• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    **I rant a bit about my love/hate for the g19, skip to bottom for pictures of +2 extension**
    I love my m&p9c and I love my full-size m&p45...but I've always wished S&W would do like glock with the g19 and make something in-between. The m&p45c is just about perfect in size, but it has way less capacity than even the m&p9c. If they made an m&p9 in the m&p45c size with about 15 round capacity, I'd gobble one up.

...but smokey, just get a g19. I know....I know.... I tried. My dad and brother both have a g19 and I've shot them a ton. They just don't work for me. The m&ps fit me better. I have realllllllllly tried to like glocks because I know they're just mechanically great guns. But m&ps aren't slouches and again, they work way better for me in my hands.

So what options do I have?
    1) Suck it up, just carry and shoot the m&p9c- This leaves me with 12+1 in a pretty easy to carry gun, but my pinky hangs off the grip if I use the flat base plate. As a result, I usually carry it with the pinky extension baseplate.

2) chop a full-size m&p- I have a bit of a hard-on for chopped guns. The concept of a gun with a full-sized slide, but compact grip is perfect to me. You get the velocity and sight radius of a full-size gun, but the concealability of a compact. For m&p's, that means sending it off to burwell to get the grip chopped. While you CAN get it chopped to a g19ish length with 15 rnd capacity, it requires heavily customized magazines. This means the most practical version is just chopping it to a compact grip length, which really defeats the purpose of doing this over just buying a compact

Screen Shot 2016-08-15 at 20.47.33.jpg
    3) Toss a mec-gar +2 extension on that beyotch- Meh, good enough. Until S&W comes up with a g19 sized m&p9, this is probably the way to go. The mec-gar +2 extension is the same length in the front as the pinky-extension base plate, but you're getting 14+1 instead of 12+1. This gets you close enough to g19 capacity, with juuuust enough grip-length to comfortably get all my fingers on there.

The only real issue is they don't really fit right for the m&p frame. To get mine comfortable, I filled in the two hollow cavities in the front with epoxy, then reshaped it to the m&p grip. 20 minutes with a file and sanding block and it's now good to go. Since the front is mainly the part that prints, it's not an issue to have the extra length behind it on the baseplate (compared to the pinky-extension factory baseplate). Sooo... here's what a 14+1 m&p looks like...

VZM.IMG_20160814_133823.jpg
    20160815_163031(1).jpg

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    c4af885b4e3af331e71142d5fecc6694.jpg
    a033346242f3dbeac2c835c2d628daab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, got those. They're just too much though. Full-sized mag length is cool for carrying in the mag carrier, but the length prints just a little too much out the back. The +2 is susbtantially shorter and falls roughly into the sweet spot for me for concealability vs. capacity

beretta_maven

Free Thinking Member
    Jan 2, 2014
    SoMD
    I going to try the Mec Gar +2 extensions for my M&P compact as you suggest. I already have the full-size grip adapters (shown above in Montoya32's post) and use the full-size mags for range practice, but they are just too big if you want to carry the M&P Compact. Thanks for the idea!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Glock, try putting more finger on the trigger, it helps to pull the trigger straighter to the rear (most peoples problems with Glock). The G19 is just about perfect and you know deep down you love it.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Yup, got those. They're just too much though. Full-sized mag length is cool for carrying in the mag carrier, but the length prints just a little too much out the back. The +2 is susbtantially shorter and falls roughly into the sweet spot for me for concealability vs. capacity

I keep the mag with finger rest in the gun while holstered and carry the full size mag separate.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I keep the mag with finger rest in the gun while holstered and carry the full size mag separate.

Yup, me too. With the +2's though, they're really just about identical in size to the finger extension, but you gain 2 shots. I figure if I'm making the magazine longer anyway, I may as well get a payoff in capacity.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Here's the before

Attachments

• 20160814_151230.jpg
      20160814_151230.jpg
      102.3 KB · Views: 1,931
    • 20160814_133601.jpg
      20160814_133601.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 1,415

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I was able to go to the range and put a couple dozen mags through the gun. Alls well. Seems like they're GTG reliability-wise.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This uses the standard spring, right? Any qualms about that?

Would you consider rounding off the bottom corners/edges of the extension?

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    This uses the standard spring, right? Any qualms about that?

Would you consider rounding off the bottom corners/edges of the extension?

It seems like the standard spring has plenty of travel for the small increase in length. I shot a bunch of USA forged, winchester white box, and a couple mags of 147 HSTs. I didn't have any malfunctions from this magazine with them. I think I still have some 147 +p+ underwood left somewhere, I'll top off a couple mags and see if the spring causes any issues getting the ammo up in time. With all normal ammo so far, it's been fine.

I did have a fail to extract with the usa forged with another magazine without the +2. Turns out it's suuuuuper dirty. The m&p also didn't care for it much for accuracy.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Not sure if you know, but the springs in the compact mags are the same as the 17 rnd mags. That is why they are so tight with the 12th round. Should have no problems with an extender unless you're going greater than 17 rounds

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    ... the springs in the compact mags are the same as the 17 rnd mags. That is why they are so tight with the 12th round. Should have no problems with an extender unless you're going greater than 17 rounds

Didn't realize that. I think I'll get a few of these. Thanks, Smokey.

... (Glocks) just don't work for me. The m&ps fit me better. I have realllllllllly tried to like glocks because I know they're just mechanically great guns. But m&ps aren't slouches and again, they work way better for me in my hands.

That describes my situation exactly.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Not sure if you know, but the springs in the compact mags are the same as the 17 rnd mags. That is why they are so tight with the 12th round. Should have no problems with an extender unless you're going greater than 17 rounds

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hmm, good info to know. It makes picking up spare springs easy if you've got a full size and compact.

I want to know why Smokey's Amazon review was more detailed than his MDS post.
    I didn't know this worked on an M&Pc. I have a .40 that digs into my hand (I could palm a basketball in 6th grade) and I rigged something up to make it more comfortable. I have since sanded off the excess JB Weld. This Mec Gar adapter will be purchased TODAY!!!

Attachments

• 20170322_190021.jpg
      20170322_190021.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 434

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I want to know why Smokey's Amazon review was more detailed than his MDS post.
    I didn't know this worked on an M&Pc. I have a .40 that digs into my hand (I could palm a basketball in 6th grade) and I rigged something up to make it more comfortable. I have since sanded off the excess JB Weld. This Mec Gar adapter will be purchased TODAY!!!

hahahaha It depends on how much rum was involved during the post-writing.
    https://www.amazon.com/MGR-M9-PLUS-2-ADAPTER/dp/B001OPPHI0

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I'm glad someone else has a love for chopped guns. I seem to be one of few who love my Sig P224 for that exact reason.

I first fell in love with the chopped gun concept working behind the gun counter and fondling a springfield xd45 compact tactical...
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-compact-tactical-model-45-acp/
    The grip allowed you to easily carry it like a sc, but the slide gave you the sight radius, muzzle control, and velocity of a full-sized gun. With full-sized mags and grip-sleeves in a mag holster, you can bump back up to full-size capacity with a mag-change. It just sucked that it came in an xd, but nothing else, as I just personally don't jive with xds that well. I wish more companies would put out at least one 9mm factory chopped gun.

EndangeredMooseknuckle

Abducted Cynic
    Jun 23, 2017
    Southern MD, St. Marys
    I first fell in love with the chopped gun concept working behind the gun counter and fondling a springfield xd45 compact tactical...
    http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/xd-compact-tactical-model-45-acp/
    The grip allowed you to easily carry it like a sc, but the slide gave you the sight radius, muzzle control, and velocity of a full-sized gun. With full-sized mags and grip-sleeves in a mag holster, you can bump back up to full-size capacity with a mag-change. It just sucked that it came in an xd, but nothing else, as I just personally don't jive with xds that well. I wish more companies would put out at least one 9mm factory chopped gun.
    I agree. Perhaps someone somewhere is listening and more will hop onboard the chopped wagon..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom