• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    2: If you ask me, it's just as plausible as 99% of the tinfoil hat BS I see posted on a regular basis. Think about it? DA posts his (mock) indignation about Cresap being closed for an undetermined length of time, etc. Uses FB page and Cresap website as a red herring to cover his tracks while he wires the range for wide range surveillance. Not that far-fetched, really. :innocent0
    What you did there, I see it. :D

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Wouldn't surprise me if it is issues with the pistol side of things. The berms there were pretty iffy last time I was up there (a few weeks ago) with lots of sand falling down behind the target holders with each shot. The property line doglegs on that side of the range, so ricochets or even people shooting over the target would head towards the Frederick Police range due to the layout of the police range (someone wasn't super smart when they laid out the range designs of those two).

I'm just upset that I didn't get to shoot my Savage 1907 with a new spring in it this weekend down in WV like I wanted to. Just got too caught up in family stuff to get some time to myself. Looks like I'll have to wait until they reopen, or drive on out to one of the WMA ranges.

Jun 1, 2017
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but I had a tangential question. Why are there so few public outdoor ranges in the MD/NoVA area? The ones that do exist don't allow you to use them unless you join a club and pay a full year's dues. Do the states/communities make it extremely hard to open one? Or is the demand just that low? It's hard for me to believe everyone prefers to shoot indoors.

Cresap is the only one I've found, but as this thread discusses, it's closed for renovations.

I only started shooting pretty recently, and it's kinda depressing always doing it indoors. I've been watching Hickock45, plinkster22, etc videos on youtube and it seems like SO much more fun.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Check out the Hap Baker range if you're not too far from Carrol County. There are also public outdoor ranges in Green Ridge, Elk Neck, Myrtle Grove, and Savage River. Google the Maryland DNR website to get a more complete list.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Catmj

Nov 6, 2015
    Baltimore County
    I've been very frustrated the past few years looking for a decent outdoor place to shoot rifles in this area too. Cresap is the best that I have found that doesn't require a membership, other than some friends that let me shoot on their property once or twice a year. I hope that Cresap opens back up, SOON!

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    I haven't been to Hap Baker but it's on my radar! Looking at the web site they only have 9 pistol and 10 rifle lanes so am I'm to assume they could be a waiting period to get a spot? CRESAP has 16 pistol & 24 rifle and I've had to wait multiple times. How does Hap Baker do the targets you shoot at? Website isn't clear to me, do they provide & do target changes or do you bring & change your own? Spotting scopes? I might have to make the trip if CRESAP doesn't open soon. On the plus side it is about half way to High Rock Outfitters for me and I'm going back up soon so maybe I'll go by to check it out.

Jun 1, 2017
    Thanks for the feedback. Hap Baker looks like it might be worth a trip.

I haven't been to Hap Baker but it's on my radar! Looking at the web site they only have 9 pistol and 10 rifle lanes so am I'm to assume they could be a waiting period to get a spot?

Their website says they are open 5 days a week, 10am to dusk. I've never been to either, but Cresap's website says they are only open 5 hours a week on Sundays. So that and the fact that they are further off the beaten path might mean they don't get as crowded. Just a guess.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well being a member of MPC next door I can tell you what I know. The Frederick Police Range was getting hit by a lot of lead/jacket splatter from Cresap. So the city shut them down until or if they can fix the problem. As a result MPC has graciously allowed the organized teams who shoot .22 rifle there, being the DeMolay and the Cresap Junior Rifle Team, to shoot at our range until the issue is resolved. Other than that I don't know the status of the problem.

tmd99

Aug 22, 2015
    Frederick
    Attorney for Cresap interview link below describing what is happening from the club's perspective. The club has been attempting to resolve any concerns with the city for two months and was hopeful the two could work together. Unfortunately, this has not been the case and has forced litigation in this matter. The club wil not have any comments until the litigation is concluded but regrets any inconvience to the public in accessing the range. Keep an eye on Cresap's webpage for any updates on opening back up.

https://player.fm/series/mid-maryland-live/the-cresap-rifle-club

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Attorney for Cresap interview link below describing what is happening from the club's perspective. The club has been attempting to resolve any concerns with the city for two months and was hopeful the two could work together. Unfortunately, this has not been the case and has forced litigation in this matter. The club wil not have any comments until the litigation is concluded but regrets any inconvience to the public in accessing the range. Keep an eye on Cresap's webpage for any updates on opening back up.

https://player.fm/series/mid-maryland-live/the-cresap-rifle-club

Thats interesting. Thanks for posting it.

sailor

Sep 20, 2007
    Lead abatement should not be an issue. You can call companies that will tear down your berms, remove the lead, and rebuild the berm. They do it for free, and then pay you a reduced price for the lead they remove.
    Building berms is not difficult. NRA & the Military publish standards. There are standards for the City range. Cresap could use these standards in making repairs.
    Noise complaints are real, the local community has made complaints in the past. However, I heard one complaint of “Automatic Fire.” The man complaining also mentioned “whistles blowing” when the automatic fire was occurring. Cresap does not allow rapid fire. Cresap and MPC do not allow full auto. The Police range DOES use whistles to run their line, and they DO use full auto.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016

Thanks for posting that link. It's nice to finally know the exact reasons behind Cresap's closure: essentially a pissing-contest between the city and the club that has operated the range for the last 90 years. Nice.

I don't use Cresap all that often. I don't particularly like it. The rifle benches are some of the most uncomfortable I've ever attempted to contort my ass into and the cover over the pistol range all but eliminates the ability to see three-dot sights of any kind. That said, Cresap is a nice and (mostly) safe place to sling a couple of boxes of ammo downrange cheaply on a Sunday afternoon. It deserves the Frederick shooting community's support. I genuinely hope someone posts a list of the asshats in City Hall behind this BS so I know who to vote against the next time around.

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown
    Was up in Frederick today and just drove by and it looked like nobody had been there in awhile. Some tree limbs down in the member drive way gate area. Weeds are getting out of control! I'd be surprised if they ever open again with what that news article said. Really sounds like the city wants them out and couldn't wait until the lease was up!

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Was up in Frederick today and just drove by and it looked like nobody had been there in awhile. Some tree limbs down in the member drive way gate area. Weeds are getting out of control! I'd be surprised if they ever open again with what that news article said. Really sounds like the city wants them out and couldn't wait until the lease was up!

My guess is the city wants to expand their own range. MPC should be wary if they do.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom