• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    So didn't pony up for an FAL before the 10/1 ban.
    So now I'm thinking of rectifying that mistake.
    It boils down for me to AR-10ish or CETME
    (Don't like the Vepr's (AK ergonomics don't work for me and only 8 rounds?) , don't like the LE901( non pinned gas block, too short barrel, no idea how proprietary it is, no thank you, plus its a Colt and I can build better for less). Truth be told I'd rather have a .308 DPMS than a Colt.
    Sig 716 is piston operated so thats right out (plus it's a Sig)
    FN SCAR H (Not enough $) same with Larue, LMT, and any other boutique rifles.

So for me the frontrunners are DPMS Tac 20 and get rid of the stupid quad rail.
    DPMS G2 (not sure about this as they dont offer a longer barrel with irons just a stupid exposed gas block)
    CETME and replace the brake for a flash hider.

Liking the looks of the PSA AR-10 18" Midlength (but Chad says reliability issues?)

Or roll my own. Does anyone know of a short fixed stock for AR-10's? Thinking fixed stock, 20" irons (flat top preferred) medium weight barrel, not sure on handguard (free float vs non) although popping an optic on for DMR work might be in the future.
    Also would like to keep weight around ~10 lbs.

I don't know if you can still buy them here but I have a pre-ban Kalashnikov Saiga in .308. I converted it, which I think you can't do anymore, and I added a Fostech "Bumpski" aluminum stock. It's freakin' AWESOME! :D. I stocked up on surplus 7.62X51 NATO because this sucker eats it quick.

Feb 28, 2013
    Having owned a CETME, I'd not recommend one. Parts were hard enough to find, and the one I got from Century required a new bolt head.

That's probably still the best bang for your buck though, and Apex Gun Parts sells a lot of CETME stuff. That's where I got all my parts when I customized mine.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If you get a Cetme stock up on parts and buy alot because the parts you are getting are probably surplus used.

I don't like the PSA .308s.

Arma lite .AR10 A4 I believe takes the SR25/DPMS mags. Get one and remove the clamp on FSB with a pinned GSB, Gas Block, or better off an SLR adjustable Gas Block and pin it.

DPMS LR308S are decent but often need some tweaking to run well. Tubb Action Spring. Ramp and Chamber Work, and a Geissele.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    CETME is ok , IF you like them in their inherent configuration. With modern day expectations of tinker toy guns with readily swapping all the goodies , the AR-10 -ish platform is the way to go$

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    If you get a Cetme stock up on parts and buy alot because the parts you are getting are probably surplus used.

One reason I'm leaning towards an AR-10

I don't like the PSA .308s.

Care to elaborate?

Arma lite .AR10 A4 I believe takes the SR25/DPMS mags. Get one and remove the clamp on FSB with a pinned GSB, Gas Block, or better off an SLR adjustable Gas Block and pin it.

DPMS LR308S are decent but often need some tweaking to run well. Tubb Action Spring. Ramp and Chamber Work, and a Geissele.

Are the DPMS triggers that bad? Remember I use an impact gun with a 10+ pound trigger. Trigger feel aint an issue.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Of the presented options, I'd go DPMS G2 or roll my own. Rolling your own you lose the main benefits of the G2 (size, weight, etc.), but you can get exactly what you want.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    That's probably still the best bang for your buck though, and Apex Gun Parts sells a lot of CETME stuff. That's where I got all my parts when I customized mine.

There's a reason they're cheap. The Drunk Monkeys at Century put them together.

Mopar, I may still have an original CETME flash suppressor if you go this route. Let me know, I'll try to dig it up.

GHETTO BLASTER

May 27, 2013
    Are the DPMS triggers that bad? Remember I use an impact gun with a 10+ pound trigger. Trigger feel aint an issue.

The trigger on my recon308 is fine,nothing to call home about but nothing wrong with it. The thing is a tank though with the quadrail bipod and scope but not unmanagable, I've gotten used to it.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Not to rub it in, but a FAL was my last purchase.:innocent0

That being said, I still think about putting together an AR10. I was planning on rolling my own bits and pieces at a time. Keep an eye out for blemish uppers and lowers, then you can spend some extra on a nice BCG and barrel.

CanDoEZ

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 23, 2008
    SoMD
    My SIG 716 has been running well... even if it is a dreaded piston gun.

Sent via SATCOM burst transmission. Triangulate this, bitches :)

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    Poly tech M14

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
      IMG_0234.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 2,239
    Feb 28, 2013
    There's a reason they're cheap. The Drunk Monkeys at Century put them together.

They did alright with my WASR. Not a bit of trouble out of that.:)

I think they've cleaned up their act a bit since the issues they've had a while back.

Mopar, I may still have an original CETME flash suppressor if you go this route. Let me know, I'll try to dig it up.

That won't fit on a C308. A CETME flash suppressor has metric threads. Ask me how I know. :innocent0

I had to order a bottoming tap and rethread mine to make it fit.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I would give the Ruger SR7.62 a look.

In general I would go AR10 given the current options. Which flavor is up to you but I wouldn't get one with maker special mags.

I thought about building my own since I have done AR15's but didn't want to dig into which parts went with what rifle so I got the Ruger. Plus, I figure Ruger will be around as long as I am if I ever have an issue with it.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Poly tech M14

No. Just no.
    Ugly, unreliable, to use the plethora of USGI and improved parts would involve extensive modification(also illegal), inaccurate, low tolerance to bad conditions (read about M14's in moisture IE Vietnam), heavy for the sake of heavy, outdated, inability to use optics, and you need to pay a smith mortgage payments to make it worthwhile. If I wanted surplus junk I'd throw a Archangel stock on my Mosin.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    No. Just no.
    Ugly, unreliable, to use the plethora of USGI and improved parts would involve extensive modification(also illegal), inaccurate, low tolerance to bad conditions (read about M14's in moisture IE Vietnam), heavy for the sake of heavy, outdated, inability to use optics, and you need to pay a smith mortgage payments to make it worthwhile. If I wanted surplus junk I'd throw a Archangel stock on my Mosin.

funny mine runs just fine, is accurate and is MD legal like you asked. You must have gotten a Bad one or something to try out

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom