• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cherocapri

Oct 25, 2016
    Maryland
    If I am sighting in an optic with 0.5 MOA adjustments and I want to site at 25 yards would it be

1 moa = 16 clicks?

BLAH! this is my girlfriends account, I accidentally posted on this my username is Ascorb LOL. I have no idea how to delete a thread.

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    You are probably right, heading to freestate now to sight in. Tha ks!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Minute of angle is an angular measurement, on an optic where 0.5 MOA per click it is 0.05 MOA regardless of distance. One minute of angle will move the point of impact (a lineal measurement) a different amount at different distances, for practical purposes 1 MOA is approximately 1 inch at 100 yards. Therefore 1 MOA at 100 yds. = 1"; 1 MOA at 200 yds. = 2"; so 1 MOA at 25 yds = 1/4".
    https://www.nssf.org/shooting/minute-angle-moa/

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    If I am sighting in an optic with 0.5 MOA adjustments and I want to site at 25 yards would it be

1 moa = 16 clicks?

NO... 1 MOA is 2 clicks for your scope. It doesn't matter what distance.

If you mean 1 inch at 25 yard (4 MOA) then yes...8 clicks

tkd4life

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2010
    Southern Maryland
    NO... 1 MOA is 2 clicks for your scope. It doesn't matter what distance.

If you mean 1 inch at 25 yard (4 MOA) then yes...8 clicks

This. 1 Moa is 2 clicks no matter what. At 100 yds 1 Moa is about 1 inch. At 25 yds, it’s about .25 inches. 1 click at 25 yds is about .125 inches. It’s about .5 inches at 100.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Minute of angle is an angular measurement, on an optic where 0.5 MOA per click it is 0.05 MOA regardless of distance. One minute of angle will move the point of impact (a lineal measurement) a different amount at different distances, for practical purposes 1 MOA is approximately 1 inch at 100 yards. Therefore 1 MOA at 100 yds. = 1"; 1 MOA at 200 yds. = 2"; so 1 MOA at 25 yds = 1/4".

This is true, but I don't think this is what he was after. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he needed to know how many clicks equalled an inch @ 25 yds when 2 clicks (more or less) equalled an inch @100yds. That was the basis of my answer. Plus, I spent the whole day in a tree and my mind was mush.

*Puppy dogs and kittens*

Last edited:

Major03

Ultimate Member
    This is true, but I don't think this is what he was after. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think he needed to know how many clicks equalled an inch @ 25 yds when 2 clicks (more or less) equalled an inch @100yds. That was the basis of my answer. Plus, I spent the whole day in a tree and my mind was mush.

So, for everyone else, stop it with the MOA stuff. I don't think he was looking for MOA on an AR pistol build.

While I’m sure you’re right, I think the responses were on target :)

It’s important to understand the concept that MOA is an angular measurement and that each click moves the strike of the round different distances depending on the distance to the target.

I’m guessing the OP will eventually want to shoot beyond 25 yds and may want to adjust his scope, so while a simple answer to his question would take care of him today...tomorrow he might still be confused.

I like teaching concepts

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    I am forever confused but I found an app called scoop tool that literally just outs the number of clicks to meet my goal, just add scope moa per click and distance and angle and boom

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Until you discover the rated number of moa per click is "nominal " often as not except on high end target type scopes. But yes , a good starting point , just don't expect perfection w/o real world testing.

I will have to salute MDS's first instance of admitted InternetTransvestitism ;) . NOT that there's wrong with that.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

It’s important to understand the concept that MOA is an angular measurement and that each click moves the strike of the round different distances depending on the distance to the target.

I’m guessing the OP will eventually want to shoot beyond 25 yds and may want to adjust his scope, so while a simple answer to his question would take care of him today...tomorrow he might still be confused.

I like teaching concepts

:thumbsup:
    Teach a man to fish.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I like teaching concepts

You are right, of course. This is a SHOOTING FORUM after all. :)

ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Ugh, I wish they had a class on zeroing and and the math behind all of this. I just use a calculator lol. I would love to learn these things in a deeper sense. I dont zero much at all cause optics are expensive but if I were stuck in an apocalyptic scenario I would probably need to know these in the field lol. I'm just another basic shooter lol.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    Ugh, I wish they had a class on zeroing and and the math behind all of this. I just use a calculator lol. I would love to learn these things in a deeper sense. I dont zero much at all cause optics are expensive but if I were stuck in an apocalyptic scenario I would probably need to know these in the field lol. I'm just another basic shooter lol.

How many moa scope?
    The math for the bullet drop is usually on the box pmc xtac

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpg
      IMG_2418.jpg
      40.2 KB · Views: 143

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Here's something that may help. Note that 1MOA @ 100 yds is an inch, @ 1000yds. it is 10 inches.

Given that most scopes and electronic sights are "click adjustable" and in your case one click @ 100yds=one half inch. In sighting scopes for zero, all you really need to remember is this:

If your scope says 1 click= 1/2" at 100yds, if you cut that distance in half(50yds) you need to double the number of clicks to equal the same value. @50yds 2 clicks=1/2"

Now, lets take it the other way. Say your rifle is zeroed at 100yds, but you want to zero it at 200yds. Your scope says 1 click=1/2" @ 100yds. Now, at 200yds, we need to use half the number of clicks to achieve the same result which means now that 1 click now equals 1 inch(1/2" @ 100yds=1" @200yds). I hope I haven't added more confusion. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    With respect Zeroing is simple. Calculating and dialing in changes for different distances can sometimes get complicated.

Added - Looks a little harsher written on the screen than I intended.

To restate for extra simple , w/o any theory, and presuming this is for .223 , some sort of AR-ish gun.

Perform basic boresighting . should be able to get windage pretty darn close , elevation is more variable , if only because of minir variations of center of optic distance above bore line .

With basic boresighting , you will definately bee on paper @ 25yds . Shot 3shot group . Readjust elevation with ballpark guestimate using 8 click per inch . That sould get you substantially closer .Another 3 shot, final tweek .

If you are trying for the proverbial battle zero of 25yd & 300 somthing yds , declare Victory.

( I would generally recomend a 50 & 200 zero , but that's a seperate eternal discussion . )

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    With respect Zeroing is simple. Calculating and dialing in changes for different distances can sometimes get complicated.

Added - Looks a little harsher written on the screen than I intended.

To restate for extra simple , w/o any theory, and presuming this is for .223 , some sort of AR-ish gun.

Perform basic boresighting . should be able to get windage pretty darn close , elevation is more variable , if only because of minir variations of center of optic distance above bore line .

With basic boresighting , you will definately bee on paper @ 25yds . Shot 3shot group . Readjust elevation with ballpark guestimate using 8 click per inch . That sould get you substantially closer .Another 3 shot, final tweek .

If you are trying for the proverbial battle zero of 25yd & 300 somthing yds , declare Victory.

( I would generally recomend a 50 & 200 zero , but that's a seperate eternal discussion . )

I seconded the 50 & 200 meter zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom