• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    Hi, my name is Eric, I live in St. Mary's County, and am developing an interest in gun ownership and legislation.

I am from Tenn (but have lived all over) and was exposed to guns in my youth. I had an heirloom double-barrel for a while that I shot a few times but I was never much of a gun enthusiast (just wasn't my thing). Over the past few years I started to go off-roading in the mountains a bit (VA, WV, PA, primarily)--I know there are bears in the woods because a lot of these places are bear-hunting access roads. Now with the pop-up revolutions just the traveling has become a concern, IE going through Fredericksburg on my way to the mountains during one of the mayor's "sanctioned events" is potentially not a good time. So I am looking for something I can carry in the vehicle on the way in, around, and back out of the mountains.

I bought a Stoeger M3000 for general use a while ago, home defense / hunting / targets / whatever, and have been having fun modifying it (M-Lok handguard, lighter recoil spring, Benelli extractor, etc). I cannot transport a loaded shotgun, so it is limited utility for mobile defense. I started looking at things like AR pistols and some SBRs, they would be good truck guns and I believe I can carry with the W&C permit. I have completed my training and waiting for my HQL to come, and am also working through the permit process (known acceptable reason due to the job). Once I get the MD card I should be able to get a non-resident PA card, and in conjunction with the Utah or Fla non-resident cards I will have most of the Appalachian states covered (not SC or the NE states like Maine).

At the moment I am primarily interested in figuring out the legal issues for how to have a loaded gun in the jeep. If it has to be a handgun in particular, then so be it, I will buy one, but I would rather it be a larger frame for reliability at distance, while still being small enough to defend against someone trying to break the window or open the door (CZ Scorpion pistol variant would be about perfect).

Also interested in the sporting side, like skeets and three-gun stuff. I have access to the Pax NAS Skeet Club, but I don't know of any three-gun activity down here (maybe at Sanners Lake, hard to get a callback).

I've been stalking the forum for a bit and it seems pretty informative. Thanks for all the silent help so far.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    Hi, my name is Eric, I live in St. Mary's County, and am developing an interest in gun ownership and legislation.

I am from Tenn (but have lived all over) and was exposed to guns in my youth. I had an heirloom double-barrel for a while that I shot a few times but I was never much of a gun enthusiast (just wasn't my thing). Over the past few years I started to go off-roading in the mountains a bit (VA, WV, PA, primarily)--I know there are bears in the woods because a lot of these places are bear-hunting access roads. Now with the pop-up revolutions just the traveling has become a concern, IE going through Fredericksburg on my way to the mountains during one of the mayor's "sanctioned events" is potentially not a good time. So I am looking for something I can carry in the vehicle on the way in, around, and back out of the mountains.

I bought a Stoeger M3000 for general use a while ago, home defense / hunting / targets / whatever, and have been having fun modifying it (M-Lok handguard, lighter recoil spring, Benelli extractor, etc). I cannot transport a loaded shotgun, so it is limited utility for mobile defense. I started looking at things like AR pistols and some SBRs, they would be good truck guns and I believe I can carry with the W&C permit. I have completed my training and waiting for my HQL to come, and am also working through the permit process (known acceptable reason due to the job). Once I get the MD card I should be able to get a non-resident PA card, and in conjunction with the Utah or Fla non-resident cards I will have most of the Appalachian states covered (not SC or the NE states like Maine).

At the moment I am primarily interested in figuring out the legal issues for how to have a loaded gun in the jeep. If it has to be a handgun in particular, then so be it, I will buy one, but I would rather it be a larger frame for reliability at distance, while still being small enough to defend against someone trying to break the window or open the door (CZ Scorpion pistol variant would be about perfect).

Also interested in the sporting side, like skeets and three-gun stuff. I have access to the Pax NAS Skeet Club, but I don't know of any three-gun activity down here (maybe at Sanners Lake, hard to get a callback).

I've been stalking the forum for a bit and it seems pretty informative. Thanks for all the silent help so far.

Welcome - what part of TN? Most of my mom’s side is south of Cookeville but I have family all over. As you know, MD isn’t a fraction as gun friendly as TN but St Mary’s Co is beautiful place.

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    Welcome - what part of TN? Most of my mom’s side is south of Cookeville but I have family all over. As you know, MD isn’t a fraction as gun friendly as TN but St Mary’s Co is beautiful place.
    My parents' families were centered around Nashville but I lived in Oak Ridge in my late teens (then back to middle Tenn for college and early career). Stopped in Cookeville as our halfway rest stop many times.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Welcome!

To stop people from making poor pot shot moving hunting shots, (outside of the near impossible MD wear and carry permit) its almost completely illegal to have any loaded firearm in a vehicle in MD. Even if the vehicle is stopped. Includes boats. DNR has even gone as far as having the court rule that a shot gun or rifle leaning against the side or tailgate of a vehicle is "in" the vehicle. This is LONG standing law in MD. Out there on those trails, the most likely LEO you will encounter will be DNR officers. Best of luck on the MD permit.

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    Welcome!

To stop people from making poor pot shot moving hunting shots, (outside of the near impossible MD wear and carry permit) its almost completely illegal to have any loaded firearm in a vehicle in MD. Even if the vehicle is stopped. Includes boats. DNR has even gone as far as having the court rule that a shot gun or rifle leaning against the side or tailgate of a vehicle is "in" the vehicle. This is LONG standing law in MD. Out there on those trails, the most likely LEO you will encounter will be DNR officers. Best of luck on the MD permit.

Yessir I have read some of the rules for state forests and state parks and it is all pretty strict (apparently stricter than I thought, however, thanks for the details). There is very little full-size 4x4 off-roading in MD so almost all my time is spent in the surrounding states, and they are all much more 2A friendly. My MD permit is just to get all of those.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

ehall

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 19, 2020
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][/URL][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    Oingo Boingo! haha

Some other places that sell down here:

The Tackle Box (fishing and hunting gear, lots of gun stuff)
    Bob's Sunoco (not a gas station any longer, just guns and liquor now [really])
    Dick's Sporting Goods (Lexington Park and one other are still selling firearms and ammunition)

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Oingo Boingo! haha

Some other places that sell down here:

The Tackle Box (fishing and hunting gear, lots of gun stuff)
    Bob's Sunoco (not a gas station any longer, just guns and liquor now [really])

Dick's Sporting Goods (Lexington Park and one other are still selling firearms and ammunition)
    The Tackle Box & Bob's Sunoco are on the map and are legit.
    The other can eat a bag of themselves and were voted off of the island.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're trying to halfway do what can be best done the whole way .

West Va is Constitutional Carry . So carry a handgun ( that You feel is suitable for Yogi repellent , I'm not touching that issue in this thread .)

Virginia is Open Carry . So carry ( handgun) loaded and openly .

Pennsylvania is Open Carry with an astrix . The astrix being transported in a vehicle . Pa will accept ANY carry permit to carry loaded , either open or concealed INSIDE the Vehicle . Once you step out of the vehicle , it must be Open . ( Avoid City of Philadelphia ).

Real Solution - Obtain a Non-Resident carry permit from wherever . Be good either way in Va & WV , and do the shirt tail tuck in Pa .

Additionally - Out deep in the woods ( ie on a Jeep trail with bears nearby ) a plausibly Self Defensish handgun will generally be seen as a SD handgun by Ranger/ Warden/ Deputy/ etc , ( particularly if you have carry permit) unless you are doing obviously Hunting- like things . A serous caliber long gun would raise more eyebrows about your potentially engaging in illegal hunting .

Added - Opps , I forgot to start with my usual. WELCOME !

yeehall

Dec 21, 2020
    Got my WCP, and NR permits for UT and PA. Been shopping and building a lot this year too:

View attachment 302394

Got banned for "duplicate IP" which makes no sense. Emails to the listed admins do not get replies. Is anyone manning the phones?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom