• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I'm on the list of people waiting for the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor to come back in stock at the discounted price + rebate. The goal is to be able to hit a 12" plate at 500yds, although most shooting will be at 200yds.
    These are a few of the scopes I have been eyeing:
    Nikon Prostaff 4-12x40 ($189)
    Vortex Crossfire II 4-12x40 ($190)
    Vortex Diamondback hp 4-12x40 ($200)
    Primary Arms 4-16X44 Illuminated Mil Dot Scope ($160)

Anyone have first hand knowledge and/or recommendations on a decent cope for $200-$300 range?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'm on the list of people waiting for the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor to come back in stock at the discounted price + rebate. The goal is to be able to hit a 12" plate at 500yds, although most shooting will be at 200yds.

Anyone have first hand knowledge and/or recommendations on a decent cope for $200-$300 range?

Check the manufacturers warranty some offer a lifetime.

Here is Nikon's
    http://www.cabelas.com/assets/product_files/pdf/nikon_warranty.pdf

Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    if you aren't married to variable power / fancy reticles, try the SWFA SS fixed power line. its at the top of your budget compared to the others. can be had for around $300 and they do have sales often.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-30mm-riflescope-3.html

I have a 12x on my Savage Model 10 and love it. Glass is on par with Vortex.

This. I have the Fixed x10 (Tactical) and I've engaged targets out to 1260yds with it, regularly. At $399, a steal. I did have a problem with my first one, but SWFA had a replacement in the mail as soon as I called and I haven't had a problem since... That was 5'ish years ago.

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    I'm on the list of people waiting for the TC Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor to come back in stock at the discounted price + rebate. The goal is to be able to hit a 12" plate at 500yds, although most shooting will be at 200yds.

Do you care about mil dot adjustment?
    What moa scope base ?
    Spend now save later $200 more today could turn into $500 next month.
    Set up a dope chart
    Work up handloads
    When you hit the 500m steel plate you will wanna
    Try for 700,800 and so on.
    https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupol...e.html?_iv_code=LU-RS-6-18x40-AOT-110816-KIT1

if you aren't married to variable power / fancy reticles, try the SWFA SS fixed power line. its at the top of your budget compared to the others. can be had for around $300 and they do have sales often.

This. I have the Fixed x10 (Tactical) and I've engaged targets out to 1260yds with it, regularly. At $399, a steal. I did have a problem with my first one, but SWFA had a replacement in the mail as soon as I called and I haven't had a problem since... That was 5'ish years ago.

Let me dig into this a little

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

I have this on my 50bmg. A great scope and it can stand up to the 50, so anything else should be fine.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    The fixed swfa is a great scope for the money. If you ever intend to hunt with it I would recommend the diamondback hp I have one mounted on my spr right now and I have shot it at 600 yds with no problems and that's with the 3-12x version.

Thanks guys (and gals) for the overwhelming agreement on what I should get. It is a little higher than I want, but when almost everyone replies with the same scope- I'll spend the money. How many grilles did I go through before finally ending up with a Weber???

Thanks again,
    Kyle/Squaregrouper

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Thanks guys (and gals) for the overwhelming agreement on what I should get. It is a little higher than I want, but when almost everyone replies with the same scope- I'll spend the money. How many grilles did I go through before finally ending up with a Weber???

Thanks again,
    Kyle/Squaregrouper

I personally don't think you'll regret that decision. Look on Gun Broker for used. Maybe you can save a few dollars.

Congrats!

TOWcritter

Self Sufficent Sovereign
    Why do you need a scope to shoot 500 yard targets? I qualified with an M-16 and hit 10 for 10 @ 500 yards with iron sights.....all center mass...which is about 12" X 12" on a 20" X 40" sillouette, at 18 years old....it's all in the training you receive. Sure scopes are nice...but if you drop the rifle or the batteries die...you SOL......get the basics down first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom