• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    OP, join a good firearms forum and ask questions there, most will be able to point you to the correct legal advice/State rules and regs.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    It's a different caliber using different mags not compatible with any AK47. Only physically looks like an AK47.
    The question really becomes "do they mean fully interchangeable excepting caliber-specific differences?" They seem to go both ways, which is slightly maddening.

The AK-47 situation is a weird one due to the wording of the law (remember that it's not just AK-47s, it's also "Avtomat Kalashnikov"). I've always thought the MSP was wrong in allowing the 74, but shaking the boat is never a good thing - what if we ever get an AG who decides to retroactively go after people? A lot of people could potentially go to jail in a situation like that.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    "Avtomat Kalashnikov in any format"

I dont know what people are thinking. The MSP does not have a massive magical collection of guns and armorers. When you submit a gun, they do not actually check by putting bolt A in slot B.

They Google some schematics in the public domain, same as everyone here. Then they say banned. Or not. But mostly banned to be on the safe side. There is a growing list of rifles they've got wrong - a few were unbanned because it could be shown the determination was wrong. Appeal is hard in some cases, you have to have two rifles (one possibly rare) and be able to show bolt A does not go in slot B. And you have to be an FFL with a lot of time, money, and a collection.

Ask stupid questions, about a vague list of guns written decades ago, win stupid prizes.

DrNRA

Feb 2, 2017
    Bethesda
    Lame. Parts are not interchangeable with AK47 or AKM. Bolt stem, bolt carrier, trunnion, receiver thickness are totally different.

Last edited:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Seems like the OP hasn't posted a message since this thread. I hope he learned a lesson.

LenS

Jul 24, 2005
    Мэрилендщина
    "Avtomat Kalashnikov in any format"

I dont know what people are thinking. The MSP does not have a massive magical collection of guns and armorers. When you submit a gun, they do not actually check by putting bolt A in slot B.

They Google some schematics in the public domain, same as everyone here. Then they say banned. Or not. But mostly banned to be on the safe side. There is a growing list of rifles they've got wrong - a few were unbanned because it could be shown the determination was wrong. Appeal is hard in some cases, you have to have two rifles (one possibly rare) and be able to show bolt A does not go in slot B. And you have to be an FFL with a lot of time, money, and a collection.

Ask stupid questions, about a vague list of guns written decades ago, win stupid prizes.

Technically speaking, it's Avtomat Kalashnikova :D, would that make a 74 legal :)

TerminatorSVT

Aug 26, 2012
    Behind Enemy Lines
    I was interested in purchasing the rifle and my FFL wasn't sure if it was legal to transfer, so I submitted a request to MDSP. What else was I supposed to do? Their reasoning is flawed because the parts are not interchangeable with an AK47. I am going to respond to them and let them know that.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I was interested in purchasing the rifle and my FFL wasn't sure if it was legal to transfer, so I submitted a request to MDSP. What else was I supposed to do? Their reasoning is flawed because the parts are not interchangeable with an AK47. I am going to respond to them and let them know that.

I think responding to them will cause more harm than good.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

You should have looked for another FFL. Did you honestly think you'd get a fair shake from the MSP? I gotta say, you ruined it for a LOT of people.

mtbiker

Dec 31, 2016
    SoMd
    Please stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom