• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Feb 17, 2009
    So I went back and found this on the application next to occupation. Dohh.
    Screenshot_20211221-081726_Firefox.jpg

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think the 7 days can only start over if the 77r is actually DISAPPROVED. A late Disapproval is a mess because they want you to return the gun if you have taken possession.

ETA: I had a 77r disapproved once because the FFL put an extra letter in the firearm model and it became a model not on the roster, fortunately I had not taken possession.

There is no "start over" for the 7 days. It begins when the 77R is submitted, it ends on Day 7 per state statute. Anything else is a violation of state statute.

FFL are permitted to release a firearm on the 8th day without an reply back from MSP according state statute, and according to a federal lawsuit brought in 2013 against MSP, in which they advised that dealers could indeed do so under state statute.

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    There is no "start over" for the 7 days. It begins when the 77R is submitted, it ends on Day 7 per state statute. Anything else is a violation of state statute.

FFL are permitted to release a firearm on the 8th day without an reply back from MSP according state statute, and according to a federal lawsuit brought in 2013 against MSP, in which they advised that dealers could indeed do so under state statute.

After my 77r was updated with an MDSP approved profession the date that it was submitted changed to that day. I'm guessing because it shows a later date for the submittal and that's why they hold it over the 7 days. I
    t didn't seem right to me that there was no profession that was a disqualifier for ownership but if you don't phrase it an approved way then you are basically disapproved temporarily.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    After my 77r was updated with an MDSP approved profession the date that it was submitted changed to that day. I'm guessing because it shows a later date for the submittal and that's why they hold it over the 7 days. I
    t didn't seem right to me that there was no profession that was a disqualifier for ownership but if you don't phrase it an approved way then you are basically disapproved temporarily.

So, a new way for administrative over reach.....Just like MSP.

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    Originally MDSP told me only the ffl could submit the change but my FFL seemed to disagree. Called back this morning and begged, the new person helped me out. They want the information updated but you can't do it yourself online. Plus they don't let the dealer know until about pickup date. I just don't understand how it can delay the pickup date if there is no answer that disapproves you. I wish they would they just called you and let you correct the answers and granted not disapproved.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Originally MDSP told me only the ffl could submit the change but my FFL seemed to disagree. Called back this morning and begged, the new person helped me out. They want the information updated but you can't do it yourself online. Plus they don't let the dealer know until about pickup date. I just don't understand how it can delay the pickup date if there is no answer that disapproves you. I wish they would they just called you and let you correct the answers and granted not disapproved.

It doesn't. Under state statute, if the FFL doesn't receive a reply from MSP, then on the 8th day, they can release the firearm without issue to the buyer. If your FFL won't do that, then find a new FFL

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    So if a 77 is submitted on day "1",

On day "5" the MSP decides there is a field that need clarification (Occupation),
    And does not notify the buyer or FFL via email, but does leave a note in the portal.

On day "8" the note is found by the buyer after logging in the portal looking for the missing "not disapproved notice"
    The buyer or FFL update the field.
    The original submittal entry disappears in the portal, a new submittle entry appears with day "8"s date as the submission date.

So, What is the legal release date of the firearm to the buyer? Day "16" ?

It doesn't. Under state statute, if the FFL doesn't receive a reply from MSP, then on the 8th day, they can release the firearm without issue to the buyer. If your FFL won't do that, then find a new FFL

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    I called, putting self employed is not an acceptable career on the app. Had to resubmit, gun shop said I should have gotten an email from msp, which I didn't. I hate this state.
    I had the same thing happen to me and it's driving me crazy. I hate that I put an occupation but it wasn't descriptive enjoy so now I have to keep waiting.:mad54:
    I have put "self employed" on every 77R, but last week I did not get my "Not Disapproved" email on the 8th day.
    Turns out "self employed" is no longer a noble occupation with the MSP.
    In fact, it is so low of an occupation that that don't bother to email you that there was an issue.
    We've been seeing a lot of this recently. Customers who have bought lots of guns over the years are now getting their apps sent back because of occupation. It's not something we see when submitting the app, but we can update it on our end or have msp update it.

I have no idea why an occupation is any of their business or why it matters if you have a job or not.

Once the app is sent back, it's not processing any longer. It's in the pool, just like after the 77r had been created.

I think everyone should put "none of your fvcking business" as a response to occupation.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

ArmedInMd

Jun 9, 2008
    I think everyone should put "none of your fvcking business" as a response to occupation.

I feel the same way and am tempted but only on stuff I'm willing to wait the 16 days for :lol2:
    Was also wondering if there would be legal stuff to deal with for that response.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So if a 77 is submitted on day "1",

On day "5" the MSP decides there is a field that need clarification (Occupation),
    And does not notify the buyer or FFL via email, but does leave a note in the portal.

On day "8" the note is found by the buyer after logging in the portal looking for the missing "not disapproved notice"
    The buyer or FFL update the field.
    The original submittal entry disappears in the portal, a new submittle entry appears with day "8"s date as the submission date.

So, What is the legal release date of the firearm to the buyer? Day "16" ?

Per state statute, it's still day 8.

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    The whole thing just strikes me as a slippery slope. I'm thinking of a few departments in New Jersey that went so far as to start requiring credit checks on people who applied for a permit to purchase a firearm in their system. I believe that got stopped but it took someone to get a lawyer first. The purpose of the 77R application is to determine whether or not a person is legally eligible to own a regulated firearm. There's absolutely no statutory authority that I can think of to require someone to disclose their occupation since obviously occupation is not one of the requirements.

Perhaps they are expecting someone to put occupation: Felon. Lol . Beyond that I can't see why they'd ask. Slippery slope indeed, I wonder what they'll ask next.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    The whole thing just strikes me as a slippery slope. I'm thinking of a few departments in New Jersey that went so far as to start requiring credit checks on people who applied for a permit to purchase a firearm in their system. I believe that got stopped but it took someone to get a lawyer first. The purpose of the 77R application is to determine whether or not a person is legally eligible to own a regulated firearm. There's absolutely no statutory authority that I can think of to require someone to disclose their occupation since obviously occupation is not one of the requirements.

Exactly. None of the state's f'ing business

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Perhaps they are expecting someone to put occupation: Felon. Lol . Beyond that I can't see why they'd ask. Slippery slope indeed, I wonder what they'll ask next.

I'm sure it will be something like "what's your favorite color", you'll answer truthfully, and the response will be "that is not an acceptable color." Ironically, it has the same relevance to a 77r as occupation.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    So at this point,, the 8 days starts over??

We've been seeing a lot of this recently. Customers who have bought lots of guns over the years are now getting their apps sent back because of occupation. It's not something we see when submitting the app, but we can update it on our end or have msp update it.

I have no idea why an occupation is any of their business or why it matters if you have a job or not.

Once the app is sent back, it's not processing any longer. It's in the pool, just like after the 77r had been created.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom