• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I wouldn't ask any recommendations at this point.

Go to a good gun shop (check the industry partners) and at least hold a dozen or so different pistols. You may not be able to choose a winner, but at least you'll know some that feel "right" and some that don't fit your hand at all. Make a list. Go to a range with rentals and shoot the ones that you liked. By then, you'll be down to 2-4 favorites.

Then you can break the deadlock by asking for opinions. Otherwise, you're going to get recommendations for about 25-30 different guns. Having been where you are, I can say that it's not terribly useful and can be very confusing.

The section in red boldface is spot on advice!

Here is what I have advised many people, especially first-time buyers -
    You want a pistol that fits YOU, and is comfortable to shoot, to YOU.
    Every Jimmy Joe-Bob can tell you what they think is best. YOU need to find this out for yourself.

There is NOTHING 'wrong' with the Browning Hi-Power, CZ, S&W, 1911 in 9mm, etc. NOTHING.

With that said, IF you want the simplest, easiest to maintain, reliable 9mm pistol available, take at look at Glock.
    Glock G17, G19, or G26.
    That list goes from 'standard' to 'medium/compact', to 'smallest' size.

I own both the G19 and G26.
    The G19 is extremely accurate and enjoy them both.
    Spare parts/accessories and aftermarket 'goodies' are readily available, and for not-too-much $$$.

Again, see what fits YOU and go from there.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    I bought my 9mm 4 years ago (M&P9), if I went back in time, I'd make the same choice again.

If I was buying one today, I'd look at the Walther PPQ.

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury
    Comfort is only one aspect, and not the most important one (IMO). If the DeWalt grip on the Hi-Point feels the best to you...it still sucks as a handgun.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Glock 17, 19, Sig 226, Sig 229, S&W M&P, Springfield XD or XD(m), Walther P99 or PPQ, Beretta 92, CZ-75, Ruger SR9...etc. All good options and I know im leaving some out. Depends on what you want to do with the gun. Target, CCW, etc. Go to a range that rents em and try them out.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    The somewhat comprehensive list of mainstream 9mm semi-autos we all like in no particular order:
    *Full Size*
    -Sig P226
    -Sig SP2022
    -Glock 17
    -Hk P30
    -Hk USP9
    -S&W M&P9
    -S&W 59 series
    -Beretta 92/M9 series
    -CZ-75
    -FN Hi-Power
    -FN FNP-9
    -Ruger P-series
    -Ruger SR9

*Compact*
    -Sig P229
    -Sig P228
    -Glock 19
    -Hk USP9c
    -Hk P2000
    -S&W M&P9c
    -Kahr P9/K9
    -Walther PPQ
    -Walther P99

Like others have stated, start with a big list, then go to a shop(or a few) and handle everything you can. Make a short list of guns that are comfortable and easy to manipulate. Shoot as much as you can on that short list. Then decide.

If it was me and money was no issue, I'd buy an Hk P30-L. Pricey, but one of the most comfortable guns I've ever held.

Last edited:

jleemd99

Oct 30, 2011
    Catonsville, Maryland
    If you are worried about not breaking the bank, I've heard good things about the Sig P2022 and Ruger SR9. I've been in the market for a 9mm myself, and have read many reviews on both, and can hardly find anything bad about either. I've been wanting to get to a store that had either in stock to see how they feel.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    There's no right or wrong answer. Most of the 9mm guns you see in the case will chamber and shoot every time with a good degree of accuracy if you do your part. Try many and see what you like.

For me...I went from a Ruger P95 for many years into an HK USP9, then this year crossed over to the dark side with a Glock 26 (I shoot G17 mags with the X-Grip). I found the Glock to be the best for me based on magazine interchangeability. Next purchase will be a companion G17.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    The somewhat comprehensive list of mainstream 9mm semi-autos we all like in no particular order:
    *Full Size*
    -Sig P226

-Glock 17
    -Hk P30
    -Hk USP9
    -S&W M&P9
    -S&W 59 series
    -Beretta 92/M9 series
    -CZ-75
    -FN Hi-Power
    -FN FNP-9

*Compact*
    -Sig P229
    -Sig P228
    -Glock 19
    -Hk USP9c
    -Hk P2000
    -S&W M&P9c
    -Kahr P9/K9
    -Walther PPQ
    -Walther P99

I like the above

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    I usually don't chime in on these kind of threads (because there are so many on the same subject) but I would suggest the M&P 9 or perhaps the Sig sauer P 250.

Attachments

• M&P 9.jpg
      M&P 9.jpg
      47.1 KB · Views: 272
    • Sig 250 002.jpg
      Sig 250 002.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 269

FFMike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Glock 19 or M&P.... I have both and love them both, although the wife has claimed residential ownership over the Glock!

So I usually shoot the M&P9C. It is my CCW when I go out of state, although that could soon change after I get some more time and figure out the reliablity on my XDS.

BeRight

Jul 19, 2012
    I have a 1911 STI Spartan V - 9mm - excellent fit/finish quality - accurate to shoot - reasonable price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom