• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    For anyone that goes to/from DC and uses Beach Drive (i.e., past the National Zoo) it's going to be closed in segments for the next couple of years. Here is a Park service link for the project with maps a little way down the page. It looks like 'segment 3' in orange will begin on 9/19/16. Below I've included an image of that area rotated so North is up. Heads up there are currently TWO SPEED CAMS on Blagden Ave NW, so be careful when going downhill on that road.

https://www.nps.gov/rocr/learn/management/beach-drive-rehabilitation.htm

Const_Segments_NPS_1.jpg

segment3.jpg

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Rock Creek Park is about the only civilized route from Silver Spring to my job in Foggy Bottom. This could force me to seriously consider retirement.

I admit it could really use the paving work, but I wouldn't mind beating up my vehicles a bit longer instead of giving up the route.

monkey

B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Feb 20, 2012
    Monkey County
    Link doesn't work, but hopefully it will be fixed before I return! That whole road was a great emergency route out of the city.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Link doesn't work, but hopefully it will be fixed before I return! That whole road was a great emergency route out of the city.

US Park Service Apology Page

A problem with the website—not with your computer or Internet connection—has occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience. In the meantime, other NPS.gov content may be working well.

Search NPS.gov

Experience Your America National Park Service

Last Updated: 10/1/2014

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Rock Creek Park is about the only civilized route from Silver Spring to my job in Foggy Bottom. This could force me to seriously consider retirement.

I admit it could really use the paving work, but I wouldn't mind beating up my vehicles a bit longer instead of giving up the route.

I feel the same way. I think I can live with the first of these closings. I HATE going in and out via other routes,

Mike

MDS Supporter
    Back at the end of August the segment in RED on this map in the link below opened up again. I drove it a couple of times and it's better than dealing with the street traffic in the city. So now it's possible to avoid downtown by going past the Kennedy Center, past the zoo, and out to 16th St on Piney Branch.

https://www.nps.gov/rocr/learn/management/beach-drive-rehabilitation.htm

edit adding this for convenience
    here is a partial screen shot of the map in the link above
    zoo rd.JPG

Last edited:

MikeofMD

May 14, 2016
    MoCO
    I think that they finished the DC portion but is now moving up to MD. Expect a lot more cyclists! I used to use it to go all the way down to E St, NW. Not a real timesaver but a more pleasant drive.

Mike

MDS Supporter
    I think that they finished the DC portion but is now moving up to MD. Expect a lot more cyclists! I used to use it to go all the way down to E St, NW. Not a real timesaver but a more pleasant drive.

It closes at Tilden at this time, base on reading the USPS page. Unless you want to go up to Connecticut Ave. I think the best bet is to go in and out on Piney Branch to 16th St.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom