• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    I go to select fire. It's closest range for me. I just go in, pay as little attention to counter guy as possible, acknowledge I understand the rules, and go shoot.

+1...
    i go to shoot, not have a picnic with the owner. i havent gotten yelled at like ontarget. "your feet is past the line!!!" OMG never again.

squirrelly1

Sep 10, 2012
    Yeh, I'm not a fan. Arrogant a-holes, pretty sure this is the only job that hasn't fired them yet. I haven't been back after the last episode. And what security system is triggered by cellphones? Smdh!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I have been there once. Walked in started to say hello and ask a question and the dick behind the counter started yelling at me about cell phones. I didn't have mine as it was charging in my car. His attitude caused me to turn around and walk out and never return. My experience seems to be the norm.

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I have been shooting there for years. (Convenience thing)

Never had a problem. I don't go in playing Joe Cool either.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I've never heard of them until a guy at work was complaining about how they are a-holes there.

It's hard to beat The MachineGun Nest. They are pretty cool. The last range officer didn't yell at me but I was hoping she'd give me a spanking at least :)

RossL

Dec 29, 2015
    I've never heard of them until a guy at work was complaining about how they are a-holes there.

It's hard to beat The MachineGun Nest. They are pretty cool. The last range officer didn't yell at me but I was hoping she'd give me a spanking at least :)
    I'm a member at Machinegun Nest and have had nothing but great experience there. They are very professional, the place is clean, and they take good care of their equipment.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Haven't shot in a public indoor range in nearly a decade. Too expensive, too restrictive, frequented by unsafe idiots, get treated like a leper by staff, probably jaded from dealing with unsafe idiots. There are a couple exceptions, and some newer ranges that people seem happy with, but have had enough bad experiences at Select Fire, On Target and Continental that I would rather drive an hour and shoot in the snow at a private range, or at least a laid back outdoor public range.

Jmorrismetal

Sep 27, 2014
    , I explained that I am on call 24/7 and cannot do so, he stated it was their policy, I bid him good day and departed to never return. This was in 2005 or 2006.

Never been there and don't shoot indoors anymore except for a few sanctioned matches everyone and then but they might have upgraded over the last decade.

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    SF is an old but a well thought out range. The lanes are separated by concrete barriers and have shelves for multiple guns and ammo. I was there last weekend for the first time in 6 months and everything went well. The staff seemed in a good mood. They told me you can shoot shotguns again but only lead slugs. That's fine with me. I added a new double and an autoloader to my stash I haven't shot them yet and need to testfire them. Next time I'll ask about shooting AR's
    I shot at On Target ONCE. The lanes there had tiny lane separators and a tiny self that can barely hold one pistol and box of ammo. Hated it!
    SF is very close to me so if I want to shoot and don't have time to go to MSA it's gonna be Select Fire

Never had a problem with On Target. Have always had some appreciation with the guns I've taken in. Even bought a 1903 from them, and a membership because it was convenient and I go often enough that it pays for itself in just a few visits. There's an older guy there, not sure if he's an owner or not, who can be somewhat abrupt but not "unfriendly" per se.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    It's well worth the drive to FreeState. I've been to SF a few times because of it being close and never a wait. (There's a reason for that). I would put up with the BS because it was close but it's just not worth it anymore. No matter how often you go there Wayne will ask if you've ever been there before and "make" you read the rules.

F8L_Funnel

Jan 28, 2013
    Well at least they state "sighting system". I was at Freestate 1 day and guy next to me with his girlfriend, pulled is sparkling-new M4 with flattop out if his cardboard box. load a mag and started squeezing off rounds :gun7: by looking down the flattop. :facepalm: I saw this from the corner of my eye, plus the pretty sparks that where flying of the target track where a bit telling! so myself and the gentleman on the other side politely gave him some pointers, like STOP SHOOTING; followed by friendly advice on proper firearm usage and the importance on LUBE! :blush:

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland
    Years ago, I went to SF on the suggestion from a friend. I didn't have a cell phone with me, but the 1st words out of guy's mouth behind the counter was about having a cell phone. Next, I was chastised for not owning a Sig (a "real gun" per the same guy). Lastly, after shooting 3 mags loaded with 5 rds each at a rate of about 3-4 secs per mag (no double taps), I was told I was shooting too quickly. At that point I packed up, paid my bill, & haven't returned.

Have been shooting at Continental with no issues.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Next, I was chastised for not owning a Sig (a "real gun" per the same guy).

Holy hell - after the grief that they have taken here over the remarks they made to me about that more than a decade ago it's hard to believe that they haven't learned their lesson.

I'm going to go borrow a Lorcin and go up there just to enjoy the show.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    We should make this an event, have someone roll in there with a hidden GoPro, a Glock in a chest holster a cell phone that constantly rings, a Bluetooth headset, a cheesesteak shoved in a Serpa and a revolver with a flashlight duct taped to it. Said person should also speak a foreign language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom