• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    What can we do to get you to buy our in stock handguns? We know everyone stocked up last year, some don't want to get the HQL.

Need a lower price? We'll give you a better price. (We aren't going out of business and we aren't taking 50% off)

Need reading glasses for the 77r forms? We have some you can borrow.

Need us to accept cash because your credit cards are maxed? We can do that.

Need some free Frog Lube with your purchase? We can work that out.

Or a free Glock hat with Glock pistol purchase? While we have them in stock we can do that.

Serious post, what can we do to get you guys to buy some handguns?

Thanks
    Dan

gc27

Aug 5, 2014
    Calvert County
    Maybe give a free box of whatever caliber the handgun is. Just 50 rounds for the buyer to try it out while they wait for their online order or whatever. Maybe an extra mag or like 5-10% off your next long gun. $50 in-store credit? But yeah...I'm not getting an HQL even though i dont have to take the class. Im not going to give into the irrational laws set forth by our state government. :party29:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    soliciting feedback and input is the right step. marketing whiz at a prior company had a super simple marketing plan - have a good product, make it easy to buy, tell people about it. are you doing all of these? just checked out your website and don't see an inventory of what you have and the prices. if I have to visit your store, call, email or the like to see what you have and the prices, that isn't as 'easy' as clicking on it on your website. especially if you're like a smattering of gun stores that either don't return emails or take a long time to do so.

I live in VA and frankly you're out of state and too far away for me, just trying to give you some ideas in the hopes you can pick up your biz.

RRHemi

Mar 1, 2013
    Annapolis, MD
    If I owned a gun store I would have everything needed to help folks get an HQL. I was once opposed but know I will need to get one in order to buy more handguns. Make it as easy as possible for customers to get an HQL.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Occaisional post of new inventory here on MDS would be my suggestion, an occaisional picture of any outstandingly good lookers

Also posting any price reductions of clunkers that are not moving, everyone loves a sale price. Often getting people in the door is the key to multiple sales

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    You already nailed it in your first sentence. I got my fill of handguns pre-Oct, and haven't gotten an HQL yet. In fact I probably need to sell a few handguns I decided I don't like.

Eventually I will come out of retirement for a great price on a Glock LEO trade-in, or CZ P-07 (both 9mm). As much as I hate to admit it, I only need so many handguns and desire on my part is the only thing that will get me buying again.

Now if you had .22 in stock regularly, that'd get me into the shop at least... :D

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    a box of ammo isn't a bad idea, but unless its a .22lr handgun finding ammo isn't bad at all at reasonable prices.

Im looking to pick up a NIB G19 as my first handgun (an M&P 9 is also a possibility, if I can get a better deal as i will probably own both at some point), however if that shows up before I get married in October the future misses won't appreciate me spending 10% of our honeymoon cost on a firearm.

Mind you i live in waldorf, but the soon to be wife's parents are in fallston so its not a bad trip over to your shop (~40 min) from there, as i am up there at least once a month, often more.

If you could get me a sweet discount on jewlry for the misses i think that would be a big help for me. our current agreement is i get guns she gets jewlry, (so far I am losing that battle, thank you engagement ring) That would be enough of an excuse to head over there durring family time or she might even want to go. Although... thats dangerous as i'd have to make 2 trips for a handgun :P

also im in the market of getting a quick access pistol safe, something like the fort knox pistol box, idk if you have a line on that or have a friendly business you know that can discount that as well i'd be interested.

I think for other people, if they don't already have their HQL the fingerprinting is inconvienient to say the least, and a big turn off. a $100 minimum tax for the privilage of buying handguns in the wonderful state of md is rediculous so for first timers like me it ads 100 bucks to the price of the gun (thank god i don't have to do the training).

also for us handgun novices, the whole gun bore lock deal... there has to be a way to help that out.

I feel like there are a lot of potential first handgun buyers, however most of us are not fully prepared (money, knowledge of the laws, how-to buy start to finish in maryland, home life).

I mean, i was at a gun shop with my brother back home in VT and he just walked in showed ID forked over cash and walked out of the store with a glock in his pocket. seriously not even 30 min with the NICS check.

I know you can't do anything about MD and what the great overlords have required of us. but anything to make the process easier. I know a lot of people my age (younger than 28) need someone to hold their hands to do anything. Granted, these are not necessarily the people who need someone putting a gun in their hand and sending them off into the world.

But most intereseted younger folks (like myself a year ago) may be first generation gun owners and quite honestly not know anything about buying/owning/maintaining/cleaning any gun, nevermind a handgun.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand i dragged that on but hope it helps

Z_Man

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2014
    Harford County
    soliciting feedback and input is the right step. marketing whiz at a prior company had a super simple marketing plan - have a good product, make it easy to buy, tell people about it. are you doing all of these? just checked out your website and don't see an inventory of what you have and the prices. if I have to visit your store, call, email or the like to see what you have and the prices, that isn't as 'easy' as clicking on it on your website. .

i second the inventory.

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I think you're in a tough spot because you're a pawn shop. I certainly don't speak for a majority here, but it wouldn't even occur to me to go to a pawn shop for new merchandise. I'm not trying to be rude, that's just my impression.

That said, there's three categories that get me through the door. Those are service, selection and price. Which of those three can you do better than anyone else in the area? Selection will be hard because frankly you're competing with the internet and the market for hard to find handguns is the specialty of the net or a few "authorized dealer" shops.

To me means you need to compete on price or service. I'll pay an IP about 10% more than I would to buy, ship and transfer a common gun from online. That's not likely to be a big profit for you though.

As for service, can you be the guy that REALLY knows these guns? Do you have a certified armorer on staff that can correctly install some night sights?

Just my thoughts, worth what you paid for them.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Try to stock some C&R handguns. That's all I'm interested in now because as of now I refuse to get the f---ed up HQL.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Wish I could buy another, but yep, bought all I needed last year. As was mentioned, if you had some C&R stuff I'd look closer. Good luck!

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    I agree with the "post up some pix and prices" ideas. Prices seem to be all over the place but are coming down after last year to "normal ?". If it is really a "sale price" then advertise it, if it isn't then consider making it one.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    you havent posted on facebook since July. social media is an amazing tool. your followers are your target audience, and they are waiting for inventory, specials, sales ect.

a giveaway on one or two mosins or lowers could double or triple the amount of followers you have.

Whitey

Collector and involved.
    Apr 5, 2014
    Central MD
    First of all, I have recently bought from Dan and BBP and they are very great to deal with. As what a few others have said, I did not expect new gun inventory from a pawn shop. I must admit I've driven past the shop thousands of times before coming in. The only reason I knew they what I might be looking for is that Dan posted it on this forum. Truth be told they have a nice selection of stuff and are open most days of the week.

I believe the main issue with selling handguns in MD right now is people not having an HQL. I was completely against getting one out of protest to the BS that it represents. I finally realized that there was one particular item I've been looking for for a while and would kick myself if I missed the opportunity just because I didn't have the HQL. The fingerprint people are at the gun shows. I used FYI out of Columbia http://www.fyifingerprints.com/ simply because they were at the show. My advice is to get people connected with and educated with the process of getting the HQL. If your main goal is to sell new guns I think that is the first step. Also, buy Dan's guns!!!

-Whitey

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Consider posting your inventory sir! Seriously! It amazes me how few IP's do this. Something that simple is a huge differentiator! If ever local shops needed differentiators in this state especially, it is now.

Yes it's work. Yes it's something else to have to do. But it's worth doing. Maybe pay a high school kid to do what they'd be doing anyway.

Many on this forum especially already know what they want to buy, or at least want to check out with designs on buying. It's simply a matter of where they're going to go to find it. What they don't want to do is spend windshield time visiting shops that may (or may not) have the item in question.

The web presents tough competition for local brick and mortar shops, and it's easy to know what they have available. But that's only half the battle. To me, a web link doesn't allow one to inspect a gun, or check balance or fit or finish, or conduct any of the other checks I'm going to want to make before I lay my money down. And I'll pay you more for the opportunity to put my hands and my eyes on what I wish to buy. There' a problem though when it comes to your shop. I don't know what you have. And in all honesty, I'm not inclined to want to pursue mights or maybes when looking for product I'm interested in.

Easy is good. Make use of a very basic tool that makes easy possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom