• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I just can't see myself dipping BCG's into bucketfuls of the stuff, but that's just me.... :innocent0

Would be happy to hear any suggestions etc. from you guys with lots of experience using motor oil as a lubricant... :)

When you dip the BCG into the oil, it takes care of the bolt lubrication. And all the other required lube when you put it back into the rifle.

Before you dip, synthetic grease on the bolt wear areas, and no grease in the star chamber.

Using Chad's method has worked 100% for me, and I clean a WHOLE LOT LESS. Maybe once every 10 range trips, and sometimes less.

Let the carbon build up where it does. It doesn't affect functionality as long as the parts are lubed correctly.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    When you dip the BCG into the oil, it takes care of the bolt lubrication. And all the other required lube when you put it back into the rifle.

Before you dip, synthetic grease on the bolt wear areas, and no grease in the star chamber.

Using Chad's method has worked 100% for me, and I clean a WHOLE LOT LESS. Maybe once every 10 range trips, and sometimes less.

Let the carbon build up where it does. It doesn't affect functionality as long as the parts are lubed correctly.

Got myself a squirt oil can like the one pictured below, it's filled with 5w20 mobil 1 and I just squirt oil all over the BCG and into all the nooks and crannies, then I spread it around evenly and remove any excess that might result in dripping. At this point, given the type and amount of shooting I do, I'm satisfied that this method is going to serve me adequately for the foreseeable future, but thanks for the tips.

Attachments

• oil can.jpg
      oil can.jpg
      16.2 KB · Views: 107

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom