• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    It's a another threat on the old debate - .357 vs .38.

We all know that it takes time for the .357s extra powder to burn, meaning that short 1 7/8" or 2" barrels don't allow .357s to get proper magnum velocity. Besides, shooting .357s out of teeny weenie guns isn't much fun anyway, especially guns made out of stuff that ends in -ium. In contrast, .357 is a fantastic defensive round out of a 6" or 8 3/8" inch barrel.

So, here's the question: in your opinion, what's the shortest barrel that allows .357s to burn enough powder to give a big advantage over .38 special?

I'm not just talking about a dozen extra feet per second, but enough extra velocity that the extra recoil, higher chamber pressure, and cost is worth it.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    4" barrels are the minimum I'd go for shooting .357 Magnum loads. I use .38 Special +p out of my Ruger SP101. And if I had the money, I'd get a 4" 610, but the 6.5" 610 I have now is sufficient.

Jim

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'd say a 4" barrel would probably do it. I've got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 with a 4 and 5/8th inch barrel and I know my Dad did a fair amount of jack rabbit shooting with that gun. He was not prone to using light loads - in fact, he once told me that there was a time in his life when the harder it kicked, the better he liked it. Having said that, the Blackhawk is a pretty hefty piece even with the 4 and 5/8ths barrel.

I think that unless you are trying to conceal it, anything shorter than 4" barrel is too short anyway - just an opinion of course.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My Ruger SP101 with the 3" barrel is bearable with full power .357 Magnum loads. I've shot the heavier 154gr ammo out of it, and decided that something a little lighter is called for. Plus my groups were printing about 4" high at 7 yards with that combo. With 125gr ammo, the sights are dead on.

Jim

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    2 inch .357 has a huge advantage over the .38
    I guess I don't understand the question. No matter the barrel length the .357 has a huge advantage due to the additional pressure it can withstand.
    Are you asking what the ideal barrel length for a .357 to get a full powder burn?
    That would depend on the powder.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I'm not a big reloader, but I have a 4" model 19 and a 6.5" Taurus 608. For me, the 4" looses accuracy with 357 over 38's. The 6.5" actually groups better with factory 357 over 38.

I'd say 6" to take full advantage of 357, for accuracy.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I'm a big fan of .357 mag with a 4" barrel, have owned a few, my current is a GP100. If I was to go longer I would go with a rifle, come to think of it I really want a lever action .357

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm a big fan of .357 mag with a 4" barrel, have owned a few, my current is a GP100. If I was to go longer I would go with a rifle, come to think of it I really want a lever action .357
    Do it! A Winchester Model 1892 would be sweet, but you could probably survive with the Rossi copy. :)

EDIT - Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that Winchester ever made the 1892 in .357, but I know that Rossi does.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Back in the day, Smith&Wesson (I'm almost certain) did a study to determine what the optimum barrel length would be in a revolver that would generate the maximum velocity with the .357 Magnum cartridge loadings of the day. After testing various barrel lengths, it was determined the 8.375" barrel gave the best results. Anything less in length and the bullet didn't generate it's maximum potential velocity and anything longer would have the bullet slowing down in the bore before exiting the muzzle. Bear in mind, the aforementioned was determined way back in the day with the older loads available in that caliber. Nowadays, I'm sure with the numerous advanced various bullet types, weights, and powders, that all may have changed.

As far as barrel lengths go, if comparing .38 special to .357 magnum with the same bullet in the same barrel length whatever it may be (within reason), the .357 magnum will out perform the .38 special in velocity and subsequently, energy.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I think the question may be a practicality based thought. As Lou stated, long tubes are magnum friendly, allowing the cartidge to reach full potential. However, carrying, handling, and shootability in conjunction with adequate power become considerations.

The 357 is a smaller diameter 44 Magnum. Grizzly has indicated 2 and 2.5 inch barrels rob the big cartridges of their primary advantage, velocity and power. For practical portability and power considerations, the 4" 357 has been a favorite of shooters and LE for a good period of time, only losing favor to the desire for auto pistol/cartidges. Those pistol cartridges typically were built tiwards the 4" 357 load parameters.

The 125 grain 357 full power rounds were actually developed around the 4" barrelength of the revolver.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Based on the lengths I posted above:

A Corbon 125gr. JHP .357 magnum exits a 2" barrel at 904 fps.
    A Corbon 125gr. JHP .38 special exits a 2" barrel at 723 fps.

A Corbon 125gr. JHP .357 magnum exits a 3" barrel at 1257 fps.
    A Corbon 125gr. JHP .38 special exits a 3" barrel at 854 fps.

A Corbon 125gr. JHP .357 magnum exits a 4" barrel at 1496 fps.
    A Corbon 125gr. JHP .38 special exits a 4" barrel at 996 fps.

A Corbon 125gr. JHP .357 magnum exits a 5" barrel at 1614 fps.
    A Corbon 125gr. JHP .38 special exits a 5" barrel at 1045 fps.

There are a variety of other loads, weapons, calibers, and barrel lengths (up to an 18" barrel) to compare on that site. Choose along the bottom.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    My wife has a 3" S&W .357, now she wants a 6" version. How can you go wrong with a woman like this? And please stop laughing, I am talking about GUN barrel length.......

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Do it! A Winchester Model 1892 would be sweet, but you could probably survive with the Rossi copy. :)

EDIT - Now that I think about it, I'm not sure that Winchester ever made the 1892 in .357, but I know that Rossi does.

They have a 92 and 94 in .357:thumbsup:

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Just to clarify, I do indeed have a .357 with a 4" barrel, but I've wanted an 8 3/8 inch Model 27 from the moment that I learned about it. That extra-long barrel has always made a lot of sense to me, based on what I know about ballistics.

There's a lot of talk of "length," inches," and "magnums" in this thread, so I may need to post a NSFW warning if we decide to "measure our guns."

In related news, Freud now spins in his grave at over 25,000 RPM.

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville

The 357 will always give higher vel than 38 spcl for any specific barrel length. You have to decide for yourself if the increased muzzle flash, recoil, and potential difficulty in f/u shots is worth the increase in velocity in short barrel revolvers. For me, the answer is generally no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom