• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    What is the procedure for my father in another state to gift me a handgun?

GoldGunsGirls

May 30, 2012
    Rockville
    You must have an HQL. Find a local FFL (I recommend one of the Industry Partners on this forum). The absolute easiest option is if he can drive it to MD and you guys meet at the FFL to begin the transfer process and 7-day wait. If that is not an option, he must ship it direct to the FFL via UPS or FedEx and follow their procedures. If your local receiving FFL does not accept transfers from a private individual, your father will need to have a local FFL ship it on his behalf. Expect to pay each FFL $25-$75 for their services. The MD FFL will likely be more expensive (unless your father lives in NY or CA).

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    You must have an HQL. Find a local FFL (I recommend one of the Industry Partners on this forum). The absolute easiest option is if he can drive it to MD and you guys meet at the FFL to begin the transfer process and 7-day wait. If that is not an option, he must ship it direct to the FFL via UPS or FedEx and follow their procedures. If your local receiving FFL does not accept transfers from a private individual, your father will need to have a local FFL ship it on his behalf. Expect to pay each FFL $25-$75 for their services. The MD FFL will likely be more expensive (unless your father lives in NY or CA).

May be exempt from HQL. Need more information as stated in your duplicate thread. Must be on approved handgun roster per MSP. No mag to exceed 10-Rd. Is it C&R? You may not be allowed to be gifted based on a whole bunch of factors. May want to combine your two threads asking the same question.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    1) I have HQL and no other license
    2) Semiauto handgun on roster with 10 rd or less capacity
    3) Virginia to MD and can drive it here
    4) Not C&R

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater