• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frothytoast

Sep 23, 2013
    Hi folks,

So I just went and purchased a G19 Gen4 from Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring today and was told I would probably have to have my HQL in order to pick it up (oh well, at least I got my 15rd magazines) but there is no information on what training I actually need to acquire the license. It makes mention of a 4 hour course and a live fire exercise but no info on where this can be achieved and how much this will cost aside from the $50 app fee. Does anyone know what is needed or is it still up in the air? I know a hunters safety course will suffice but they are booked for the next few months it seems and I don't even know how long it'll take for my background check and HQL to go through. If my gun is ready to release in 2 weeks and I'm still waiting for my HQL what am I supposed to do? The guy at the store said they are hoping the new laws would be postponed until everything was ironed out but I'm not counting on that. I'm extremely confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    You are a week too late, my friend...why did you wait??? You will get great info here, but there are lots of "wait and see" what the new laws mean so I believe you will be in limbo for quite a while...just the way Marty wanted it. Good luck.

MadCat0911

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2013
    Hanover
    You're stuck in limbo until you get an HQL. You cannot pick up a handgun after 1 October without an HQL unless you're current/retired LEO or active/retired military. Unless some injunction comes through, your handgun will sit there until you possess an HQL.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    1. You cannot pick up your Glock until you obtain your HQL. Any handgun transfer in Maryland after October 1 requires an HQL. There is no way to obtain your HQL until the Maryland State Police publish the application, which they're not expected to do until October 1.

2. If you already own any regulated firearm in Maryland (handgun, "assault weapon") that you purchased in Maryland, applying for your HQL should only require your fingerprints ($50-$75), a background check, and the application fee ($50).

3. If you don't already own a regulated firearm, or if you don't qualify for any of the other exemptions, you'll need to do everything in #2 plus take a training class that includes live fire. No course requirements have been laid out yet.

Basically, you're looking at 3-6 months minimum before you can get your Glock. Not mention at least another $125, possibly as much as $200.

Sorry bud, you picked the wrong time to buy.

frothytoast

Sep 23, 2013
    You are a week too late, my friend...why did you wait??? You will get great info here, but there are lots of "wait and see" what the new laws mean so I believe you will be in limbo for quite a while...just the way Marty wanted it. Good luck.

Didn't have the money to burn until Saturday. Just Guns said they had some and neglected to mention that they would take their entire inventory to the Timonium fair. When I went there they treated me like shit and basically said I was stupid for assuming they would have it. Not fond of that place.

You should have bought from Scott's Gunsmithing. You could have picked it up on Monday the 30th, no HQL required.

Didn't know about that place. Called about 20 different shops seeing if they had one in stock and Atlantic just happened to, seemed reputable and my purchasing experience went well enough. Wish I'd had known..

frothytoast

Sep 23, 2013
    1. You cannot pick up your Glock until you obtain your HQL. Any handgun transfer in Maryland after October 1 requires an HQL. There is no way to obtain your HQL until the Maryland State Police publish the application, which they're not expected to do until October 1.

2. If you already own any regulated firearm in Maryland (handgun, "assault weapon") that you purchased in Maryland, applying for your HQL should only require your fingerprints ($50-$75), a background check, and the application fee ($50).

3. If you don't already own a regulated firearm, or if you don't qualify for any of the other exemptions, you'll need to do everything in #2 plus take a training class that includes live fire. No course requirements have been laid out yet.

Basically, you're looking at 3-6 months minimum before you can get your Glock. Not mention at least another $125, possibly as much as $200.

I'm aware of all the stipulations involved. I was just curious if anyone knew what the courses are supposed to be like in terms of availability and cost. What are the chances of this law being delayed at this point? Will Atlantic Guns hold onto it that long?

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    I was just curious if anyone knew what the courses are supposed to be like in terms of availability and cost.

Nobody knows yet. They haven't been specified. What we do know is that there aren't nearly enough ranges or training officers to handle the expected load.

What are the chances of this law being delayed at this point?

Nobody knows, but don't expect it. It will go into effect at least temporarily as that is a requirement for a lawsuit against it.

Will Atlantic Guns hold onto it that long?

Call them and ask. One thing to keep in mind is that "Not Disapproved" from the MSP expires after 30 days, so you may well have to go through the whole purchase process again after you get your HQL.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

And good luck actually taking possession of that 15 rounder.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm aware of all the stipulations involved. I was just curious if anyone knew what the courses are supposed to be like in terms of availability and cost. What are the chances of this law being delayed at this point? Will Atlantic Guns hold onto it that long?

Ask the same question next year. Lol

MSP doesn't even know what they are doing it seems. With the purchase backlogs and new HQL.. may take months.

Publius

Mar 18, 2013
    Ellicott City
    Hi folks,

So I just went and purchased a G19 Gen4 from Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring today and was told I would probably have to have my HQL in order to pick it up (oh well, at least I got my 15rd magazines) but there is no information on what training I actually need to acquire the license. It makes mention of a 4 hour course and a live fire exercise but no info on where this can be achieved and how much this will cost aside from the $50 app fee. Does anyone know what is needed or is it still up in the air? I know a hunters safety course will suffice but they are booked for the next few months it seems and I don't even know how long it'll take for my background check and HQL to go through. If my gun is ready to release in 2 weeks and I'm still waiting for my HQL what am I supposed to do? The guy at the store said they are hoping the new laws would be postponed until everything was ironed out but I'm not counting on that. I'm extremely confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't be surprised if one of the groups preparing a lawsuit contacts you. Check this website often this week in case they send you a private message. Although, to be fair, there will be plenty of potential plaintiffs out there.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    See if you can get on a waiting list for a hunter safety course in case someone drops out or they find they have an opening for some other reason. Best I can come up with now.

Vassago

Sep 23, 2013
    MoCo
    Gilbert's has something on website about new class satisfying MD gun law for HQL. It's like 145 for members and 150 something for non members and I think it's a two day class. Gilbert's indie range in MoCo

Vassago

Sep 23, 2013
    MoCo
    I'm in similar boat bought my AR in early sep and H&K mp5 .22 in August. I picked up AR on the 19th but have to wait 30 days for my PPQ M2 so I also will need a HQL just not a class cause I own the AR now. I'll be doing my HQL paperwork ASAP.

Vassago

Sep 23, 2013
    MoCo
    Do you do live scan finger prints before HQL app or fill in app then finger prints. The OP'er might need to know this also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom