Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Bofors Quad

PowerTool.jpg

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If you read some cruising sailboat forums, the consensus is that guns on board are a bad idea.

The rationale is that most boat raiding criminals are desperate and not blood thirsty killers. They want to "get by", and do so by liberating your property and leaving you more or less alone. (This is NOT applicable in Somalia, as they are professional pirates. Cruisers just stay away from that area. )

Shooting at them pisses them off, makes them mad, and more likely to then kill you.

In a sailboat you cannot outrun their powered boats.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    When my wife's grandfather would go overnight fishing (40 ft boat) in the Gulf of Mexico with his buddy, they would take 2 rifles (AR15's) and 2 pistols (1911's). They used 20 rd mags in the rifles for stowability and access. They were both avid hunters and fishermen. Their last trip was around 1999, so I have no idea the issues you would run into today doing this.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I just use a large magnet on the end of my fishing line and usually have good results.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    Since we are talking about firearms and boats, what are the legal limits on guns on boats? I know that navel vessels have requirements for advance notification before making foreign port calls ( since they are fully armed) I have always been amazed that oil tankers have virtually no defenses and are routinely ransomed off the coast of countries like Somalia by pirates in small boats. Where is the distinguishing feature between a military vessel and a commercial vessel with arms aboard? is it a mounting system?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Every jurisdiction could be different. Offshore in Maryland it would likely be the US Coast Guard that has jurisdiction. Maryland inland waterways would probably be DNR. The Potomac between Maryland Virginia would be Maryland jurisdiction...off DC it would be DC jurisdiction. Other states might be similar with confusing jurisdictional lines. It could be very easy to run afoul of some state or federal laws unintentionally.

As far as ocean-going ships and commercial trade are concerned it might insurance regulations or by international agreements...or simply company policies.

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    In the US if you have a head, ability to cook and sleeping area (v berth,cabin etc.) The same laws that pertain to your house apply to your boat.
    If going into foreign waters most country's look very unfavorably about having firearms aboard. Research the country's laws or you could end up in the slammer. Not a good day.... This is why a lot of commercial vessels have no guns aboard but instead rely on a trained professional armed guards that are brought to the boat while in dangerous waters.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'd have a weapon on my boat. An AR10 and a shotty. I would also have the best built in hidden spot for them that would make a cartel drug runner jealous.

Taking firearms into a port in a different country is a no go. Hell, Federal Agents have to get country clearance permission and send serial numbers of weapons and round counts of ammo at least 45 days prior to going to that country. A Skipper just can't belly into port with them on vacation.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I'd have a weapon on my boat. An AR10 and a shotty. I would also have the best built in hidden spot for them that would make a cartel drug runner jealous.

Taking firearms into a port in a different country is a no go. Hell, Federal Agents have to get country clearance permission and send serial numbers of weapons and round counts of ammo at least 45 days prior to going to that country. A Skipper just can't belly into port with them on vacation.

Careful. My understanding is that in Florida jurisdiction waters, a concealed compartment on a boat is a crime in and of itself.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    A lot of commercial vessels have no guns aboard but instead rely on a trained professional armed guards that are brought to the boat while in dangerous waters.

I assume the saving grace is the armed professionals are registered in the country who's territorial waters are being transited. Yes?

DivingDriver

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 14, 2016
    Nanjemoy MD
    They actually work off of a mother ship that is just outside of the territorial waters. When needed they are transported to the ship that needs protection. After seeing the ship thru the conflict area there are transported back to the mother ship to wait for the next assignment. They work so many weeks then take off for a period of time and repeat. From what I understand, as a contractor they make good money.

Juche90

May 10, 2014

The US Flag Ocean Atlas has issues a few years back (2012) in Venezuela because of their small arms locker (couple M1A, few M9, few 12 gauge).

https://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2012/120906-ocean-atlas-seizure.htm

The Seaman Guard Ohio was seized by Indian authorities in 2013. That vessel was chartered by an outfit out of Virginia.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/india-seizes-us-maritime-security-ship-1381772377

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I assume the saving grace is the armed professionals are registered in the country who's territorial waters are being transited. Yes?
    A lot of guns go overboard, but then they source them from that Port country, something like that. Sounds ridiculous. It was explained to me but I forgot exactly.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    They actually work off of a mother ship that is just outside of the territorial waters. When needed they are transported to the ship that needs protection. After seeing the ship thru the conflict area there are transported back to the mother ship to wait for the next assignment. They work so many weeks then take off for a period of time and repeat. From what I understand, as a contractor they make good money.

I would suspect a mother ship at each end of the normally traveled route. So one just north of Somalia and one just south.

Pick up at one end, drop off at the other. Ship going the other way does the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom