Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Or you can make an SBR with any profile barrel. :sad20:

I can't wait to move to a free state.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I thought at one point the BCM MK12 was "approved" on the long gun database. That was marketed as a SPR , special purpose rifle, profile. Doesn't appear to be listed now in database

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    Build a 9-14” pistol with a PDW or Mod2 brace and get any barrel your heart desires (carbon fiber, pencil, fluted, etc)

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Huh, HBAR is all about barrel diameter... hence HBAR I know someone that built their lightweight rig around this barrel.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-15-m16-carbon-fiber-16-barrel-prod73555.aspx

"HBAR" is not about barrel diameter in Maryland. or weight, or anything else. It is solely about the barrel maker marketing it as "heavy barrel". In Maryland, logic and reason, or even facts, may not apply to the MSP interpretation of laws. If it is not marketed or stamped heavy barrel, stay away.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    "HBAR" is not about barrel diameter in Maryland. or weight, or anything else. It is solely about the barrel maker marketing it as "heavy barrel". In Maryland, logic and reason, or even facts, may not apply to the MSP interpretation of laws. If it is not marketed or stamped heavy barrel, stay away.

I understand but if you call/write the manufacturer they will send you a letter that those barrels are designated as an HBAR by Maryland Law, that's the route my buddy went. Remember the ONOUS is on the state to prove your violation not you.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    I understand but if you call/write the manufacturer they will send you a letter that those barrels are designated as an HBAR by Maryland Law, that's the route my buddy went. Remember the ONOUS is on the state to prove your violation not you.

if they will do that, fantastic. Not every manufacturer wants to deal with Maryland stupidity.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ruger has one specific SKU that is Md compliant, the rest are not . The dealer with them on his wall knows the difference.

Or for those willing to deal with local live humans, off the top of my head , Engage Armament, Precision Firearms, Blue Fins, Tactical Coating Systems , would all be honored to provide you with Md compliant fluted bbls , or uppers using such. Several more capable of doing such on request , but I'm not sure how much they proactively pursue that market segment .

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    Just got a call back from Trooper Smith of MSP Firearms division and he told me "HBAR means heavy barrel, if its marked as hbar or heavy from the manufacturer its good to go".

Still waiting to hear from firearms trust lawyer but it looks like that Faxon Fluted Heavy Barrel will be on the way here shortly.

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    From my Trust Attorney's Office:

"Maryland State Police's position on HBARs has generally required that the barrel is either stamped "HBAR" or is specifically advertised as a "Heavy Barrel." Generally, the safest bet is to get a barrel stamped "HBAR" since this is very much a gray area of the law. "

I just ordered my 16" Faxon Fluted Heavy Barrel :)

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    Doesn't have to be because it is sold as "Barrel Profile:Heavy Fluted"

If you're worried, print the page for your records. ;)

I followed that link and read the information regarding that barrel and do not see anywhere that the barrel is described by the manufacture as a "Heavy Barrel".

Is there anything supporting that "Heavy Fluted" meets the letter of the MD law "Heavy Barrel"?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I followed that link and read the information regarding that barrel and do not see anywhere that the barrel is described by the manufacture as a "Heavy Barrel".

Is there anything supporting that "Heavy Fluted" meets the letter of the MD law "Heavy Barrel"?
    The answer is directly in my quote; Barrel PROFILE: HEAVY Fluted.

Please, by all means, send an email to them asking for clarification. It would be helpful to many people here.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    The answer is directly in my quote; Barrel PROFILE: HEAVY Fluted.

Please, by all means, send an email to them asking for clarification. It would be helpful to many people here.

Again, the barrel is not advertised nor stamped IAW COMAR or the MSP Advisory.

There's no need to get in a letter writing campaign with MSP or the manufacture when I can just purchase one that is advertised and stamped HEAVY BARREL or H-BAR.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Again, the barrel is not advertised nor stamped IAW COMAR or the MSP Advisory.

There's no need to get in a letter writing campaign with MSP or the manufacture when I can just purchase one that is advertised and stamped HEAVY BARREL or H-BAR.
    I'M TALKING ABOUT THE FAXON BARREL!

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I'M TALKING ABOUT THE FAXON BARREL!

This is not an attack or anything, and I understand that yes the barrel may be the correct profile and all but no where do I see the Faxon barrel advertised or stamped as a HEAVY BARREL; it’s just described as Barrel Profile: Heavy Fluted. If you don’t think it’s a big deal and feel comfortable with that, pay your money and roll with it.

I personally don’t want ever put myself in a position that I’ve hired a lawyer to argue in court that I am not in possession of a banned post FSA’13 firearm because my interpretation of HEAVY FLUTED = HEAVY BARREL was correct.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    wow, and I thought I had BGOS.

Heavy fluted means a heavy profile barrel which is also fluted. There are heavy barrels which are not fluted, and fluted barrels which are not heavy as well.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    wow, and I thought I had BGOS.

Heavy fluted means a heavy profile barrel which is also fluted. There are heavy barrels which are not fluted, and fluted barrels which are not heavy as well.

:banghead:

DGI

Jan 19, 2010
    Reisterstown MD
    I ordered the Heavy Fluted Faxon Barrel. Its a heavy barrel... based on my emails with my lawyer and call to MSP, its legal

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom