• ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Here we go, Howard County's rules and regulations regarding solicitors:

http://www.howardcountymd.gov/displayprimary.aspx?id=4294967640

I knew they needed to be licensed. However, I just found this gem:

The holder of an ID card shall carry his ID card on his/her person while soliciting or peddling and shall display the ID card to any person who asks to see it. The card holder must leave the premises of a consumer immediately upon request.

One good thing about the freezing cold and snow, have not seen many solicitors for quite a while. Last year, I had a guy wait to talk to me while I was mowing the grass. He was selling magazines. That was an experience that really pissed me off.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Here we go, Howard County's rules and regulations regarding solicitors:

http://www.howardcountymd.gov/displayprimary.aspx?id=4294967640

I knew they needed to be licensed. However, I just found this gem:

The holder of an ID card shall carry his ID card on his/her person while soliciting or peddling and shall display the ID card to any person who asks to see it. The card holder must leave the premises of a consumer immediately upon request.

One good thing about the freezing cold and snow, have not seen many solicitors for quite a while. Last year, I had a guy wait to talk to me while I was mowing the grass. He was selling magazines. That was an experience that really pissed me off.

I have the reg printed out and stored in a drawer near the front door. Sometimes when I feel like it and for the sheer amusement of it I'll answer and start off with "Are you peddling"? Then depending on how things go, I'll s-l-o-w-l-y go over the definition of peddling. Then proceed to ask if they have the peddler ID card etc... For the ones that do not have a card I explain the potential for a $500 fine a 30 days in prison part. Most of the time they just give up and leave long before it gets to the ID card part. Some are visibly angry as they leave. About 1 in 10 actually has a card!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I have the reg printed out and stored in a drawer near the front door. Sometimes when I feel like it and for the sheer amusement of it I'll answer and start off with "Are you peddling"? Then depending on how things go, I'll s-l-o-w-l-y go over the definition of peddling. Then proceed to ask if they have the peddler ID card etc... For the ones that do not have a card I explain the potential for a $500 fine a 30 days in prison part. Most of the time they just give up and leave long before it gets to the ID card part. Some are visibly angry as they leave. About 1 in 10 actually has a card!

No Girl Scout cookies for you!

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    No Girl Scout cookies for you!

I would have to do some checking on the Girl Scouts of the USA but I'd bet they actually fall into one of the exceptions to the HoCo ordinance:

• Charitable or nonprofit associations which register annually with the administrator
    • Organizations who have qualified under the “Code of Ethics” exception
    So I'll dispense with the formalities for the Girl Scouts until I can be absolutely sure they are in violation. :D

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I don't have a problem for some reason.:cool:

005f6d3047d8f45203567ccfab62ef60.jpg

When I lived a home, the Jehovah Witnesses showed up about 0630. Given the fact my dad and I both worked night shifts, I wasn't impressed. We had a border collie mix that I was holding by the collar as he was jumping as high as my shoulder. After several minutes of "discussion" they still weren't getting the message. I literally kicked the screen door latch and let him fly. A couple of minutes later he came back. That was in the late 70s and they still cross the street to avoid my parents house.

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    My doorbell only rings once. If it rings twice, I know it's someone I know. No one else ever sticks around after hearing my 3 dogs "answer" the door.

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    I have a fenced yard with a "Beware of Dog" sign on the gate. When they hear the Bark, they believe. Only guy who came in the gate in the last couple of years got bit.
    Said he would sue. I said go ahead it's posted. Never heard any more.

Attachments

• scooterpose.jpg
      scooterpose.jpg
      68.5 KB · Views: 179

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Hold on a second. I will listen to your pitch and most likely buy something from you, but i need some help first. I need to get something heavy over to the farm field behind you. Let me grab my coat and a shovel and i will meet you at the side gate.
    They never want to stay and help.

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    We get the window/roof guys all the time.

Yesterday, my wife called me about two african american youths who were walking through the neighborhood. One walked up our walkway, causing my two dogs (cocker spaniels - hehe) to go ballistic. He took some sort of note, and then walked away.

I'm not sure if they were casing the joint or just solicitors. I asked if they looked like thugs, and she said, "maybe, but clean thugs, not dirty thugs" SMH.

No pictures were taken and a half hour had gone by between them showing up and my wife calling me, so no cops were called.

-John

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Don't let them in. Let them go through their entire spiel and try to look interested. When they get to the end and try to close the deal, tell them, "No thanks, I just wanted to waste as much of your time as possible so that you would not be harassing my neighbors!". They don't come back.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    My usual response, open door, say piss off, close door. If I'm feeling lazy and one of the grandkids is around I'll have them handle the door part so I don't have to get up to tell them to piss off.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My sister got a solicitor at her apartment in Wilmington once. It was a guy casing for signatures for a death penalty repeal in Delaware. She let him give his whole speech then declared that she'd rather see it used then continue to pay to keep those kind of monsters alive in jail. Well that obviously offended this gentleman who boldly declared "So you are in favor of the death penalty?". Damn right *slam*

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    We had a pair of solicitors here at work today. I couldn't quite make out what they had to sell, but I think it was energy something or other - probably a broker.

They asked to see the boss, so I pointed out to them that the lights were off, did they think the boss was in? Then they asked when he is in, I said, "I dunno." They asked his name, and poof, "Have a good day, gentlemen." plus door closed :D

They're brazen here in Bethesda - if they haven't taken the time to at least Google our company name and find out who the owner is, I don't give 'em the time of day.

Once, a tall, leggy blonde just walked right in - our outside door hadn't been pushed all the way shut so it could latch, and tried to sell us something.

-John

DraKhen99

Professional Heckler
    Sep 30, 2013
    The best was at a company I worked for about 13 years ago ...

Every once in a while, a group of guys would lug these big boxes of art prints into our lobby, and the receptionist never liked talking to them, so she'd call me to shoo them away (I was known as the go-to guy to get rid of solicitors). They'd always say they were from the 6th floor or whatever and had just done a renovation (lies, we knew all the reno work going on), and had some extra prints for sale.

One year, it was almost Christmas time, and they showed up. I actually spent the time looking through the prints, found one I thought my mom would like, haggled them down on the price, bought it, and then unceremoniously told them they had to leave, we don't allow solicitors to walk our halls :D

-John

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    They're brazen here in Bethesda - if they haven't taken the time to at least Google our company name and find out who the owner is, I don't give 'em the time of day.
    I once worked for a man that had a difficult to pronounce (if you hadn't heard it) name. We were told, if they can't say my name correctly, I don't want to talk to them either in person or on the phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom