• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    I just picked up a really, really nice 92s from Southern Ohio Guns. These are available in good to excellent condition all over the place now, usually with the various C&R vendors (but they are NOT C&R eligible).
    jgu5uKu.jpg

YH3kmm2.jpg

I thought it would be useful for folks to see the difference between the two models. Enjoy!

First off, the most obvious and important difference: mag release is in a different position. This means that aftermarket grips will not work (like the ones I have on my 92FS). I suppose you could get some wood ones and cut a relief for the 92s mag release, but the 92FS cut will be there and won't look right IMHO.
    14mS0L4.jpg

Magazines WILL work, but ensure that they have the tabbed cut-out on the lower right side of the magazine (Beretta factory mags and some surplus will work, mec-gar and newer mil-surp will not). Dremel at your own risk but I am leaving mine alone...I have enough mags for one in the tube and two at the ready.

The 92FS mag well has a larger beveled cut in the front, allowing for faster reloads. The 92s is pretty snug; the first time I tried to load the empty mag shipped with the gun, I thought it didn't fit. That was just muscle memory from years of training on the 92FS and when I turned and aligned it, fit was snug but just fine. With this larger "flared" cut in the mag well, the front strap of the grip is slightly longer than the 92s. This is obvious by the straighter front grip on the 92s. I also have a different mainspring plug installed in my 92FS, which is why it doesn't have the lanyard loop. There is also a slight difference between the way the 92s and 92FS are cut in this area.
    1Z7Jl7d.jpg

The 92s sights are lower and have no dots, just blades. My 92FS has higher white 3-dot sights, per milspec. Whether this affects accuracy or not...well, once I get it to the range I will report.
    92FS on left, 92s on right
    a9tWDGw.jpg

92s on left, 92FS on right
    d3EYD7b.jpg

The trigger guards are different and reflect different shooting styles. The serrated front of the 92FS trigger guard vs. the smooth arcing curve of the 92s. I prefer not to use the trigger guard for offhand placement, and prefer the 92s version. The triggers themselves are shaped slightly differently, but they seem to feel the same. The 92s is not as crisp but I have not given it a good cleaning and lube yet so I will cover that in more detail after the range trip.
    MXh0brk.jpg

zKHSuf4.jpg

The finish of the 92s is simply beautiful. It has a really nice rich, deep blue on both the steel slide and aluminum frame. Compared to the standard flat-black Beretta factory finish on the 92FS, I much prefer the 92s. I have seen even well-worn examples that I actually thought might be steel-framed due to the way the aluminum finish had worn. (Note that my own 92FS in these pictures was a police trade-in with a lot of wear and some dings that I cleaned up and refinished in Alumahyde-II from Brownells...and 3 years later I am VERY pleased with it).

Note that the safety is not ambidextrous, operable only from the left side of the slide. This is my least favorite feature of the 92s, as I prefer to grip the safety to operate the slide when admin loading and unloading to ensure it is engaged.
    CB20Vrf.jpg

Marauder

Revolver Addict
    Dec 14, 2010
    Thanks, now I regret selling my Beretta. Guess I need to go get the HQL...:sad20:

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Discovered one more difference today while cleaning up the new (to me) 92s. The 92FS has another firing pin block built into the slide that was added as part of the M9 contract (I think). This can be seen if you look down at the slide while dry firing in double action. There is a block of steel the rises up from the top of the slide, just forward of the rear sight and to the right, behind the extractor. The 92s predates this feature.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the comparison! Hope it helps!

Discovered one more difference today while cleaning up the new (to me) 92s. The 92FS has another firing pin block built into the slide that was added as part of the M9 contract (I think). This can be seen if you look down at the slide while dry firing in double action. There is a block of steel the rises up from the top of the slide, just forward of the rear sight and to the right, behind the extractor. The 92s predates this feature.

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the comparison! Hope it helps!

Great thread. One small clarification to the above post, though: the firing pin block in the top of the slide was added to the 92S-1 (later 92SB) for U.S. Air Force trials in 1981.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I carried that weapon for 25 years on duty and I always enjoyed it. It worked and was easy to clean even in low light. Went off every time. I bought one from someone here a year or so ago and enjoy shooting it on a regular basis. Great find!

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    wow. a friend picked up a 92FS today. I kinda tried to talk him out of it; that's ok, there is a lot to like about this awesome firearm.

I discovered the quick take-away / disassemble before Jackie Chan had it in one of his movies.

Happy to show anyone the trick, just bring me your gun. :)

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    Great thread. One small clarification to the above post, though: the firing pin block in the top of the slide was added to the 92S-1 (later 92SB) for U.S. Air Force trials in 1981.

Thanks man. And appreciate the correction too!

I'm with you guys..."grew up" shooting it to qualify in the Navy and whenever I need to work on fundamentals, the 92 is the first gun I reach for. Great gun. I can't wait for the range day to try the 92s!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Nice. I resisted Beretta for many years but my M9 which I bought last August has become a favorite. Insanely accurate.

If I ever get an HQL Ill take advantage of these mildly used Beretta's coming into the country.

sig63

Jun 15, 2009
    FREED AT LAST!!!
    RANGE REPORT

Shot both M9/92FS and the Italian Police 92S today. Shot the Navy qual with the M9 with a perfect score...not that this is really a challenge or to toot my horn, but just to establish a baseline for comparison. Then with the 92S I shot a full mag slow fire from standing position; this pretty much confirmed the accuracy was exceptional (one jagged hole in the target). Then I did some turn, draw, fire drills. Here are my thoughts:

Sights: The shorter, black-blade sights were really tough to pick out against a dark target even in full sun. Easily fixed with some paint or some pricey custom smithin' but both change the gun from its stock configuration, if you care about that. Still, point shooting accuracy was pretty good at 7 and 15 yards.

Safety: Not as big and not as easy to operate as the one on the 92FS. (I think this part is interchangeable with the 92FS, but I am not in a hurry to start Frankengunning it.)

Mag release/changing: This was thebiggest problem for me after the sights. AS I only had one mag I was simulating the mag changes anyway, but I found myself pressing instinctively for the 92FS release. This is a training issue, but going between both guns could be a problem. Also, there is absolutely no flare in the magwell so mag changes are not as fast and easy as the 92FS.

Overall I like it, it is every bit a Beretta and a really nice gun, quality is outstanding and it shoots great. Is it a combat gun? Not as configured...there are definitely better options for that (including the 92FS). YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom