wasn't really sure I wanted an AR. I have AKs, SKS, and VZ2008, a ton if 7.62x39 and no 5.56, so a 7.62x39 AR made sense to wet my whistle with. Figured I would get a 5.56 upper later. So, the 7.62x39 AR did its job. To familiarize me with the AR and like it. Mine was a BCA, a bargain gun. That said, the only issues I had were; 1. Some failures to feed from mags. The only mags I had issues with were the pinned ASC 30rd mag, and all the CPD 10rd mags. All the 20rd ASC mags ran fine. 2. I had a few failures to fire due to light primer strikes. BCA recommends against using steel case cheap Russian ammo, but that's the whole reason I got it, so I dealt with it. I had 0 failures to fire shooting a bunch of PPU brass ammo. I did buy an enhanced firing pin, and heavier hammer spring, which I have yet to install. Overall, I really like it. I have some 5.56 stuff now, but still enjoy shooting the 7.62x39. Mine has been really accurate to, even using crappy Tulammo. I chose the BCA over the Mutant for 2 reasons. 1. Modularity. I could swap uppers to use my 5.56 or 6.5G uppers. 2. Cost, much cheaper than the Mutant, and still had a lifetime warranty. Just my experience.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've always heard that 7.62x39 in the AR platform are often problematic regarding reliability. The problem is supposedly due to the magazine design requires more curvature than the designed magazine well of the AR platform can accomodate without design and manufacture changes. The mismatch creates issues and is why many 7.62 AR magazines are low capacity...a higher capacity would require excessive magazine curvature.
    While I agree somewhat, it seems like the modern 7.62x39 AR mags resolve this to a great extent, enough that manufacturers seem comfortable using them. My suspicion is that this line of thought is from the bad old days when people were trying to use 7.62x39 in 5.56x45 mags, which, indeed, does not work well at all.

That said, the cheap solution for 7.62x39 is to just buy a PSA KS-47 and drill in the mag overtravel stops. It's a pretty reliable solution at that point. The CMMG platform is technically superior on its own merits - their decision to create a hybrid AR-15/308 was quite clever and daring - but you've got to be willing to commit to it... a lot of it is proprietary.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    Any thoughts on the windham guns? They seem to be well regarded and for the price that seems to good to be true. Which of course I'm a follower of the "if it souhnds to good to be true it probably is" school of thought.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Any thoughts on the windham guns? They seem to be well regarded and for the price that seems to good to be true. Which of course I'm a follower of the "if it souhnds to good to be true it probably is" school of thought.
    The MGI Hydra has a pretty good rep, and I believe Windham licenses it for their system. If I ever found a Hydra lower with an AK-74 magwell, I'd buy it in a hot second.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I built a 7.62 X 39 AR using an Anderson upper and lower. I have not had a problem with the ASC mags feeding, but have had a few lite primer strikes, using steel cased ammo.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I keep thinking yes, but then I remind myself: standard size mags are a PITA in this state and 7.62x39 are ARs are finicky about mags. You cannot simply order a bunch and test em out.

When 300BLK prices per round come down more, I am going to take the dive into this. 300BLK has identical ballistics, easier and cheaper to get subsonic, and was designed for the AR platform. Just don't put your 300BLK ammo into 5.56!

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    .... and bolts (take a bolt made for a .223 sized casing and mill the end out for a 7.62 sized casing, not much meat left). Those were enough to steer me towards 5.45 options. In the end I built two 5.45 uppers (16 and a 10.5) will Ballistic Advantage bolts and barrels.
    Bolt face diameter has never been an actual issue. The 7.62x39 bolt face diameter is 0.445", as is the .50 Beowulf. The bolt face diameters for the .450 Marlin and .458 SOCOM are even larger at 0.473".

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Good caliber for deer that also provides cheaper plinking ammo. 2 birds 1 stone kinda thing.

Cheaper plinking ammo? Cheap .223 and 7.62x39 are the same price now with TulAmmo. And if we are talking quality ammo, brass cased 7.62x39 is expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom