• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    For all you that are considering a new stick thrower.
    Post up what and why. Tis' the season for new bows.
    My chance of a new one was KIA when got a new truck. But ,I'm not complaining. I will live vicariously threw you though.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I personally think bows and crossbows have hit the proverbial wall very similar to the smart phone. What more do you get for the upgrade?

Once they got to 80% let off and 350fps there is not much left hardly to improve except lighter risers and other hooks to make you think its going to kill deer better. They need a new design, similar to above, but then its heresy to the bow hunting world.

Presumptuous

Awesome Member
    Aug 17, 2016
    Suburbia
    My wife has been using her olympic-style recurve for a while now. Maybe 2018 will be the year I convince her to give a compound a try. I'll need to find her something with a super-adjustable draw strength, and a pretty short draw length. It'd be nice to have a hunting partner.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    My wife has been using her olympic-style recurve for a while now. Maybe 2018 will be the year I convince her to give a compound a try. I'll need to find her something with a super-adjustable draw strength, and a pretty short draw length. It'd be nice to have a hunting partner.

Mathews is offering a couple of nice woman's model in 2018.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Many of the youth models made for younger boys fit women very well. My 20 year old daughter went with a Hoyt Ignight. Its very adjustable from 19" - 30" and 15# to 70#. This would be good for almost all women and many men that are not very long armed.

She might be good with a recurve but I bet she probably is not drawing enough weight to be very effective hunting. A lot of women would really struggle shooting a 45# bear style recurve. The let off on compounds is very beneficial for women hunters.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Hickory Creek Vertical Mini Cross Bow with 3 shots at 20 yards. Came already sighted in. One key feature; the bolt (arrow) does not rub the entire length like a horizontal bow so there is less friction. The last two bolts in the pic below are touching each other. That happened in two groups that I shot.

Attachments

• 20171214_193926.jpg
      20171214_193926.jpg
      90.2 KB · Views: 259
    • 20171214_193854.jpg
      20171214_193854.jpg
      98.1 KB · Views: 252
    • 20171215_165834.jpg
      20171215_165834.jpg
      105.6 KB · Views: 266

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The arrow is suspended by the brushes on the Hickory Creek vertical crossbow. And as a final note, this thing has a crisp 4# trigger pull.

Attachments

• 20171216_164431.jpg
      20171216_164431.jpg
      53.4 KB · Views: 243

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I apologize for not reading the title more carefully; "COMPOUND bow thread", and then posting crossbow pics.

So for a compound bow; my son uses a Diamond Infinite Edge Compound bow which he is happy with. He tells me that I take all the challenge out of archery by using a crossbow with a scope.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I apologize for not reading the title more carefully; "COMPOUND bow thread", and then posting crossbow pics.

So for a compound bow; my son uses a Diamond Infinite Edge Compound bow which he is happy with. He tells me that I take all the challenge out of archery by using a crossbow with a scope.

I was letting it slide ;)
    It is cool.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I think I'm gonna hang on to my Switch Back. Couple more years at least.

I just got my S2 broken in good. It is all the bow that I will ever need.

Me too, really. But some have to have the latest thing. The performance is flatlined I think. If you have a 10+ year old bow, you could be missing out on better/current technology.

CombatAK

Hooligan #12
    Sep 1, 2015
    Cresaptown
    I agree about better and updated technology. My school of thought though is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Some would argue that the Mathews Switchback is probably one of the best designed compound bows ever. I think it all boils down to what is comfortable for the shooter. Compound bows have to fit the shooter. If I have a $3,000.00 bow that doesn't fit me, then I won't be accurate with it. If I find a $150.00 bow that I found on Fleabay and it fits me perfectly, then I will be pretty darned happy with it. This is just my .02. Whatever you decide to get, I would suggest that the bow be fitted to the shooter. Also, arrow length should be fit to the bow. I am sure that there are a lot of people out there who have Bears, Hoyts, Obsessions, Elites, and Bowtech bows that can out shoot me. I am just giving you my point of view FWIW. I hope you find what you are looking for and the shooter is comfortable and happy with it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Me too, really. But some have to have the latest thing. The performance is flatlined I think. If you have a 10+ year old bow, you could be missing out on better/current technology.

I understand, well, sort of. I never really understand the guys(and I know a few) who have to have the "latest and greatest" bow every year. And I'm not talking about the professional competitive archer. That's a new bow you have to learn every year.

As far as missing out on new technology, the same could be said to a longbow shooter. Personally, I think new bows, for the most part, are just new. Not necessarily better. They are still limited by physics. Sure, they can wring out a couple more feet per second, but that usually comes at a cost.

I've got no problem with this thread either. I'm only explaining my thought processes and reasoning. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom